Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:43 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I agree that weight has more to do with diet than with exercise, but it still does not negate the findings of the study--that on average, obese people get very little exercise.
yeah, no doubt. It's been shown that fidgeters lose a lot of weight by thousands of small movements which really add up.

So fat people at a minimum really need to get off the couch more and do lots of things around the house. Don't just lie or sit there all day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 03:45 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I don't buy the OP's statistic. Just moving around to do basic things like housecleaning or mowing the lawn will get your heart rate up. Walking around the mall or grocery store is exercise. If you mean something like JOGGING then yes, an obese person risks joint damage and injury if they jog. But ALL people, unless they are wheelchair bound (and even then they can use their arms to wheel themselves around) get some type of activity on a daily basis.

I am obese and while I don't go out jogging or work out at the gym, I manage to stay active. I just took 4 kids to Vancouver this weekend and walked all over, miles and miles. I did get more aches and pains than the average person, but I kept up with my kids just fine.
The study doesn't say that obese people don't engage in any activity. It says they don't engage in vigorous activity and there is a difference. Housecleaning and mowing the lawn are not the same thing as jogging, or using an eliptical machine or lifting heavy weights. A person who is active under your definition is better off than a person who is bedridden, but they are not enjoying the same results as a person actively engaging in vigorous exercise.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:51 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
l hate these sensational headlines.

The only thing this article is saying is that obese people do not like the gym so much.

Its not saying they are couch potatoes.
Indeed,many of us work for a living.
i am an obese person who works 2 full time jobs. Call that lazy if you want.
Most actually get enough exercise at work.
i really resent this article.
I don't think anyone is saying that obese people are lazy. It's just reporting a finding that obese people, on average, do not engage in much vigorous activity. It could be for any number of reasons, lack of time, lack of opportunity, discomfort because of being overweight.

If you work two full time jobs, I have no trouble believing that you don't have time, energy or inclination to engage in vigorous workouts. But that doesn't make the findings of the study untrue.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:16 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Well, now I don't feel so badly. I cut down from walking 3-5 miles daily (due to foot surgery) + daily swimming/yoga/ballet/pilates to working out 5-hrs/wk only at home... I still feel lazy & I'd still like to lose 10-lbs. Diet is the determining factor... I guess I need to stop eating gigantic bags of potato chips twice/wk, yeah? With IPAs...

Old 02-24-2014, 04:33 PM

166 posts, read 278,244 times
I'm fat and I walk about a good half an hour every day, and in the Spring/Summer/Fall I cycle everywhere. In fact, if I actually started a diet and did my daily exercising I would lose 10 pounds a week (I've tried it before). I'm just waaaayyyyyy too lazy to put in all that effort.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:00 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
The study doesn't say that obese people don't engage in any activity. It says they don't engage in vigorous activity and there is a difference. Housecleaning and mowing the lawn are not the same thing as jogging, or using an eliptical machine or lifting heavy weights. A person who is active under your definition is better off than a person who is bedridden, but they are not enjoying the same results as a person actively engaging in vigorous exercise.
The "vigorous activity" obfuscates the issue, and as the article mentions, the study is imprecise on what that means.

When one is talking about "vigorous activity," one should be talking about cardiovascular fitness, not weight change. That's when the heart rate achieved and maintained through an exercise period is significant.

If you're talking about weight changes, the only exercise factor to speak of is calories expended per some particular period.

But as has been repeated through this thread, exercise is the minor factor in the weight loss equation because it takes such a great deal of time and effort to burn calories. A pound of fat contains around 3,000 calories.

There may be disputes that "a pound of fat" in a particular individual could range anywhere from 2,500 to 3,500 calories, but the point is that a pound of fat contains a lot more calories than a normally active person in American society is going to burn in a day. For comparison, the US Army estimates that an infantry soldier in Afghanistan walking patrol in 100 degree heat carrying 80 pounds of gear all day will burn about 3,000 calories.

Most of us in normal civilian life don't come close unless we work really hard at it. I put in about 45 minutes on an elliptical to burn about 500 calories.

So diet is going to make the big difference. It's a whole lot easier for me to avoid eating 500 calories than it is trying to work it off. My workouts are vigorous for the sake of my heart and blood pressure, not for the sake of my bathroom scales.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,148 times
The key phrase in the article is "VIGOROUS" exercise. Not just exercise. There is a difference. Lot of fat people do things like work in their garden, walk their dogs, walk around the mall and mistakenly think they are getting exercise. THAT along with a sh*tty diet is why they are fat/obese. How many of you have fat friends on facebook? Notice how their feed always shows that they like fattening horrible food? They post pictures of sh*tty foods. They pin sh*tty fattening dessert recipies to Pinentrist (sp). They make friggin' excuses after excuses of why they cant lose weight/exercise and blame it on depression or genes, or any and everything except taking responsibility for their lazy selves.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 PM

541 posts, read 861,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
When I put on weight, the 1st person I blame is myself for feeding myself one too many desserts and sugary snacks.
I do the same thing. I can't exercise enough to burn off the calories in junk food and sugary deserts!

Quote:
Exercise may not be all that effective for weight loss, but it can be very helpful for lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
I agree. Exercise is also helpful for Diabetics to control insulin levels. Although, people with those problems will find that weight loss will help their issues as well. With the exception of Cholesterol levels as that is primarily hereditary but some believe exercise can help.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Stop making excuses for yourself. No medicine make someone have a large weight gain unless you kept downing the sodas and pizzas yourself. There are people spending $$ to put on weight and if you found that magic weight gain medicine I'm sure people will be posting about it.

Weight gain is a simple math problem. Even if you have conditions that supports putting on weight it the extra calories come from somewhere. If you had known you had this condition then why not eat healthy like eating foods with lots of fiber and low calories to mitigate weight gain.

When I put on weight, the 1st person I blame is myself for feeding myself one too many desserts and sugary snacks.
While I agree that most people (not just heavy ones) find excuses for everything we do...you are completely wrong about the side effects of certain medications.
Prednisone will cause weight gain in almost ALL people if they are on it for any length of time.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
I agree. Exercise is also helpful for Diabetics to control insulin levels. Although, people with those problems will find that weight loss will help their issues as well. With the exception of Cholesterol levels as that is primarily hereditary but some believe exercise can help.
My mother was diabetic. She had an automobile accident that left her braindead and in a coma for 8 years.

But...being on a perfectly controlled liquid diet through a feeding tube, her diabetes disappeared... despite the fact that she was getting absolutely zero exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness