Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 AM

686 posts, read 1,230,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I don't have much weight to lose,
maybe 20 lb. max.
But my major issue is my hips.....
I'd love to lose the love handles, lol
I want to see serious results-
it's my only problem area.
So....is a personal trainer going to be worth the money?
Any input is appreciated
If its just the love handles you are looking to lose, then I say first before hiring a personal trainer, is to dedicate yourself to a healthy/healthier nutrition plan. Love handles disappear from 1. Proper diet; and 2. High intensity workouts.

Commit to eating super clean for at least a month, then see if a personal trainer is needed. Remember, a trainer is not going to be watching you chug fatty foods in your face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,849 times
It's a good question, one I've asked myself many times. It depends on how much money you have to spend and what your goals are of course. Athletes, models, hollywood people, etc.. almost all use personal trainers (at least part of the time) and they have outstanding results to show for it, so it must work. But that's a the extreme end. For everyone else that may be a bit much unless you just have loads of cash to spend and want to be in the <1% fitness category.

Personally, I have forever cancelled my gym fees for a simple home fitness setup and a once-a-week group class with a personal trainer. Classes like that are a great hybrid alternative to personal training. It cost a fraction of 1:1 sessions (< $15 per) so it's easy to do ongoing without breaking the bank, especially if you don't need to pay gym fees on top of it. The workouts are almost identical to what I would want out of a personal session and once or twice a week is plenty to keep me motivated and get pro tips for whatever I'm doing on my own. The only thing I'm missing is that 100% attention from him on whatever my needs and gold are, but I feel like I can handle that part myself well enough. But if the Rockies call me up and want me to place SS for them in 2015 at age 45, I might reconsider my stance.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
If its just the love handles you are looking to lose, then I say first before hiring a personal trainer, is to dedicate yourself to a healthy/healthier nutrition plan. Love handles disappear from 1. Proper diet; and 2. High intensity workouts.

Commit to eating super clean for at least a month, then see if a personal trainer is needed. Remember, a trainer is not going to be watching you chug fatty foods in your face.
I hear this phrase, "eating super clean," and I have to wonder what exactly that is. I assume it means only eating nutritious foods but I wonder if the people using this phrase see it as something more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
It's a good question, one I've asked myself many times. It depends on how much money you have to spend and what your goals are of course. Athletes, models, hollywood people, etc.. almost all use personal trainers (at least part of the time) and they have outstanding results to show for it, so it must work. But that's a the extreme end. For everyone else that may be a bit much unless you just have loads of cash to spend and want to be in the <1% fitness category.

Personally, I have forever cancelled my gym fees for a simple home fitness setup and a once-a-week group class with a personal trainer. Classes like that are a great hybrid alternative to personal training. It cost a fraction of 1:1 sessions (< $15 per) so it's easy to do ongoing without breaking the bank, especially if you don't need to pay gym fees on top of it. The workouts are almost identical to what I would want out of a personal session and once or twice a week is plenty to keep me motivated and get pro tips for whatever I'm doing on my own. The only thing I'm missing is that 100% attention from him on whatever my needs and gold are, but I feel like I can handle that part myself well enough. But if the Rockies call me up and want me to place SS for them in 2015 at age 45, I might reconsider my stance.
Most of the people I see using a personal trainer fall into a different category. They are people who need someone to motivate them. They are also people who have never exercised much and need someone to tell them what to do.

I think I said this before but I have never used a personal trainer but there might be some benefit if someone exposed me to some different training plans. I think most people tend to get in a rut with what they do. For example, I would like to incorporate Olympic lifts in my workouts. I currently do power cleans but I'm not sure my form is that good. I trainer who could teach me these lifts and a few other things that I don't do, would be beneficial to me and worth the money.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Most of the people I see using a personal trainer fall into a different category. They are people who need someone to motivate them. They are also people who have never exercised much and need someone to tell them what to do.
Yes, that's why I referred to that group as <1%. IMO, the only people who would really get their $$$ out of a personal trainer long term are people who want to develop to that elite level. The rest of the people, including beginners needing motivation and instructions would be much better off in some kind of small group class (excepting maybe a few 1:1 sessions initially).

Old 03-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I hear this phrase, "eating super clean," and I have to wonder what exactly that is. I assume it means only eating nutritious foods but I wonder if the people using this phrase see it as something more.
For me, its the complete elimination of foods that are not conducive to fueling my "vehicle" (body) for my goal(s).

Its complete elimination of the following from my diet:

Starbucks Mochas (love them but I don't drink them anymore)
Breads (includes pizza)
Any and all junk foods (chips, snacks, etc.)
Elimination of all sugars (fruit juice, breads, cookies, etc.)
Alcohol (occasional 3-4 oz of red wine is okay, but NO beer)
Snacking on anything after 8:00 PM (green smoothies are okay but only post workout)

I usually eat some combo of boiled eggs, spinach, brown rice, chicken breast, steak, broccoli, kidney beans, tuna, for dinner/lunch.

Snack is usually some kind of CarbMaster yogurt with chia seeds, raw almonds, cottage cheese, almond butter, half banana, granola, etc.

But for the most part, "eating clean" means NOT eating foods that are not good for you.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:33 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I use mine for the spotting, the pushing, and the accountability.
Me, too.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:35 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
Alright...I'm definitely
not paying for a trainer, lol
Forget about that--
But....I wanna know who uses the elliptical??
I am in love with it & need to make sure
I'm not wasting.my time on it
It says it's working my hips, glutes,
hamstrings & quads-
I'm feelin' it.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
But....I wanna know who uses the elliptical??
I am in love with it & need to make sure
I'm not wasting.my time on it
It says it's working my hips, glutes,
hamstrings & quads-
I'm feelin' it.
If you use it, enjoy it, and feel good about it afterwards…

Then it's not a waste of time.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:26 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
If you use it, enjoy it, and feel good about it afterwards…

Then it's not a waste of time.
Very well said, thanks

And it must be working....
my boss complimented me today-
Asked how I'm losing weight,
it's noticeable from behind

Old 03-10-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Very well said, thanks

And it must be working....
my boss complimented me today-
Asked how I'm losing weight,
it's noticeable from behind
Must be one badass elliptical if you say its already working after just one day of using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness