Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 08:50 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
And this isn't just her belief, she is correct.

Of course, this doesn't hold true for EVERYONE. The exceptions being those with serious and specific medical deficiencies.

If you eat a deficit, you will lose weight as long as you are eating a deficit. You don't have to be a doctor, nutritionist, etc. to know this holds fast and true.

Basic science, you consume less calories than you burn, you will lose weight.

What frustrates her, myself, and many others, is the people who have not done such, and are quick to argue and disagree. I see it ALL THE TIME. People ask me for fitness and diet help ALL the time. At work, friends, family, etc. The worst is coworkers, because they ask diet advice, then continue eating crap, and then can't lose weight and blame it on genetics. Basically, you, like my coworkers, are discrediting our hard work saying that "most" people can't obtain these results, yet they never actually try it.. It's pretty insulting when I'm at lunch eating chicken and rice, and some obese coworker comes in with their whopper from Burger King every day, telling me how "lucky" I am to be so "fit and in shape" and how they "can't possibly do it because their birth control made them fat." No, your burger king, lack of exercise, and crap diet made you fat.

"I'm fat because it runs in my family." No... "You're fat because no one runs in your family."

Do peoples genetics vary? Absolutely! Without a doubt! That is why EVERYONES diets must be specifically tailored to them. I can eat 500 grams of carbs a day and not gain a pound. While my buddy who is the same height, weight, body fat, could eat the same amount and get incredibly fat very quickly. It's all about body type, and trial and error. There are some easy rules to follow, but they have to be adjusted for the individual.

The reason your sisters body is the way it is (you say she has no azz, thin non-defined arms) in my best guess would have to be because she does the paleo diet. Your body needs GOOD complex carbs to continue building muscles, just like it needs fat and protein. The paleo is missing some good essential carbs, and also because of their carb sources, they do not get enough carbs.. There's almost no way humanly possibly I could get 500 grams of carbs a day on the paleo diet, unable to eat oatmeal, rice, potatoes, etc. Paleo is excellent for losing weight, but certainly not ideal for building muscle. Hence the reason you won't see any competitive male bodybuilders doing paleo, it's not sufficient for sustaining enough muscle.

My girlfriend trains with me and eats like me, she's 5' and 115lbs and has great arms, chest, shoulders, legs, and a big muscular perfect azz lol. In fact, I recently cut her off of leg extensions because her quads were getting too big, and yesterday we discussed the same regarding chest as well. On Chest day she will do two sets as opposed to 8, then spend the others picking up her shoulders. It's all about balance. Once her calves get bigger she will be back to doing leg extensions again.
I don't like my sisters body lmao. I'm not as thin as her at all. She's a size 2 and I'm a size 6, sometimes wearing a size 8 because I have a big butt which makes it difficult to always find pants that fit well. I eat similar to my sister. In that I don't eat much carbs... I eat mostly meat and veggies, and dairy like nonfat Greek yogurt or milk. I eat a daily piece of fruit though and she doesn't. I'm starting to slowly add more carbs in my diet, like sweet potatoes, and brown rice, etc. but I admit I don't eat enough carbs either but my butt is still significantly bigger than hers and I have s more defined whr in that you can clearly see my curves and waist in comparison to my bottom half if that makes sense.

Like your gf when I notice my legs are getting too big of my arms or chest I either change the amount that I'm lifting or reduce it or I stop lifting on that body part altogether.

Don't get it twisted though. My sister loves her body. She talks about it all the time. She doesn't want an azz or thicker muscular legs or anything of that nature. And that's ok. We all have different definitions of what looks good. I get stopped constantly by men and women alike about my body, namely advice about exercises they should do or compliments. And my body fat and weight is higher than my sisters. I also get approached and pursued more by men. But that doesn't change the fact that she likes her body and probably while she wouldn't say it out loud she thinks she looks better than I do.

I probably weigh 15-17more pounds than her and we are the same height. I also have a larger body frame than her small frame and always have. On top of that I like to tease her about the fact that I had a baby and she has no kids yet lol(it's a joke we have). Your gf sounds fine to me. Though she would be considered overweight to some people on citydata lol. My youngest sister is 4ft11 and 118 pounds and doesn't work out at all or eat healthy. She is 23% body fat and doesn't even do anything. If she minimally worked out and changed her eating I wouldn't be surprised if she got to a really good body fat percentage. She is not considered overweight to doctors or anyone really. She has slim lean legs but a thick very noticeable pouch... And doesn't look as healthy as she could be.

That is why weight to me alone is not a good enough judgement alone in whether someone is healthy or in shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
i have to judge weight on an individual basis but

5'4" is short, i step over them

that 140lbs could be a nice body on a 5'7"-5'8" woman though

Old 03-31-2014, 09:14 AM

686 posts, read 1,231,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post

that 140lbs could be a nice body on a 5'7"-5'8" woman though
I agree. I'd even go up to 5' 9" - 5' 10" at 140lbs.

140 on a 5'4" body can be a bit on the chunky side.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:50 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
I agree. I'd even go up to 5' 9" - 5' 10" at 140lbs.

140 on a 5'4" body can be a bit on the chunky side.
I agree. I'm 5'8"and weigh 140 and that includes muscle. When I wasn't carrying much muscle I was 125 pounds. I like having feminine looking toned arms, legs and a butt. If I drop below 140 I start losing muscle.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:48 AM

98 posts, read 95,425 times
5'4 and 140 is a good weight for a woman. But that is not the average size of an average american woman. BMI doesn't represent a healthy weight for some people. But I do think it works for most people their are some people that are over weight and just wanna blame BMI as being inaccurate. Some of them are right it is inaccurate for them but other people need to face the music and accept that they are fat. Why wouldn't the US obesity rate sky rocket when most people don't exercise and have a horrible diet. You have to go out of your way to eat right and exercise to get to a healthy weight (unless your just one of the lucky people who have trouble gaining weight).

Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
I'm 5'3" and 135. I'm a size 6 pants and a M top. I think I have a pretty nice body. But I guess I am a butterball? Apparently a lot of guys are into butterballs because I get approached on the street all the time.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:45 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I'm 5'3" and 135. I'm a size 6 pants and a M top. I think I have a pretty nice body. But I guess I am a butterball? Apparently a lot of guys are into butterballs because I get approached on the street all the time.
The thing is, most of these guys posting here about women being too fat at x amount of lbs - they would see you and have no clue what you actually weigh! People are always surprised about my weight. Personally, I have always thought women look far better with a little meat (and muscle) on their bones. And they age better, too. Skinny women are more likely to wrinkle prematurely. I am 64 and people guess me 20 years younger. Even my doctors say what great shape I am in and that my age would be very difficult to guess.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 PM

137 posts, read 199,693 times
I think it all depends on if the woman is healthy. One person can be 5'4 at 160 pounds but be in great shape. Another woman can have the exact same height and weight and be unhealthy. It all depends. I'm 5'7 and 120 pounds. There are days that I feel totally out of shape and there are days that I know I'm eating right, getting sufficient rest and exercise.

I think overall, Americans are not as healthy as we can be. But the size thing gets misconstrued. That's a media thing. They want everyone to look like the girls on magazine covers. You know, the ones starving to death so they can look cute. Marilyn Monroe would be considered overweight by today's standards but she looked perfectly fine from the pics and films I've seen.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:56 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj7 View Post
They want everyone to look like the girls on magazine covers. You know, the ones starving to death so they can look cute.
Why does everyone say this? Do people not seriously know any severe ectomorph people, like those on magazine covers?

I know a girl I grew up with that has been in those magazines, she's about 5'10 and 110lbs. She eats like a HORSE and always has. She just doesn't gain a pound. I know this because I used to bring her tons of cookies and pastries in trade for candy on a regular basis...

Why does everyone make the stereotype that they starve themselves? Because they aren't fat? Heaven forbid some people can eat what they want without becoming fat..

Go on a bodybuilding, there are TONS of guys flooding those forums that can't gain weight no matter how much they eat. I used to be one of those guys. Granted, they just aren't eating enough, no matter how hard they try.

You know what my diet consists of right now? about 4000-5000 calories a day, 400 grams protein, 500-600 grams of carbs, and I'm BARELY gaining weight right now. I'm actually stuck around 212lbs. I could eat about half as much as I do each day and feel comfortable, instead I'm constantly force feeding myself because of my body type.

Do some models have eating disorders? Absolutely, however I'd bet money they are still the small minority, the rest eat healthy and exercise a lot.

Gets old hearing fat people (not you, you said your thin) complain that you have to starve yourself to be skinny. They just can't fathom that some people go years of eating healthy and exercising daily...

Old 04-05-2014, 09:42 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
You know what my diet consists of right now? about 4000-5000 calories a day, 400 grams protein, 500-600 grams of carbs, and I'm BARELY gaining weight right now. I'm actually stuck around 212lbs. I could eat about half as much as I do each day and feel comfortable, instead I'm constantly force feeding myself because of my body type.
So then why do you do it? If your body type is what it is, what's the point of forcing disordered eating? It has to be for vanity, because it doesn't sound healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness