Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times

Advertisements

as I journey through hitting the gym to lose weight, I find myself unsure about how many sets/reps i should be doing.
i had my free session with the personal trainer and i liked the workout we did, since it worked my lower body and my sides and arms to an extent. i plan on doing this but other than that im beyond lost and last thing i want to do is bust my butt to see no results or see some results and plateau soon.

i guess im overall trying to turn my BMI which sits at 39% into musle and make sure i don't have left over skin hanging and such
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Remember that every workout will work for you until you hit the 6 week point. So plan to work in 6 week chunks.

One of the lifting gurus that I follow said that a good rule to follow is to always do about 25-30 reps of each exercise, each workout. So if you are going for hypertrophy do 3 sets of 10. Trying to build strength do 5 sets of 5. Once you figure out what you want to do their are countless plans to be found on the internet that work. Don't try to create your own workout. Just pick a plan and stick it out to the end.

I'm naturally lanky, so I will do a six week program of hypertrophy, then follow it with a six week program of Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Adds some weight to my frame and I get stronger. Then will just do kettlebells, bodyweight and trail running to stay in shape the rest of the year.

Personally for me the exercise that shreds the most off of my frame are kettlebell swings. Do about 100-200 kettlebell swings 4-5 days a week and I almost have the beginnings of a six pack. Which at my age is quite a feat.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:23 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,545 times
If you're new, the standard 3 sets of 10 reps will work just fine. Once you've consistently been in the gym for 6 months-1 year straight is the time you can start worrying about small details like that.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
I tend to agree with the previous two responses. The key is to do compound exercises and lift to failure. The optimal number of reps is between 5 and 12. As far as sets, it will depend on how many different exercises you do. For example, if I do 5 sets of 5 reps of squats and the same with deadlifts, I don't have a lot left in the tank. I might do some additional lunges, box step ups, and hanging leg raises. I will also warm up with some machines before I start the squats and deadlifts. I'll do 3 sets of one leg, leg extensions and and 3 sets of one leg, leg press, and a set or two on the abductor and adductor machines.

One way to look at it is try to limit yourself to what you can do in one hour of hard lifting. There is no research to prove there is an optimum number of reps and sets that you should do. It probably differs for everyone. The recommendations you will hear are what people who spend time in the gym tend to repeat. They read the same information from the same websites and lifting gurus. One thing I have learned from years of lifting is there are probably diminishing returns for everyone additional set of an exercise that you do. In other words, you probably get most of your potential results from the first set and the least from the 5th set.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times
im also lost in terms of hat machines to use.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
im also lost in terms of hat machines to use.
Many serious weightlifters will not touch a machine. I like to mix dumbbells, barbells, machines, pull-ups and weighted dips. I only do curls with dumbbells. I usually uses machines for presses because of some old shoulder injuries. For abs, I do hanging leg raises from a pull-up bar.

Watch other people in the gym and see what they do. Go to some of the websites that have been recommended here. You will change and adjust your routine over time.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:22 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,165,715 times
As others have said, 3 sets of 10 reps is a perfect building amount. Once you get your first six weeks in, start using weight that allows you to do 3 sets of 6 reps. Use that weight each workout until you're able to do 3 sets of 10 reps, then add weight to get you down to six reps again.

As for machines, they have their place. Pull downs , low pulleys, seated bench presses and seated shoulder press machines should be part of your workout. Free weights should be the main weights in your workout though. They build strength in a way a machine can't. Use proper form. Ask a more experienced user to check your form. As long as your not interfering with their workout, they usually like to help.

You can also pick up books on exercise. One great one I recommend is "Getting Stronger" by Bill Pearl. It has a lot of information about exercise and nutrition.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:28 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Many serious weightlifters will not touch a machine. I like to mix dumbbells, barbells, machines, pull-ups and weighted dips. I only do curls with dumbbells. I usually uses machines for presses because of some old shoulder injuries. For abs, I do hanging leg raises from a pull-up bar.

Watch other people in the gym and see what they do. Go to some of the websites that have been recommended here. You will change and adjust your routine over time.
Agreed. I'd definitely suggest compound movements - pullups, squats, bench/military press, deadlifts, pushups, planks, etc over isos.

Oh and if you're serious about "dropping weight", don't spend 5 minutes between sets just sitting around. Superset, jump rope, or do something else to keep your heart rate high.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:21 PM

209 posts, read 465,992 times
I like single set, machine only, 6-10 or 8-12 rep, slowly on a 4-2-4 range. 4 counts up, 2 in place, 4 counts down to honest failure. This is a beginners protocol to gain results in a time efficient manner. It will hurt. I would stay away from advanced bar bell lifts like dead lift, squat until you have the proper instruction and flexibility to do those lifts safely.

An excellent reference is exrx.net from American College of Sports Medicine.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:01 AM

355 posts, read 1,115,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino1 View Post
I would stay away from advanced bar bell lifts like dead lift, squat until you have the proper instruction and flexibility to do those lifts safely.
?? Proper form must be learned regardless of age or experience. If they have access to a personal trainer, then this shouldn't be a problem.

Beginners can certainly include these lifts in their routine, even if they have to start with minimal weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness