Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Isn't "pulse" just an Indian culinary term for a kind of legume recipe? How is that not actual nutritious food?
from my googling, I believe it is the name of the legume. I would consider it actual nutritious food. I would just be careful with an overweight person eating it since its very high in calories. like nuts, you are fine if you can limit the amount to just a few but fat people aren't good at limiting themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 04:14 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
from my googling, I believe it is the name of the legume. I would consider it actual nutritious food. I would just be careful with an overweight person eating it since its very high in calories. like nuts, you are fine if you can limit the amount to just a few but fat people aren't good at limiting themselves.
I limit myself to 2 tablespoons per day. Its required as per our code for eating in hinduism.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:47 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I am permitted to eat dairy, but must avoid Eggs & Mushrooms. Will check out pea protein.

I usually eat 2-3 meals per day. Usually its non sugary cereal with milk and berries for breakfast (brunch if I wake up late), rice with green veggies for Lunch or dinner (depends on when I wake up), and Fresh fruits + Nuts for snack.
but you didn't answer my other questions.....
2-3 meals a day with the tiny quantities you are reporting are suspect. I don't think you are getting complete proteins or enough protein. I also think you are eating white rice, which is junk. It would be interesting to know how many calories you are eating a day. Have you ever keep track? Like on myfitnesspal or livestrong? I think the lack of proper nutrition is the reason for your fatigue & exhaustion post workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I limit myself to 2 tablespoons per day. Its required as per our code for eating in hinduism.
2 tablespoons of pulse per day? that's all?!? A standard serving of legumes is 1/2 cup. You need a revamp of your diet. Go to the counseling/medical center at your school & ask to see a dietician. He/she should be able to work within your cultural guidelines to get you on the right track.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 AM

254 posts, read 318,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
...since there are so many fat folks it's ok to be one of them.
I should put that on a T-shirt.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:52 PM

209 posts, read 465,992 times
Oh this is simple stuff. People convince themselves they are apart from natural laws. It's not about vigorous or not vigorous. It is about balance of in and out. There are no exceptions to this beyond variation in sex, age, height, weight, current composition of lean to fat tissue. You do what you can do in accordance with your goals and needs in terms of exercise. You can get by just fine on moderate exercise and nothing else as long as you follow the rules of in vs. out with good quality nutrition. If that is not enough you adjust at either end.

Most folks will not achieve artificial aspirations handed down to them from the commercial fitness industry. It is much more about the results of what a complete physical examination says. What is the prognosis for disease? If it is not good, then fitness activities and proper diet are the predominant factors in prevention or reversal.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 PM

129 posts, read 250,318 times
I'd say so, but my diet even more so. I've lost 45 lbs and 17% body fat so far.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 PM

129 posts, read 250,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunStorm View Post
I'm age 42 and have 19.8% body fat currently. I'm told that means 19.8% of my body mass is fat. It was also recommended to me by the sports nutritionist that calculated my body weight and body fat on some computerized scale... that I not drop below 15% body fat. Actually, she said where I was at was good and probably shouldn't drop any further in fat but that if I did not to decreases below 15%.

Everyone is different both physiologically and anatomically, so, charts on body fat provide guidelines in my opinion and not absolutes for every individual in a one size fits all things.

I'd like to get to between 16% and 17% body fat. I think I'd have the ideal definition and vaselerity in my physique then.

I'm trying to increase muscle mass while reducing my body fat. So far it is working.

Here is an article with a chart for "ideal" percentage of body fat per age group. Pictures depicting, roughly, what people tend to look like with X percentage of body fat.

Ideal Body Fat Percentage Chart: How Lean Should You Be? - BuiltLean

So, yeah, my workout is "sufficient" per se.

Personally, I think I look in between the photos of the men that are 15% and 20%, but closer to the 15%.

I'd like to get to looking slightly like the image of the man at 10-12% percentage body fat.
Ugh, after seeing these pictures I'm definitely not 20% body fat like it said when I got it measured today.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM

254 posts, read 318,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calispartan View Post
Ugh, after seeing these pictures I'm definitely not 20% body fat like it said when I got it measured today.
Maybe you are. Go with the percentage you were weighed or measured at. The pictures were supposed to provide a rough idea of how men and women look generally at X percentage of body fat. While mine is supposedly 19.8% body fat I think I look visually much closer to the photo of the guy at 15% body fat than the guy at 20%. But I'm browned skinned too, light brown, so, darker skin usually provides the visual appearance of more muscular definition than paler, white skin. Hence, the reason you see so many bodybuilders with tans during competition time.

Also, one's anatomy and muscular structure can probably cause more definition at X percentage body fat than another person of the same sex and age with that same percentage body fat. I would think anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness