Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 02:52 PM

436 posts, read 1,171,444 times

Advertisements

Hello friends, I was wondering if any of you are working on on maintaining a good Ph balance. At the moment I am trying to increase my alkaline level, but its hard and as a much as I hate to I am now thinking maybe I should try some supplements rather than rely on diet only. So can any of you guys give me your take on this subject. sorry to mod if this should be on the food forum, its just that its more health related for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 10,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
Hello friends, I was wondering if any of you are working on on maintaining a good Ph balance. At the moment I am trying to increase my alkaline level, but its hard and as a much as I hate to I am now thinking maybe I should try some supplements rather than rely on diet only. So can any of you guys give me your take on this subject. sorry to mod if this should be on the food forum, its just that its more health related for me.
Hi Timothy,

I know that balancing the pH can be tricky because there is more than nutrition that affects it. Stress is a major one. It might be just about impossible to get your pH in range if you are constantly under heavy stress.

Another factor is exercise. Since your post is under Exercise and Fitness, you may already have this one covered. Daily walking for an hour can do wonders.

Another factor is toxic chemicals you may encounter on a daily basis. Laundry soap and dryer sheets place a heavy load of toxic chemicals in the air and on clothes that are taken into the body. They definitely have an effect on pH. It may be hard to stay on top of this with pH balancing foods. A better approach would be to reduce the toxic chemicals in your environment.

I do eat a lot of raw foods but also take extra green food supplement powders to help balance the toxic chemicals I am not able to control outside of my home.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,841,656 times
I have been involved with sports, performance and fitness my entire life and I have never heard of anyone being concerned with or working on maintaining their Ph balance. I thought this thread was about pool maintenance at first.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I have been involved with sports, performance and fitness my entire life and I have never heard of anyone being concerned with or working on maintaining their Ph balance. I thought this thread was about pool maintenance at first.

You are not alone.

Pool maintenance would be more appropriate since pH can actually be controlled.

The pH of the human body is tightly regulated by respiratory and metabolic checks and balances that keep the body in a tightly regulated pH band of 7.35-7.45.

It is not humanly possible to make oneself "more alkaline" but there a bunch of quack sites out there that promote this fairy tale.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You are not alone.

Pool maintenance would be more appropriate since pH can actually be controlled.

The pH of the human body is tightly regulated by respiratory and metabolic checks and balances that keep the body in a tightly regulated pH band of 7.35-7.45.

It is not humanly possible to make oneself "more alkaline" but there a bunch of quack sites out there that promote this fairy tale.
I kinda figured that. Sounds like something some internet wack job created in order to get money from people.

OP, what symptoms do you have that makes you think you need to increase your alkaline level? What makes you think that adjusting it will give you better health? Im just curious. What is your current nutritional intake/program.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:57 AM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,504,682 times
Detailed Listing of Acid / Alkaline Forming Foods

The theory is that a person who has a more acid body is more likely to be sick. I have also seen it stated that cancer cannot grow in a more alkaline environment. I found this very interesting.
The above website is one that lists foods and their composition. Just do a search for the acid/alkaline content of foods. Nothing else is needed to change the body's makeup. If you have a bad taste in your mouth, you probably have an acid prone body. Changing that is as easy as changing what you eat. Nothing else is necessary.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:16 AM

Im going to do some Googling on this as it all sounds like hogwash to me. Its like another "diet" that someone created for fat people who are just too lazy to do what doctors, nutritionist and personal trainers have been saying for decades - eat healthy and exercise.

I did find that there have been no official clinical studies pertaining to eating alkalinity/acid foods and the health benefits provided to humans.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:09 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Detailed Listing of Acid / Alkaline Forming Foods

The theory is that a person who has a more acid body is more likely to be sick. I have also seen it stated that cancer cannot grow in a more alkaline environment. I found this very interesting.
The above website is one that lists foods and their composition. Just do a search for the acid/alkaline content of foods. Nothing else is needed to change the body's makeup. If you have a bad taste in your mouth, you probably have an acid prone body. Changing that is as easy as changing what you eat. Nothing else is necessary.
Not true.

Its not physiologically possible to change the pH of the "body" via diet.

The pH of the mouth and stomach are not the same as the pH of the body.

Also, while it is true that cancer cells cannot live in an alkaline environment, neither can normal cells.....makes it kind of difficult to take advantage of clinically.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness