Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
zero professional or personal experience proving that "processed" foods makes people less healthy. there is no real honest evidence of this. studies on the internet are a dime a dozen and most of them aren't worth the paper they are printed on (or bytes they are using).
I tend to agree. 'Processed' has pretty much become the opposite of 'Organic' these days. Meaning organic good, processed bad. Yet few, if any, of the people defining their perceptions with such terms know what's under the hood in either case.

For example, 'Organic' is not just a buzzword, it's also an official certification process which food producers must jump through hoops to meet and often does not have a significant bearing on the actual quality of their final product (as pretty as the label might look on the packaging). If you doubt the validity of this assertion, go to Hawaii, visit a Kona coffee farm which is certified organic and then visit which one is not and tell me whose coffee beans you'd rather use... The one with healthy trees with full, rich-green leaves and bright red cherry? Or the one with sick-looking, bug-ridden trees with haggardly branches and leaves and brownish cherry? I'm sure some other sorts of farms would exhibit the same sort of differences, but I happen to have family in the coffee biz, so that's the example I'm most familiar with.

Conversely, go to a large meat-processing plant and observe at their sanitary and other standards... Then go to your neighborhood meat market and watch what's going on in the back room there for a while. And it's not just limited to meat. I'm not a big fan of processed food, but I'm not against it either and I can guarantee you that factory production standards are much more closely scrutinized in most cases, compared to some home grown food producer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:40 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
and you aren't aware that people are living longer healthier lives today than they ever have.

but hey, what are real measurable results when you have buzz words and a current fad behind your "truth."

oh and you have zero professional or personal experience proving that "processed" foods makes people less healthy. there is no real honest evidence of this. studies on the internet are a dime a dozen and most of them aren't worth the paper they are printed on (or bytes they are using).
I read an article a month or so ago talking about how organic was really not any better for you. I'll have to dig that up.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
I read an article a month or so ago talking about how organic was really not any better for you. I'll have to dig that up.
its just a way to increase profit margin by taking advantage of gullible people who are hoping to improve their health. not much different than all the scam vitamin supplement companies out there promising magical benefits of their crappy vitamins. just taking advantage of the ignorant.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 PM

256 posts, read 342,728 times
Quote:
and you aren't aware that people are living longer healthier lives today than they ever have.
Well, lets be honest here... people aren't living longer because they eat more processed food, they are living longer because of all the medical advances that have happened in the past 100 years.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:58 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
I was raised by the milkman, and to this day I love an ice cold glass of milk.

I prefer low fat versions so I have one when I want one and being food rather than drink, it is filling therefore helpful for weight loss.

As well as comfort food. Hot or cold.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transdimensionalhottie View Post
Well, lets be honest here... people aren't living longer because they eat more processed food, they are living longer because of all the medical advances that have happened in the past 100 years.
I agree with that but you cant make a statement about how we are all more sick than we used to be and then blame "processed" foods and pretend you are being in any way accurate. the fact is that we are currently healthier and live longer than any period in history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I think we all know since the introduction of "processed foods" into the diet, the health of the nation has gone down the toilet.
think of how ridiculous the above statement is and how many people that have bought into a fad believe it. they believe it so much, she thinks its a fact that "we all know." yet it is so incredibly easy to demonstrate how false it is. she is so convinced that its a fact, she doesn't even dare to think someone would disagree with it. yet its so obviously wrong. its amazing and I am the crazy one for suggesting otherwise.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:39 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
i dont think it's simply the introduction of processed foods that has the health of the nation going down the toilet. It's the amount that is consumed by alot of people.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:34 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
I agree with that but you cant make a statement about how we are all more sick than we used to be and then blame "processed" foods and pretend you are being in any way accurate. the fact is that we are currently healthier and live longer than any period in history.

think of how ridiculous the above statement is and how many people that have bought into a fad believe it. they believe it so much, she thinks its a fact that "we all know." yet it is so incredibly easy to demonstrate how false it is. she is so convinced that its a fact, she doesn't even dare to think someone would disagree with it. yet its so obviously wrong. its amazing and I am the crazy one for suggesting otherwise.
And fatter.
So, if low fat was the answer -- why are we fatter than ever?
What is in processed foods?
When they remove the fat -- what do they replace it with, exactly?

Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
ok, so You aren't aware, and obviously there are many others who think there is nothing wrong with processed foods. I would suggest that you do more reading.
(I'm speaking from personal & professional experience)

Yours is an opinion that you are trying to pass on as facts.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
It usually tastes better provided it is not fake industrial organic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness