Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:53 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times

Advertisements

I have heard about the body slowing down the metabolism when people cut back their caloric intake lots. That wasn't what I did...I still ate 3 regular meals (if you consider those "dried" meals food). And I did not actually measure any areas of my body--I just went by how my clothes fit and by the scales once I got home. And of course how I looked...a whole lot firmer!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 12:12 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
It takes awhile for your body to adjust. Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so it's not just your weight, but how you fit into your clothes, etc. You have to give it time; a couple of weeks at least.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:15 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
A common mistake I see a lot of cyclists make is when they go on organized rides they eat and eat and eat at every rest stop. It's a RIDE not a BUFFET! I can ride 60 miles on about 50oz of water/gatorade mix. Nothing else. Then they look at me and ask why i'm not eating like them. They say I'm going to bonk. I just laugh and keep riding. I'm 6'2" and weigh 145 lbs. Afterwards I eat a sensable meal and I'm good.

My point is this. If you're trying to shave weight you need to burn more than you take in. The pounds will come with time. You can't workout for a few days and expect measurable results. You have to measure your success over months not days (and especially not hours like my wife tries to).

If you're working out after laying around for months then your body is going to go through some changes as smarty said. You'll be trading fat for muscle. Muscle weighs more. Don't get automatically get discouraged when you step on the scale and see a bigger number.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:29 PM

Don't misunderstand me---I surely did not mind weighing a bit more because I looked so much better after this major hike. It made me not only look 100% better I felt 100% better. My thinking about the original PO was that they need to give it time. As many of you others, better qualified, have stated.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRed View Post
I thought running will make you lose weight, but instead i've gained 2 pounds in the last 4 days
i have no clue why youre gaining but you should be in ft lauderdale by now!

Old 12-05-2007, 08:14 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,464 times
I think your body weight can vary so much even in the span of 24 hours. It can depend on things like how many fluids you've just drank and also, I notice certain times of month (for women LOL) cause water retention. I've varied 3-4 pounds in one day myself. I tend not to weigh myself a lot because I'll become obsessed with the scale--not good for me since I once had an eating disorder.

I highly recommend buying and using a training diary. They sell them at the major bookstores. You can write down your weight, workout, heart rate information, your food and fluid intake, sleep patterns, etc. It really helps to trouble shoot if you need to and it's cool to see the miles add up

Enjoy

Old 12-06-2007, 04:09 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
that I actually gained weight and ate less for sure! My personal thought was it took that fat and turned it to muscle and muscle weighs more??? I !!

Fat cannot turn into muscle. To build muscle, you need protein and amino acids. Fat can assist in muscle building by providing calories so your body doesn't burn up protein/muscle as fuel though.

Really 2 pounds is probably a small percentage of your body weight (not saying you're fat!) and it's easy for minor fluctuations like that. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 AM

Well see...I learn something new everyday! Thanks for the information. So how did I get so much muscle from my 75 mile hike?? Just curious.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Well see...I learn something new everyday! Thanks for the information. So how did I get so much muscle from my 75 mile hike?? Just curious.

That's beyond me. If you were eating less and expending more calories, you shouldn't have been building much muscle, especially to the point of gaining weight.

Whatever works, I guess.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:34 AM

453 posts, read 2,101,315 times
i'm betting that it's water weight. all of the exercise is causing you to sweat a lot, which can cause an electrolyte imbalance and cause you to hold water.

but are you sure that you actually gained weight? how many times did you weigh during the four day period, and did you weigh at the same times of the day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness