Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times

Advertisements

I totally get weightlifting as a sport/lifestyle and would expect a lot of guys to be drawn to it for multiple reasons, some very good and some not so good... but you could say that about any sport. So let's put the serious weightlifters/bodybuilders aside for now (no offense). What about everyone else?

Most people I know, over the age of 35 at least, want to exercise for fitness, health and to feel better (a direct result of the 1st 2), and don't care about building mass or being able to lift x number of pounds on a barbell. That includes most men. So why aren't these guys at any of the exercise classes I see? It's pretty obvious in the case of things like zumba, jazzercise, belly dancing, etc... But there are plenty of cross-fit, kickboxing and other non-dance based classes which are capable of kicking the butt of even the fittest people I know. They're probably just doing what they know (weights in a gym) or outdoors. I suppose I should have set this up as a poll, with the different workout prefs listed and then some way to specify male or female for each vote. I can't think of a way to set up a poll on CDF, any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I am 49 and weightlifting makes me feel wonderful. Better than cardio except perhaps a combat cardio course where the end result is similar.

Like I can still run down the hull and fick all of the young hottie cows gathered. You know what I mean?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
I notice it mainly in the dance-based classes like Zumba, Step (in days past) or Hi-low. Never been to a Balletone class, bet it's even worse there. Spinning, about even. Yoga, could go either way, been to a lot of mostly male classes.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:39 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I notice it mainly in the dance-based classes like Zumba, Step (in days past) or Hi-low. Never been to a Balletone class, bet it's even worse there. Spinning, about even. Yoga, could go either way, been to a lot of mostly male classes.
Yeah, its understandable in stuff like zumba and other dance-based classes. (I did take zumba classes before (with my wife) and they were fine but I couldn't get much intensity out of it because I had to try too hard just to learn the stupid moves the whole time). I was talking more about x-fit, boot-camp and even kickboxing style classes. Still 10:1 women in there as far as I've seen, whatsupwiththat?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Men and women like different things, no surprise there.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I lost interest in standard gym workouts about 20 years ago. I run, cycle or otherwise work outside whenever I can and when I can't I take group classes like kickboxing, spinning or x-fit. The thing is, in every class I take I'm usually the only guy in there? All women, usually older. So where is everyone else at? Still stuck in the gym, doing that thing where you do three sets of ten, sit there and look around between sets and then move on to the next machine?

Just curious.
That thing is called "strength training"; people can do it for vanity, to get stronger, general fitness.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Yeah, its understandable in stuff like zumba and other dance-based classes. (I did take zumba classes before (with my wife) and they were fine but I couldn't get much intensity out of it because I had to try too hard just to learn the stupid moves the whole time). I was talking more about x-fit, boot-camp and even kickboxing style classes. Still 10:1 women in there as far as I've seen, whatsupwiththat?
Most men don't like training is structured classes , they like doing their own thing. At least that is my perception. There are some crossfit type classes at my gym and I notice there are some men in them but I think there are more women. One thing I have noticed is that most of the women.are young and very athletic. The guys are more average looking and not the most athletic or muscular ones in the gym, those are the ones in the weight room.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
All the other guys are not being g@y?

Yeah because not being part of a sausage fest and being genius enough to in a situation where you are surrounded by hot chicks is really fruity.

If I had to do it all over again I'd have been a male cheerleader.

You people who are afraid everyone is going to think you're not straight need to just come out of the closet, it's okay you don't have to deny it any more.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:42 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Just trolling i guess. I actually want to take a yoga class
There you go!!

Try Bikram Yoga my friend. You're in a hot and humid room with mostly hot chicks wearing form fitting clothing and sports bra's. It's really pretty awesome. 10 women to 1 guy. Plus it gets you fit in the process.

I still lift weight and do cardio.

Why limit self to one type of training?

But try the Bikram Yoga trust me on this.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I like being stuck at the gym doing that thing where you do 3 sets of 10 reps, then sit and look around for about a minute or two and then move on to the next exercise. It is a time tested method that has built the greatest athletes in history. It is what I was doing 28 years ago and it is what I will be doing 28 years from now if I'm still around. As far as group classes, it is no secret that women dominate those. Most men don't see the appeal in them the same.way most women don't see the appeal in lifting as heavy and hard as they can until they spill their guts. It is a gender thing. Of course there are exceptions.
I did this from age 17 til about 25 or 26, and then I just got severely burnt out, mainly from boredom. I always switched things up every 2-3 months, but it just got to a point where even doing that didnt matter. Around 25 or 26 is when I got introduced to CrossFit and Ive never looked back. I incorporate Wendlers 5/3/1 4 days a week with 4-5 metcons a week after the lifting. My fitness level is far greater, I'm stronger, a little bigger, I'm more flexible, quicker, etc. Just no comparison IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness