Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 01:36 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
You can weigh 140 at a height of 5' 6" and still be in good shape, because you're strong and athletic. People who run and lift weights have heavier bones and larger muscles, which weigh more than fat. Such people usually do not appear to be as heavy as they are. It's one of the benefits of exercise and good eating habits.

Those girlfriends of mine, were all hefted by me and I can estimate weight within just a few pounds, being a weight-lifter and farm boy who lifted countless bales of hay and grain sacks and then weighed them to compile a total amount for the harvest.

I can just look at any woman and determine her height, weight and measurements, within a plus/minus 2% margin of error. I had to be able to visually estimate the weight of beef and dairy cattle on the hoof, to make accurate bids for them. But those girlfriends were not always pleased, that I could come so close to their true configurations. Once, one of them wouldn't speak to me for a couple of hours, when I estimated her at 119 lbs. I actually was lying, as I thought she was really about 125 lbs, but that was too close for comfort, for her.
Lol you're so full of ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 05:34 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Reading the response, the unstated answer is "no".
Yup, agreed.

Most secure women I know don't care about their weight, as long as they are in good shape.

When I fall below 135, I start to look sickly. Just how my bone structure and body is set up.

I will agree with this: a lot of our country, in general, is disgustingly overweight, due to the ease of life these days. I struggle with understanding how people just don't care about their health--we only get one body and modern medicine can only do so much.

Meanwhile, I just got back in from a hike and am going to grill some salmon. Or a filet

Old 10-05-2017, 06:22 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks98 View Post
5’4 at 140 lbs is a 25 BMI which is technically overweight. I don’t think BMI is accurate though due to different body types. I know women who are this height and weight and are all muscle. I’m 5’4 and 135 pounds, big boobs, big butt, small waist.
BMIs just don't work for a lot of reasons.

When I'm within my "acceptable BMI range", I look like a skeleton and people think I have an eating disorder.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:31 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

When I'm within my "acceptable BMI range", I look like a skeleton and people think I have an eating disorder.

I don't think that the people who concoct these various body-mass scales, have any awareness that some people are athletic and have larger and heavier bones and muscles. They seem to be intended mainly for sedentary (i.e., normal) types.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 10-05-2017 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-05-2017, 09:30 PM

1,257 posts, read 889,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

When I was at my "correct BMI" I was deep into year 6 with anorexia. I weighed 118 ... I read somewhere that it was just 10 lbs more than Karen Carpenter weighed when she died from complications of anorexia, though reports on that differ.

BMI can kiss my @**

Old 10-06-2017, 12:54 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
My thoughts, also. I've had several girlfriends who were 5' 4" or 5' 5" and they weighed 120 or less. But I'd never be involved with a woman who wasn't in peak athletic condition, so my experience may not fit what the average person has. Another woman with whom I got friendly, was 6' 1" and 170 lbs., but she was a star swimmer and had no excess fat.

Right now, I'm 15 lbs. leaner than I ever was or thought I could be, all my adult life, so my level of expectations about a woman being more trim, has increased. Maybe that's discrimination, but I'm working hard with my training and dieting, to be this way, myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
I am very fit and very small and have never been remotely overweight, but would never stick with someone who had such high expectations of my physical appearance. I have been with the same man for 19 years and our relationship is so much deeper than that. He was once an avid mountain biker and very fit and muscular, but a few years ago was hit with several health issues (not diet related at all and he is still a healthy weight) that have slowed him down. I love him all the more and would never consider leaving him because he can't keep up with me. Also, I don't need motivation from others to be healthy and fit. I love to move and love how healthy food makes me feel, and I am fiercely independent. Not likely you and I will ever hit it off lol.

Well, you seem like a very nice person, but we were discussing body-weight and a bit about fitness. Relationships and things like loyalty and cerebral qualities weren't on the agenda. Having high standards for the fitness of my personal choice in women, is not something that can be legitimately criticized. It's everyone's privilege to be as picky as they want, in that regard.

And just because a woman was trim and fit, wouldn't exempt her from needing to be very good in all other personal ways. And if we ever met and you were as fit as you describe, you'd never know about my high expectations concerning that, because you would have met them. No discussion or revealing of my inner thoughts, would be needed. You'd never know what was beneath my surface on that matter (as it is with almost all men).

Old 10-06-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Well, you seem like a very nice person, but we were discussing body-weight and a bit about fitness. Relationships and things like loyalty and cerebral qualities weren't on the agenda. Having high standards for the fitness of my personal choice in women, is not something that can be legitimately criticized. It's everyone's privilege to be as picky as they want, in that regard.

And just because a woman was trim and fit, wouldn't exempt her from needing to be very good in all other personal ways. And if we ever met and you were as fit as you describe, you'd never know about my high expectations concerning that, because you would have met them. No discussion or revealing of my inner thoughts, would be needed. You'd never know what was beneath my surface on that matter (as it is with almost all men).
Wow. This is the last time I'm going to reply to you but--I actually DO know what all the guys in my life think of women and their expectations. Boyfriend and guy friends (of whom I have a lot and am very close with) alike. I've also found when you dig enough--even in friendly conversation--if you make a person feel comfortable, you can and should talk about all matters--including physical fitness/appearance--below the surface.

While I am all for self confidence and being comfortable in ones skin, you seem to certainly have an ego about yourself.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
When I was at my "correct BMI" I was deep into year 6 with anorexia. I weighed 118 ... I read somewhere that it was just 10 lbs more than Karen Carpenter weighed when she died from complications of anorexia, though reports on that differ.

BMI can kiss my @**
Same here....sorry to hear that. It's always a daily struggle. I know that I take each day as a win and work hard to keep myself healthy and happy, all around.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:19 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
The real problem is the info in the topic thread is misleading. The average woman has gotten 25lb pounds heavier. 165lbs on someone 5'4 is overweight. FYI the average man has gotten worse as well. Average male is 5'9 at 196lbs. Too much. https://www.verywell.com/average-wei...istics-2632139

The thread should have been shut down a long time ago. Who is the moderator for the exercise forum?
Too heavy for an "average" white person with medium to higher levels of body fat. Blacks (generally) have denser bones, so you'd expect them to be slightly heavier than a comparable white person of the same gender. Asians (generally) have less dense bones than whites and so you'd expect them to weigh a little less than a comparable white person of the same gender.

Height/weight is a good place to start but you also have to factor in distribution of that weight. Some people have potbellies and flat butts at '5'9" 200 lbs while others have modest abdominal fat, big butts and lots of muscle in their arms and legs. Waist measurements can tell you a lot about someone. I'm going to look at the 5'9" 200 lb guy with a 33-inch waist a lot more favorably than the 6'0" 190 lb guy with a 34-inch waist.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:53 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
General rule of thumb: 100lbs for the first 5ft and 5lbs for each additional inch. So 5'4" would be ideal at 120, generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness