Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 10:24 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times

Advertisements

166 lbs is average? No wonder the Western world is having a deluge of problems coming from diabetes and obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
140 pounds at 5'4" is all good if most of the excess is in her boobs & butt/hips instead of her belly, arms, chin, etc.

It's all about how the weight is distributed & genetics. One woman might look hot at that height & weight and another might look like a tub of lard.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:28 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I'm 5'4" and I however around the 140's. Honestly 10lbs is in my chest so technically it's 130s. I can't loose too much weight because I don't have your average white girl ass and that's the first thing to go when I do start loosing weight. So I'm back into toning up again.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:04 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

That is pretty friggin' pathetic, sad and makes me unhappy . 166 pounds? That is just waaaay too big. Did they make a mistake when they said WAIST is 37.5 inches when they meant to say HIPS? 37 inch waist is super unattractive and obese.
That waist circumference says it all. Unbelievable. Alarming, really.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I just read in a newspaper article about eating disorders that the average woman is 5'4" and 140 pounds. Hearing so much about the obesity crisis, I expected it to be about 5'4" and at least 170 pounds!

Help me understand this. I realize this is several pounds heavier than women used to be. It's debatable about whether 140 pounds really has health implications for a 5'4" woman. What I can't understand is where is the crisis? The average means that there are sufficient women way under this to counter balance those way over. So---is there really a crisis?

At a recent visit to Costco, I saw so many obese people that I was buying into the obesity crisis. But after reading the article and returning from the gym which has a predominance of extremely thin (and some muscular) people, I'm confused as to what is really the case.
I'm 5'4'' and about 130. It really surprises me that I'm 'average'. If I'm average, then when I buy jeans, why do I have to get Junior sizes or the men't type which come in inches, and get to pick from the short pile?

I find pants are always too long. When I wore skirts they had to be hemmed up. Where are all these other 5'4'' women hiding and do they just never buy clothes?

Old 08-16-2014, 03:30 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
I think I've already commented in this thread, it's been around awhile. Weighing 140 is too much for only 5' 4" height. Hard to imagine being hefty is average.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:02 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
This is the average for AMERICAN women. I've done a few share of traveling. Women in Europe (varies on the country but still lower than the US) and definitely Asia are lighter.

The same is true for men. I'm not buff but I do work out. I tried buying clothes in Europe and pretty much couldn't. Nothing fit me right. Too tight on my shoulders and chest and going one size up looked like PJ's. I didn't even bother in Asia.

Believe it or not but the US doesn't have enough fat shaming. In Asia, they laugh at you right in your face for being fat. Being fat in most of the world is just not acceptable.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:47 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
This is the average for AMERICAN women. I've done a few share of traveling. Women in Europe (varies on the country but still lower than the US) and definitely Asia are lighter.

The same is true for men. I'm not buff but I do work out. I tried buying clothes in Europe and pretty much couldn't. Nothing fit me right. Too tight on my shoulders and chest and going one size up looked like PJ's. I didn't even bother in Asia.

Believe it or not but the US doesn't have enough fat shaming. In Asia, they laugh at you right in your face for being fat. Being fat in most of the world is just not acceptable.
Exactly.

But here in the US we coddle overweight people (despite their belief that we somehow shame them) and we're actually pretty accepting of them. Now whether or not the majority finds them attractive is a different story in itself.

In the US they come up with every excuse in the world for being overweight. It's always some imaginary disease making them overweight, never the fact that they're overweight making them ill.

But it's their prerogative to be overweight. They just can't complain about companies not making sizes for them when the largest markets (Europe+Asia) don't suffer from the same problems

Old 08-17-2014, 12:59 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
What I find interesting is that often women who are slender and within acceptable weight categories for their height/build, etc. - are sometimes told by friends/family/strangers that they are "too thin" and are subjected to questions like "so when are you going to start eating more?" or remarks like "You have lost too much - you need to eat more - here have a cookie." Seriously.

I lost over 80 lbs. and now weigh 130 lbs - have kept it off for over 1 1/2 years. I'm just a hair under 5'9". (I am healthy, normal weight and my body is toned due to exercise and weight lifting) and it is amazing the things that others feel comfortable saying to me about my weight/size/menu choices, etc. I'd probably be considered fat in France or Japan - oh well.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:13 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Average height for women in the US is actually below 5'4", according to this:

Female Average Height By Country | Map & Chart | Women only

Hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness