Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:37 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times

Advertisements

How is your approach to health and fitness? What I mean by this is how do treat your health and fitness journey. Before I explain myself in more detail I want to say that this post is not intended to critizize, judge or ridicule anyone who participates, we are all different individuals from all walks of life and backgrounds so we do things different but by listening to others and sharing different points of view we learn and become better. Ok here I go, I approach my health and fitness journey as a business. With a business you must work hard to succeed, you only get out of it what you put into it. For me a business is to be taken serious and not play around with it. I don't like to approach health and fitness as an outlet or hobby because in my opinion a hobby is something that I would do for fun and do it whenever I get a chance, a hobby to me is relaxing and therapeutic. An outlet to me is an activity for releasing stress or vent out frustrations. I don't wan't my health and fitness to be any of that. However fitness is something I must enjoy and want to do, much like a business, and as with any business there will be good times and bad times, success and faliure, joy and frustration. I have always had this approach but it is like this now more than ever before. This is what works for me. What is you approach? I am ready to hear and learn fromm all of you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
I hate watching my diet and I hate exercising. I just see it as something I must do in order to be satisfied with how I look.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:30 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I want to look good. I want to be in good health. I want to my senior years to be active. In order to achieve all of those things I eat healthy and I exercise.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I hate watching my diet and I hate exercising. I just see it as something I must do in order to be satisfied with how I look.
Ok, interesting point of view. This is probably how many people approach it too, kind of like how some people approach their jobs they hate it but it is what they need to do to pay the bills. In other words it is a necessary evil. Nonetheless if it works for you then by all means go for it.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
My approach is actually somewhat opposite to you Orlando. I think it is important to build exersize and proper eating into everyday/every-year life.

I've known too many people who get temporarily inspired physically, and then drop it all. Training to complete one marathon is a common example, after it's accomplished they stop running and get out of shape again.

I also think busy people need to grab exersize where and when they can, sometimes quickly. That's why formal exersize like health clubs and social exersize groups don't interest me much because they demand more time and eventually, you have to turn away from them or risk missing out on other things.

Meanwhile fun things like sports keep me coming back for more. Hikes and bike rides as well. I also run alot with my dog because it benefits two souls. But ask me to workout at a health club 3 times a week for 3 years and I'd: a) get bored, b) often think it is drudgery, c) eventually stop going.

Granted I'm generally merely in decent to good shape rather than excellent shape.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:41 PM

209 posts, read 466,079 times
Like a business plan, establish firm goals and gain true understanding of what is needed to attain them. Be realistic. If you train like a pro basketball player, you still won't be one. If you train like a body builder, well...same result unless you have the genetic gifts to allow success. We have been sold a BS program from the "fitness" industry that is not functional or wise for most of us. Some guidelines to follow:
01) Don't die. Use your training and diet in service of this goal.
02) Have fun. If there is something that you want to do but can't, train so that you can.
03) Don't over do it. What is the point of hurting your self.
04) Master the universe (or at least an environment you choose). In this case you will be going for it and accept the risk of injury and/or failure in the pursuit of that interest.

Some of these guidelines seem at odds with each other. They are!...but all are legitimate in this pursuit depending on what YOU want.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 PM
SF

286 posts, read 324,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
How is your approach to health and fitness? What I mean by this is how do treat your health and fitness journey. Before I explain myself in more detail I want to say that this post is not intended to critizize, judge or ridicule anyone who participates, we are all different individuals from all walks of life and backgrounds so we do things different but by listening to others and sharing different points of view we learn and become better. Ok here I go, I approach my health and fitness journey as a business. With a business you must work hard to succeed, you only get out of it what you put into it. For me a business is to be taken serious and not play around with it. I don't like to approach health and fitness as an outlet or hobby because in my opinion a hobby is something that I would do for fun and do it whenever I get a chance, a hobby to me is relaxing and therapeutic. An outlet to me is an activity for releasing stress or vent out frustrations. I don't wan't my health and fitness to be any of that. However fitness is something I must enjoy and want to do, much like a business, and as with any business there will be good times and bad times, success and faliure, joy and frustration. I have always had this approach but it is like this now more than ever before. This is what works for me. What is you approach? I am ready to hear and learn fromm all of you
Well I love to excercise and to be fit.It is not my hobby it is a part of my life, its my routine that I have to do and I follow my regime/schedule strictly.I am motivated and driven towards being fit for my lifetime.

I approach it very seriously and not a single day I can imagine losing my fitness as I age.Hence no matter what, I will strive to maintain my fitness always .

Old 02-06-2014, 01:06 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
How is your approach to health and fitness? What I mean by this is how do treat your health and fitness journey. However fitness is something I must enjoy and want to do, much like a business, and as with any business there will be good times and bad times, success and faliure, joy and frustration. I have always had this approach but it is like this now more than ever before. This is what works for me. What is you approach? I am ready to hear and learn fromm all of you
Very interesting concept.
I suppose as a form of rehab. I see it as a way to enhance my overall well-being. I have finally arrived at the point where I've overcome a lot of limitations and I'm really excited about my progress and the potentials of what I can do. I've had a huge mental shift. The things that used to pull me off course are no longer important, because my current approach makes me feel so good. Very little compares. It's definitely become something I want to do, rather than have to do. I think I've reached the point of this being a part of the normal lifestyle.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
My approach is actually somewhat opposite to you Orlando. I think it is important to build exersize and proper eating into everyday/every-year life.

I've known too many people who get temporarily inspired physically, and then drop it all. Training to complete one marathon is a common example, after it's accomplished they stop running and get out of shape again.

I also think busy people need to grab exersize where and when they can, sometimes quickly. That's why formal exersize like health clubs and social exersize groups don't interest me much because they demand more time and eventually, you have to turn away from them or risk missing out on other things.

Meanwhile fun things like sports keep me coming back for more. Hikes and bike rides as well. I also run alot with my dog because it benefits two souls. But ask me to workout at a health club 3 times a week for 3 years and I'd: a) get bored, b) often think it is drudgery, c) eventually stop going.

Granted I'm generally merely in decent to good shape rather than excellent shape.
Good point, I like this, believe or not I feel your approach is much like mine but it is worded differently, I totally agree that fitness that healthy eating and exercise should be incorporated into everyday day life, health and fitness to me should be a long term goal and getting into super great shape for a particular event just to abandon everything that was accomplished and get out of shape again makes no sense to me. I also agree that for some people it is something they should capitalize whenever they can. I can't say I blame you for not liking the fitness center picture, I go to one but I am very selective about the time I go. I am not a gym rat myself and as far as running with a dog, I couldn't agree more, it is a win win deal I heve never ran with a dog but I am all for it as long as the dog and owner are physically compatible, I know it sounds funny but I have seen people jogging with a lap dog and they are practically dragging the poor little pet and you can tell the dog is exhausted and barely keeping up with the person and to me that is cruel to the dog but as long as there is compatibility it sounds great. Also I don't believe in missing out on other important moments in life just to exercise. Perhaps I should have added something to my original post, as with a business I believe the person should be in charge and not the business and that way he or she can determine when to exercise and how much. The person should run the business not the other way around, same with health and fitness. I enjoyed your post. It was very informative and eye openning.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I do this for my health and because the activity instills pleasure on many abstract levels-happiness, sense of accomplishment, pride,also some more primitive feelings are aroused from weightlifting.(I feel like both sex and fighting after a heavy weight session. That is typical? I do not know) There is a serious component because weights can result in injury from poor techniques. Positive hormones(dopamine?) are released from physically activity that make one happy. My lungs feel like they are 20something again after a difficult cardio session. The senstation are as much an expression of joy at being alive and healthy as anything I can imagine.

I never workout after age 21 thrugh late 30s. Never thought I needed to. Always felt and appeared physically fit. Things change inevitably.

After 10 years of constant use exercise has become part of life like sleeping, eating and working. Now, that I am tending to an injury I feel disconsolate that I have to limit myself while healing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness