Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times

Advertisements

I swim maybe 3-5 days a week at the LA fitness close to my house. I about 2000 meters, alternating between freestyle and breast stroke. The pool is pretty small , only 3 lanes, 25 meters, and it makes it difficult to swim laps with the lane all for yourself. Many times you have to share lane with someone.
That is all good as long as you respect each others space.

The issue I'm having is when some people, most don't, but when some people starts to swim in a lane with already 2 people in it. I try to swim at a good and steady pace without having to stop and rest between laps. I can do that if I don't feel rushed. The other day at the gym, myself and this other lady is swimming and some guy proceed to swim in the same lane as us. No matter what, I had someone right behind me or next to me the whole time. Forget swimming breaststroke or backstroke at that point. When we were passing each other, 2 people had to swim side by side for a while (one way) , as the third person is forced to wait at the end of the pool in order to swim. It's just frustrating and my biggest pet peeve at the pool .

That was my rant! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 01:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Yea, it isn't fun, especially when you aren't an extraordinarily strong swimmer like me! I finally gave up and waited for slower times.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,421,066 times
Find a bigger pool.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:10 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Don't go to a gym. Other people's annoying/disgusting behaviors irritated me so much every time I went that I gave up and set up a home gym. Now I actually enjoy working out.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:33 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I swim maybe 3-5 days a week at the LA fitness close to my house. I about 2000 meters, alternating between freestyle and breast stroke. The pool is pretty small , only 3 lanes, 25 meters, and it makes it difficult to swim laps with the lane all for yourself. Many times you have to share lane with someone.
That is all good as long as you respect each others space.

The issue I'm having is when some people, most don't, but when some people starts to swim in a lane with already 2 people in it. I try to swim at a good and steady pace without having to stop and rest between laps. I can do that if I don't feel rushed. The other day at the gym, myself and this other lady is swimming and some guy proceed to swim in the same lane as us. No matter what, I had someone right behind me or next to me the whole time. Forget swimming breaststroke or backstroke at that point. When we were passing each other, 2 people had to swim side by side for a while (one way) , as the third person is forced to wait at the end of the pool in order to swim. It's just frustrating and my biggest pet peeve at the pool .

That was my rant! Thanks.

You already sound annoying.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:11 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
More than two people to a lane is ridiculous. Is there a sign up board? We use one at my gym and if you want to share a lane you need to ask - to just be polite. If all the lanes are filled with 2 people than the next person needs to wait. I would be highly pissed off if some clod did that to me.
If your gym does not have a sign up board maybe you can suggest one. This is no different than signing up to use a cardio machine.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:53 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
For most people, the gym you are using is probably fine. It sounds like your standards are too high for the gym you are using. You get what you pay for.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:15 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
Circle swimming doesn't work well.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
There are other fitness facilities in Chicago, but this one is close to the house and my son's school. I bring my 9 month old daughter to the gym as they offer childcare.

Home gym wouldn't work in my apartment. Too small with old wooden creaky floors, besides, I wouldn't be able to swim :-).

Maybe my standards are too high. Maybe people going to LA fitness lacking etiquette..But I will ask the staff to put up a sign. Good idea.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 10-06-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 08:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Swimming has its own etiquette - but many don't understand it.

It is not reasonable to expect a lane to yourself just because you got there first. If there are two of you to a lane, you can jointly decide with the other swimmer to swim side by side ("splitting the lane") or circle swim. Circle swim means stay on the right side of the lane on each lap.

If there are more than two of you circle swimming is the only choice. It is the responsibility of each swimmer, fast or slow, to do their best to not obstruct the others. That means:

- stay on the right side of the lane
- when you stop at the wall do so all the way on the left of the lane giving the next swimmer room to turn
- if you are the faster swimmer you sometimes have to pass. You have to pass quickly when you have clear water on the left side to pass
- never stop in the middle of the pool
- if you are turning with swimmers behind you do your turn in the middle of the wall so you can easily push off the wall on the right side so you don't run into the swimmer behind you
- don't swim backstroke unless you can swim straight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness