Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:54 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why not swimming? I get walking, I don't consider that exercise, but swimming?
I don't get why swimming does fit either--that was going to be my answer because it's a combination of aerobics and strength training with no impact (and less chance of injury).

Swimming freestyle laps burns more calories per hour than aerobic exercise, jazzercise, and cycling. It burns as many calories as an 10 minute mile (or if you swim slowly more like a 12 minute mile). Calories Burned During Exercise, Activities, Sports and Workouts. And like I said, it's resistance and it exercises your entire body (legs, arms, shoulders, chest, etc).

I disagree about walking though. While it's not as vigorous as some exercises, it's a great introductory exercise for most people and greatly improves the health of people who start doing it--even doctors say to get out and walk... it's like the "gateway exercise"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 11:59 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
He's right. Walking is hardly an exercise. And it fails miserably to even be considered and/or mentioned as an answer to the question of "What is the single best exercise?". Anyone who says "walking" either don't understand the question, or they are completely ignorant to what constitutes exercise, or both. Walking is NOT the "single best exercise". If you start adding caveats and/or qualifiers like "....for a 90 year old?" or "...for someone on the My 500 lb life tv show" or something similar.

Acceptable (albeit controversial) answers are:

Burpees
Deadlifts
Vinyasa Asanas
Squats
Running (I'll give you parkour running as I am a practicioner)

But "walking" is NOT an acceptable answer. Neither is swimming.
Why do I get the feeling you're 20 and look in the mirror a lot?

@ Orlando: Is it too late to set this up as a poll so we can just see the overall results instead of having to read ill-informed arguments to whatever we choose?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I don't get why swimming does fit either--that was going to be my answer because it's a combination of aerobics and strength training with no impact (and less chance of injury).

Swimming freestyle laps burns more calories per hour than aerobic exercise, jazzercise, and cycling. It burns as many calories as an 10 minute mile (or if you swim slowly more like a 12 minute mile). Calories Burned During Exercise, Activities, Sports and Workouts. And like I said, it's resistance and it exercises your entire body (legs, arms, shoulders, chest, etc).

I disagree about walking though. While it's not as vigorous as some exercises, it's a great introductory exercise for most people and greatly improves the health of people who start doing it--even doctors say to get out and walk... it's like the "gateway exercise"
Yeah but for me it's not the best because you can't do it anywhere, you have to learn how, and you need special equipment.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:05 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Yeah but for me it's not the best because you can't do it anywhere, you have to learn how, and you need special equipment.
I can see your point. I take it for granted I live near the ocean and can swim there or in a pool. Most gyms around me seem to have pools too. But they cost money.

But just about anything you do (aside from walking) needs special equipment of some sort. And the more I think about it, the more it's the "best" if it gets people on the road to more exercise. I think a lot of people when they get in shape start with walking first. I would think running would come in a good second in not needing anything special... but you do need proper shoes and running clothes and you do need to train up to it (ironically, usually by walking and then combining running and walking and then plain running). That is, assuming you can run.. some people, especially older people with age-related joint deterioration, can't run. So again... walking as a gateway exercise.

I still like swimming the best though

Old 03-07-2014, 12:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
Yoga or a martial art.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:42 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
He's right. Walking is hardly an exercise. And it fails miserably to even be considered and/or mentioned as an answer to the question of "What is the single best exercise?". Anyone who says "walking" either don't understand the question, or they are completely ignorant to what constitutes exercise, or both. Walking is NOT the "single best exercise". If you start adding caveats and/or qualifiers like "....for a 90 year old?" or "...for someone on the My 500 lb life tv show" or something similar.

Acceptable (albeit controversial) answers are:

Burpees
Deadlifts
Vinyasa Asanas
Squats
Running (I'll give you parkour running as I am a practicioner)

But "walking" is NOT an acceptable answer. Neither is swimming.
Thank you. I think the problem here is that some people are taking my words out of context, I never said that walking is not exercise I said I did not consider walking an exercise unless it was done in a certain way. Weather it the single best exercise or not that is strictly a matter of opinion and I clearly said that it is a good thing that there are differdnt points of view because that way we can learn from each other but some people get too belly achy and take it too seriously . We all have different views and that is a good thing. Anyway back to the subject lets keep going and thanks for the help.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:47 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
My dear old dad used to say the very best exercise for keeping weight off was pushing yourself away from the table.

Actually, I prefer the eliptical or running.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:05 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Yoga or a martial art.

Martial art I can agree with some, but not yoga. That doesn't register as exercise to me either and yes, I've tried it (several types).

Old 03-07-2014, 01:07 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
My dear old dad used to say the very best exercise for keeping weight off was pushing yourself away from the table.

Actually, I prefer the eliptical or running.
Your dad was definitely onto something.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:19 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why not swimming? I get walking, I don't consider that exercise, but swimming?
How is walking not exercise? I lost 50 pounds in 9 months without dieting. Because I started walking. An hour a day, six days a week. At a fast pace. I have still kept the weight off after five years. Injury-free. At no cost.

I run now. But walking did the most good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness