Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I referenced BMI because that's a big part of being clinically obese is by definition (please look it up). I never said that I agree with that definition or that just because someone technically meets it means that they are necessarily unhealthy. That said, I don't advise the OP (or anyone else that wants to ask) to gain a whole lot of body mass just because they think it will look good now. It's hard to maintain and puts a real strain on the body over time (think 'giant muscle man' here, not 'Bruce Lee'). … but if someone has considered the drawbacks and decided that their sport or ideal physique requires it, then that's their choice and I can respect that.
Giant muscle men get that way un-naturally, almost all of the time. Rare few have the genetics and discipline and pain tolerance to get to that point naturally.

If you don't agree with the definition and feel that just because someone meets it they aren't automatically unhealthy, then why the f*** did you even bring it up? Clinically doesn't mean jack squat if it's way off base. BMI is a very very VERY general thing, it doesn't work well for athletes. Hell, technically I'm clinically overweight, yet I'm sitting at 12% body fat, which is in the low end of what's considered healthy with 18% or more still considered okay (which I personally don't agree with for men).

Decent muscle mass doesn't have a negative affect on the body or strain it, please don't even try to spread that kind of misinformation. Being weak and devoid of muscle mass is what's un-natural, not having healthy muscle mass levels and corresponding strength levels (generally as a base level, be able to do 10-15 pull ups, squat your bodyweight for over 5 reps, bench your body weights at least a few times).

Taking steroids is a different story and not what I'm talking about. If your doing heavy compound lifts with free weights, your bones, tendons, ligaments, lungs, heart, etc are all developing along with your muscles. Bone density and muscle mass in general are priceless in old age, and can only be significantly gained with relative ease when your young. So all 16-35 year olds reading this, get in the gym and eat clean, your 65-85 year old self will thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:57 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
A slim person can definitely build muscle. Go to bodybuilding.com and click on Bodyspace. Then search for people who are similar to your body weight, height and age. You'll see a big difference in body shapes - the ones with 5% body fat are ripped and the ones over 20% body fat are less defined and more pudgy.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:17 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
So in other words you made yourself clinically obese (BMI) with muscle? OP, don't do that. Stay slim, just get yourself up into the 'ideal' range if you can, otherwise don't worry about it. Weight will come in time and extra body mass (even in the form of muscle) puts strain on your body over time.
I am quickly reminded why I find myself spending less and less time from this site. If you are seriously going to throw out "BMI" as credibility in an attempt to classify a person weight as being healthy or not, you have no reason to be in this thread or giving advice about anything fitness related.

Of course, you later back pedal and state you were using it "loosely" but to even call me out directly, spouting such misinformation is laughable at best..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this thread was about slim people building muscle, period.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:40 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I am quickly reminded why I find myself spending less and less time from this site. If you are seriously going to throw out "BMI" as credibility in an attempt to classify a person weight as being healthy or not, you have no reason to be in this thread or giving advice about anything fitness related.

Of course, you later back pedal and state you were using it "loosely" but to even call me out directly, spouting such misinformation is laughable at best..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this thread was about slim people building muscle, period.
But he said "clinically" obese, should have said "ignorantly defined" as obese.

Don in Austin

Old 03-16-2014, 03:50 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times
It's absolutely possible. But gaining mass is a science that requires a proper diet and workout regiment. Most people falsely assume that if you go in the gym and lift a lot you will gain mass. I was actually in the exact same boat as you until I learned the proper regiment for gaining mass. I noticed you haven’t posted in this thread for a while. If your still interested feel free to PM me and I will give you exact details that are guaranteed to help you gain mass if you follow them to the letter.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
If you are seriously going to throw out "BMI" as credibility in an attempt to classify a person weight as being healthy or not, you have no reason to be in this thread or giving advice about anything fitness related.
BMI is a less than accurate metric, that's no secret. But it's still a metric that the medical field gives considerable weight to, right or wrong. That's why I used the word CLINICAL at my very first post (read it) and not as a back-pedal later on. When I see people getting incensed over those three letters, it makes me think that their primary goal is to be big and they really don't want to hear otherwise in any way, shape or form. Am I wrong about that?

Old 03-16-2014, 11:42 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times

Arnold went from this ^, to this:

He later admitted to using steroids.

Furious Pete went from this:

135 in hospital

To this:

He claims he never has used steroids, which is believable.

I'm 6' 1" and 160 lbs, but my body fat is only 4%. I workout 1 day a week and I'm a pretty well built man. I'm looking to realistically ad and grow maybe 10 lbs, but my diet is super clean and it something I will not change. I do not do protein shakes either, as I prefer to eat meat, eggs, dairy instead to make up for the protein in my diet. I do not eat processed foods or grains. You just have to have a goal, and a way to get there. It's easier said than done, you have to not only work hard, but work properly. If you have poor technique or do not allow your body the time it needs to recover and build new muscle you will never see gains.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
A slim person can definitely build muscle. Go to bodybuilding.com and click on Bodyspace. Then search for people who are similar to your body weight, height and age. You'll see a big difference in body shapes - the ones with 5% body fat are ripped and the ones over 20% body fat are less defined and more pudgy.
How do you find a person (in my case female) who is your weight and height on that site?

Old 03-16-2014, 01:25 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

I'm 6' 1" and 160 lbs, but my body fat is only 4%. I workout 1 day a week and I'm a pretty well built man. I'm looking to realistically ad and grow maybe 10 lbs, but my diet is super clean and it something I will not change. I do not do protein shakes either, as I prefer to eat meat, eggs, dairy instead to make up for the protein in my diet. I do not eat processed foods or grains. You just have to have a goal, and a way to get there. It's easier said than done, you have to not only work hard, but work properly. If you have poor technique or do not allow your body the time it needs to recover and build new muscle you will never see gains.
What kind of diet are you on that helped you get to 4%? Just the name would be fine, I don't want you to waste your time typing the details. I'm willing to do the research myself.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
What kind of diet are you on that helped you get to 4%? Just the name would be fine, I don't want you to waste your time typing the details. I'm willing to do the research myself.
Paleodiet, all natural...nothing from a can or precooked.

No grains (gluten), milk or sugary items. Veg, fruit, meat, eggs, some dairy (hard cheeses like vermont cheddar), water, green tea to drink, I also enjoy honey on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness