Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 03:39 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times

Advertisements

Did you ever notice how a lot of people who live in large cities are smaller?
Most Europeans are also smaller.

Why? Because they walk or ride bikes and don't eat (often) at fast food places.

Getting even a bit of exercise and eating the right foods is the key to keeping your body at a good weight or getting it down to a good weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 05:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
I can't believe this thread is still alive. 59 pages of replies devoted to reducing women to just a set of numbers. No wonder so many of us have body image issues

Old 11-10-2015, 06:28 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
It's funny, I was recently watching some "Soul Train" clips from the late 80's. The women (probably in their early 20's) look absolutely anorexic compared to the women of that age today. I myself weighed 25 lbs. less than I do now, and I still look fairly thin, so I too probably looked anorexic back then.
Women from back then and from around the world still look normal to me. I refuse to change my reference point for healthy to accommodate super size America. I'm a 5'10" man with a fair amount of muscle, and I try to keep my weight around 155 to 160, so yeah, I'd say 5'4", 140-pound woman can stand to lose a few.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I can't believe this thread is still alive. 59 pages of replies devoted to reducing women to just a set of numbers. No wonder so many of us have body image issues
My Give-A-**** is broken at this point. On one thread women are criticized for eating too much and not exercising enough, and on the next thread we're criticized for eating too healthy and working out... and having our exercise choices psychoanalyzed.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:03 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
My Give-A-**** is broken at this point. On one thread women are criticized for eating too much and not exercising enough, and on the next thread we're criticized for eating too healthy and working out... and having our exercise choices psychoanalyzed.
Yeah right I can't think of a single thread that critizes women for eating healthy and exercising. The threads that supposedly criticize us for this actually criticize us for our APPEARANCE while exercising, say, wearing yoga pants and other similarly shallow threads.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yeah right I can't think of a single thread that critizes women for eating healthy and exercising. The threads that supposedly criticize us for this actually criticize us for our APPEARANCE while exercising, say, wearing yoga pants and other similarly shallow threads.
There is an active thread right now devoted to it, and a few others in recent history as well.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:12 AM

32,099 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Men exercise more than women. Married men spend almost as much time exercising as single women.

Quote:
Time Spent Exercising

Men

8:03 always single

6:10 divorced/separated

4:47 currently married

5:46 widowed

Women

5:25 always single

4:17 divorced/separated

4:00 currently married

3:13 widowed

Men get more exercise than women in every marital status category. People who have always been single - including both men and women - get more exercise than people in any other marital status category. The currently married get the least exercise among the men, and next-to-least among the women.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...exercises-more

Old 11-10-2015, 10:30 AM

48,520 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Americans have never eaten healthy. They've always eaten terribly. Throughout our history we've had a high fat, high salt diet. My dad used to drink milk from the cow every morning and my grandmother made the family huge flapjack breakfasts. They were all skinny.

What's changed is that sugar and corn syrup infuses pretty much all of our food like crack. Sugar is highly addictive and the complex carbohydrates quickly turn to fat. BUT we could still be relatively decent shape if we did not have...

Sedentary lifestyles. That is the overwhelming reason we are fat. We eat just as much as we always did but now laced with sugar, AND we are sitting all day, every day.

Unless you're royalty please leave out the "we" on all that.

90% of my diet is whole foods, cooked at home, and simple carbs and I are barely on speaking terms. I am not sedentary or fat.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-10-2015, 11:17 AM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I don't know how widespread the thyroid issue is, but it's real for those it affects.

The comments about BMI were laughable too. It's a worthless metric. Height/weight. That's it. It doesn't control for bone density, muscle mass or any other physical factors. I know some people swear it's a valid metric. I question the intelligence of such people.
BMI has never made sense to me as a concept. It's worrisome that some authorities (who should know better) latch onto these simplistic concepts and promote them as mainstream gospel truth.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:19 AM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
It's funny, I was recently watching some "Soul Train" clips from the late 80's. The women (probably in their early 20's) look absolutely anorexic compared to the women of that age today. I myself weighed 25 lbs. less than I do now, and I still look fairly thin, so I too probably looked anorexic back then.
That look is still the norm in many places around the West Coast and the mountain states. Or a norm.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-10-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness