Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times

Advertisements

I am so thrilled! just got home from the gym & appointment with the PT.

I've regained 90% of normal mobility of right shoulder. Funny, right shoulder has better range of motion than left. I still have some muscular tightness & pain in the right deltoid. However, I have near perfect mobility when my scapula (shoulder blades) are stable. When one is unable to maintain proper scapular stability, the head of the femur rotates & pushes forward, making "shoulder" (& supportive muscle) injuries more common.

The latest, cutting edge research is all about primal movement reprogramming. And the most basic movement is about breathing & the diaphragm, then all about the core, not just the abds, but all the muscles that connect to the spine in the torso region. That is exactly what Dr Perry Nicholson of Stop Chasing Pain and FMS proponents (Gray Cook founder) teach. That is the other work I've been doing with my Neurokinetic Therapy practitioner!!

So, he showed me 4 movement patterns in which he broke down the movement into respetitive increments, and then we put the pieces together. During the breakdown phase, he would briskly but lightly brush the targeted area, and if needed he assisted me with the movement until I could do it on my own. It was really powerful. Here's the basics 4, but I don't think I can do justice to the explanation. I Have seen these exercises posted online by the mobility vs stability, and NKT experts.
1) quadra-ped patterning
2) quadra-ped movement
3) lateral rolling
4) side chop

I still have a modified workout, still no pushing, but I'm so excited the situation is not what it seemed.

I can't emphasize enough to find a practitioner that is using these new treatment methodologies, even if you have to pay cash (I did). If you see the company/HMO doctor/therapist, you're going to get standard care & prosibly wind up having an unnecessary surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 02:38 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
I trained hard today and the progress is coming but that feeling in my shoulder is still hovering around, just taunting me. It is almost like it is telling me that it can stop me when I least expect it. I always have that concern in my mind that it can happen again, I just wonder whdn that is going to be.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:08 PM

3 posts, read 2,373 times
As soon as you mentioned having one injury worse than all the rest for healing time I knew it was going to be a shoulder injury. I used to play football and in 2 consecutive seasons I tore and pulled both rotator cuffs, these were horrible. I had many other injuries too (I was nicknamed the band-aid!), another bad one was an ankle sprain which I only took 1 week off for, every practice was like I just re-sprained it. I found these wraps King Brand Shoulder Pain Treatment eventually, I don't think I could live without them anymore! One relieves the pain and inflammation using cold compression while the other heals the injury by stimulating blood to it.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:53 AM

72 posts, read 113,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Usually with an injury it seems like it's your body's way of telling you to take a break. When I get injured I will take a week or two off and reassess the injury. Will work on stuff like joint mobility, fix my diet, take walks instead of run and use my foam roller more often.

Any type of bench pressing seems to give me issues and I don't really need those muscles for the sports that I do. Switched over to military presses, kettlebell presses and have not had any issues.
Completely agree, whenever my knee, or lately it's been my hip flexor, acts up in a way that I seriously can't move my joint, I take a week or so off from running. I'll take a day or 2 off from doing anything, but will change the type of workout I do so I continue to get a good workout in, but don't make anything worse than it is. I usually like to do total body weight lifting, with high reps and low weight and get in cardio any way I can without having to run or use an elliptical. When it still bothers me after some time off, I know I have to get it checked or I know it's the many tiny tears in my knee getting worse

I never suggest pushing through an injury or pain if it is consistently there.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 PM

25 posts, read 54,674 times
I deal with a torn labrum and mild tear in my rotator cuff of my right shoulder. It is my throwing shoulder and yes I played softball....a lot. I found that if I do not work it out every week and do band work with it every day, it will hurt. I had MRI's done with contrast on the shoulder(boy did that needle hurt!!). My tear is in the front and there is a small bone chip that is "floating" near the labrum. This was all a result from a shoulder dislocation that occurred when I was 16. I have dislocated it 4 more times in the past 15 years but I figured how to pop it back in myself. With exercises i found that when doing bench presses, I could not go past 90 degrees of elbow bend or i experience pain. Same goes with above shoulder lifts. So I stay at 90.

Its been an experience because every time I get to a point where it doesn't hurt anymore or I cant feel it. It reminds me that its there.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:21 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
My worst injury has been an umbilical hernia. I had surgery on it once a few years ago.

Now, it has recently came back. It's turned my innie into an outie. I'm squatting 315x10 right now and incline benching 120lb db's for 6 reps.

I can push it back in, but it won't get better. I'm seeing the surgeon next week then hopefully getting it fixed. I'll take around 6 weeks off or so after. I can lift with it now, but it won't get better so I just want to get it out of the way.

I've had some shoulder, knee, and wrist injuries through the years. I either wrap them and/or take time off. I try to work around them but I'm not afraid to give them time off if they hurt. Pushing through and making stuff worse is far worth than taking some time off to heal. I switched my leg day with another day last week because my knee was bothering me. I've pretty much cut out squats until I get my hernia fixed, which is depressing since they were going up a lot.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
My worst injury has been an umbilical hernia. I had surgery on it once a few years ago.

Now, it has recently came back. It's turned my innie into an outie. I'm squatting 315x10 right now and incline benching 120lb db's for 6 reps.

I can push it back in, but it won't get better. I'm seeing the surgeon next week then hopefully getting it fixed. I'll take around 6 weeks off or so after. I can lift with it now, but it won't get better so I just want to get it out of the way.

I've had some shoulder, knee, and wrist injuries through the years. I either wrap them and/or take time off. I try to work around them but I'm not afraid to give them time off if they hurt. Pushing through and making stuff worse is far worth than taking some time off to heal. I switched my leg day with another day last week because my knee was bothering me. I've pretty much cut out squats until I get my hernia fixed, which is depressing since they were going up a lot.
Join the club. I feel incomplete without squats on leg day, to me leg training without good old squats is not leg training but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 PM

I've been doing goblet squats, tried back squats but it tweaked my shoulder too much. Thankfully able to do front squats with an alternative hand position. I've been doing leg workouts 3x a week, and I'm actually loving it.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 PM

I got released by my physical therapist today to do light (baby IMO) weights for pushing movements. Haven't done anything like that for about 6 weeks. Yesterday, did sled push with a 45 lb plate (used to 3 or one of the trainers on board). Today, did a variety of chest press movements with 10 lb dumbbells. It was hard at first, and I definitely am feeling it now. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling it in the pecs, but in the muscles that are known compensators. I'm going to have to deal with that. But, at least I'm in the next stage of rehab. Happy.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I got released by my physical therapist today to do light (baby IMO) weights for pushing movements. Haven't done anything like that for about 6 weeks. Yesterday, did sled push with a 45 lb plate (used to 3 or one of the trainers on board). Today, did a variety of chest press movements with 10 lb dumbbells. It was hard at first, and I definitely am feeling it now. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling it in the pecs, but in the muscles that are known compensators. I'm going to have to deal with that. But, at least I'm in the next stage of rehab. Happy.
Good. I have been.out of.commision for almost 2 weeks because I got contact dermatitis, I.don't even know how that happened but it has been hell. I start again tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness