Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 09:15 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Not at all.

It is always my businesses if my health insurance is concerned. This is an overweight, unhealthy country that I am paying a premium for.

People need to lose some freaking weight.
I agree. Being fat is the 'new normal' and its disturbing considering all the health issues that go along with it. Who is paying for all those large wheelchairs and oversized beds and gurneys? Who is paying for the diabetes epidemic? Who is paying for ALL the complications that go along with being obese?
I know losing weight is a struggle but living while being obese is a bigger one. Its like collectively as a country everyone has just given up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 11:40 AM

103 posts, read 124,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
This thread is so wrong because it's misleading.

The average American Woman is 5'4 and 165lbs. Sorry most females do not workout, so a lot of that is excess fat.

The average American Man is 5'9 and 195lbs. Again, most males do not workout, so there is a lot of excess fat.

People need to stop replying about women being 140lbs. That was decades ago. https://screen.yahoo.com/buzzfeed/ab...173022168.html
I thought I read the most recent statistics as the average American woman is 5'4" and 167lbs and average American man is not yet 5'9" but is 198lbs. But still... that's just splitting a few pounds. However, a few pounds in this case, is really a lot!

Someone earlier was mentioning about Marilyn Monroe's heaviest weight at 140lbs. To put that context into light, that was when she was pregnant and it showed on the film "The Misfits" which was 1961. However, her last film that was scrapped shortly before she died, she was her 115lbs self as usual and that was in 1962. If you think that's fat, I'd hate to know what you think is skinny.

moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 12-06-2014 at 02:10 AM..

Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
If women themselves thought the larger and larger they get is okay, then why do so many women wear clothing made by omar the tent maker? Take a look around, it is common to see women wearing what look like sheets to cover their behinds and thighs. Why is that? If they are proud of the extra poundage then by golly put it all out there for everyone to see.

No way, gotta hide it all behind some wrap that is so popular even Suzanne Sommers has a special deal for you. Hide that belly. Hide those thighs.

Hey, how about getting off the couch and doing something? How about using a spoon instead of a shovel, a fork instead of a forklift when you eat?

Yeah, men have the same problem but they aren't wearing sheets to cover everything up either, they just pull over a 10x too small golf shirt and look like a overfilled basketball.

People in the US aren't getting larger because it is natural, they are getting learger because of excuses that make it ok.

Who is saying it is okay? Why the larger ones of course. It started out as an emotional thing. Oh no, can't say anything about people being fat because it hurts their self esteem.

Newsflash, eat less and exercise more and you won't have to worry about someone attacking your self esteem because you stuff your face like a buket loader fills sinkholes.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:10 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
I have always wondered WHY Women are their own worst critics. Even many of the beautiful Women that I have known over the years were insecure about their looks. One thing I HAVE learned about almost ALL Women whether they are beautiful or just attractive or plain is that they care more about the opinion of OTHER Women that they do about the Men/Man in their life. I hate to stereotype a whole industry but WHY is it that Women trust and buy clothes by Fashion designers that are usually GAY and do not find Women desirable?

Old 12-04-2014, 12:59 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Reading through thread, it becomes obvious a lot of people are lying to themselves. Fat is fat. If you're 5'4" and 140 lbs, you're fat.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I have always wondered WHY Women are their own worst critics. Even many of the beautiful Women that I have known over the years were insecure about their looks. One thing I HAVE learned about almost ALL Women whether they are beautiful or just attractive or plain is that they care more about the opinion of OTHER Women that they do about the Men/Man in their life. I hate to stereotype a whole industry but WHY is it that Women trust and buy clothes by Fashion designers that are usually GAY and do not find Women desirable?

Actually, gay guys HATE fat. They especially don't like fat females. The fashion industry have pretty much always been run by gay guys, but gay guys have always followed idealized beauty which means promoting slender bodies. It use to be where slimness/slenderness was the norm for everyday women and the models didn't look any different than a regular woman. Back then, gay fashion designers like Dior created lavish, ultra-feminine dresses that made the woman look a little fuller (the princess look) or YSL created boxy suits. Now, the majority of women are fat but gay guys still hate fat and still champion slenderness, they end up designing clothes that can pretty only be worn by those who are exceedingly slim to accentuate how well slenderness is valued. However, slim fitting clothes on slim bodies does not make for feminine appearances.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:46 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokittykatt View Post
Actually, gay guys HATE fat. They especially don't like fat females. The fashion industry have pretty much always been run by gay guys, but gay guys have always followed idealized beauty which means promoting slender bodies. It use to be where slimness/slenderness was the norm for everyday women and the models didn't look any different than a regular woman. Back then, gay fashion designers like Dior created lavish, ultra-feminine dresses that made the woman look a little fuller (the princess look) or YSL created boxy suits. Now, the majority of women are fat but gay guys still hate fat and still champion slenderness, they end up designing clothes that can pretty only be worn by those who are exceedingly slim to accentuate how well slenderness is valued. However, slim fitting clothes on slim bodies does not make for feminine appearances.
I guess this does make sense. I know a ton of gay guys, and almost all their girlfriends are hot. The best wingmen ever, are gay guys.

That being said, they probably have hot girl-friends for several reasons. 1. Many gay men seem to take care of their appearance. Often slim, well dressed, fashionable, etc. 2. Girls (that I know) seem to love hanging out with gay guys. So, when they have a choice of hanging out with any girls they want, why not the other fit and attractive ones that take care of themselves?

Old 12-04-2014, 01:55 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Reading through thread, it becomes obvious a lot of people are lying to themselves. Fat is fat. If you're 5'4" and 140 lbs, you're fat.
Medically, you aren't. 140 pounds falls within the normal weight range for someone 5'4". It's on the high end of normal, but you have to reach 146 pounds to be medically overweight at that height.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:56 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Not according to the National Institute of Health, Weight Watchers, WebMD, and every other site I checked. 5'4" and 140 pounds equates to a BMI of 24, which is within the healthy ranges listed on those websites.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I guess this does make sense. I know a ton of gay guys, and almost all their girlfriends are hot. The best wingmen ever, are gay guys.

That being said, they probably have hot girl-friends for several reasons. 1. Many gay men seem to take care of their appearance. Often slim, well dressed, fashionable, etc. 2. Girls (that I know) seem to love hanging out with gay guys. So, when they have a choice of hanging out with any girls they want, why not the other fit and attractive ones that take care of themselves?
You don't have to guess if it makes sense or not. That's just how it really is. Gay guys may be gay, but they're still males. Males tend to be more traditional in thinking and desires. Although gay guys don't want to bang chicks, that does not render them unable to distinguish what is beautiful and what is not. I'm a fashion design student and all the gay students are males (not surprising) and guess what? THEY all create ultra feminine clothing that only perfectly shaped females can pull off.

Most straight guys are not observant enough to understand woman at all. Straight guys idealize slenderness because it's a social status thing and they can show off to other straight guys, "Look, I got a very slim, beautiful chick around my arm. I'm better than you." Straight guys will compliment a female because he wants to bang her either on a subconscious or conscious level so there's an ulterior motive with his compliments. Whereas gay guys absolutely do understand woman, but they will still idealize slenderness because that is what is beautiful. When a gay guy compliments a female, he has no ulterior motive behind his words. He just simply truly appreciates beauty, so many chicks (like myself) value how a gay guy reacts to her than straight guys because straight guys are often insincere with their words just to bang someone (and sometimes, bang anyone). This is why gay guys always tend to friend fabulous looking females because gays appreciate beauty and aren't trying to bang (use) chicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness