Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:01 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,323 times

Advertisements

I've been working out regularly at gyms for about 17 years now, and I don't get this whole "judgement" and "intimidation" thing. I've never seen anyone given a hard time by anyone, regardless of their fitness level. What's so hard for many people to accept is......that they are not the center of the universe. Hard to believe, but guess what? No one cares. No one is looking at you. No one is judging you. You just aren't important. OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 08:29 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

I seriously doubt she was told she was "intimidating the others with her toned body."

I suspect she was told "your bare midriff violates the dress code and it's making the other people here in the gym uncomfortable, could you please put on a shirt?"
I wondered about that too. But then, to judge by the advertising there seems to be a certain reverse smugness there. I've never been to a Planet Fitness, so I couldn't say for sure, but after all, this is the outfit that advertises their "non-judgmental" policy with the very judgmental commercial showing the stereotype of a big muscular guy who's a total dummy, apparently unable to speak except to keep repeating in a slow, stupid tone, "I lift things up and put them down."

Quote:
But... she decided to go to the news about it. I would've just asked for a refund and found another gym where wearing a sports bra without a shirt was normal.
That's the answer right there. She just needs to find a gym that suits her, and leave Planet Fitness to those who feel it serves their needs.

Quote:
Better yet, nobody said that toned people couldn't join Planet Fitness. They can. They just have to keep their shirts on.
I do agree that members of any gym should follow any dress code the place might have, as long as prospective members are informed up front. If you have a big problem with a gym's dress code and it's that big a deal to you, find another gym.

Quote:
Me? I don't like gyms of any kind. We have a home gym.
I'm inclined to agree, but if people want to go to a gym, they should find one that suits their needs. I haven't been to a gym in a few years, but if I wanted to become a regular gym rat, I'd find a place that fit my needs well, and couldn't care less what goes on at another gym. Never been to PF, but from what I've heard, it wouldn't work for me. If it's a good fit for someone else, no proverbial skin off my proverbial nose. No reason that every gym has to be all things to all people.

Quote:
I do have a friend I met at work who was significantly overweight who joined there and had a dramatic weight loss, is far more fit, and has her type 2 diabetes under control without meds now. Without places like Planet Fitness, I don't know if she could've done that.
Interesting to read about a success story. Maybe there's some truth to the accusations that they cater to people who really just want to pretend they are working out, but I'm sure there are people like your friend, who do make it work for themselves, and appreciate a low-key atmosphere. If others prefer a more hardcore setting, there are plenty to choose from. Join one of those, and then who cares what happens at PF?

Last edited by ogre; 03-20-2014 at 08:39 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 09:43 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Quote:
Yanno what I think? I think that people secretly don't want heavy people to get fit because if they do, who will they have to rag on?
WRONG! You and others are missing the point.

I'm all for fat people working out, but if you're going to do it then DO IT!

Casually going through the motions then eating pizza and tootsie rolls isn't working out.

That's the problem I have with PF...they aren't helping anyone but themselves ...financially.

I realize you have to start slow and all, but you still need to sweat and get your heart rate up!

At PF the only time anyone's heart rate goes up is when they see someone going for the last piece of pizza!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:13 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Better yet, nobody said that toned people couldn't join Planet Fitness. They can. They just have to keep their shirts on.

Me? I don't like gyms of any kind. We have a home gym.

I do have a friend I met at work who was significantly overweight who joined there and had a dramatic weight loss, is far more fit, and has her type 2 diabetes under control without meds now. Without places like Planet Fitness, I don't know if she could've done that.
I must say, all this ranting about Planet Fitness has me intrigued! $10/month? I had no idea! Are their gyms air-conditioned in the summers? I doubt it, for that price. If they are, I'm going to join!

The only gyms I've been to where it's ok to wear a sports bra or a short/cropped top are women's gyms. Women in mixed gyms who want to show off usually wear those expensive spandex workout outfits.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:20 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
RICHMOND, Calif. — A California woman was asked to cover up while working out at a Bay Area gym, after staff members say she was intimidating people with her toned body.

Tiffany Austin said she was excited to get back in shape after recovering from a recent car accident. After her doctor told her it was time to start walking more, she took a tour of the Planet Fitness Gym in Richmond. On Monday she officially joined the gym and was looking forward to her first workout – but that workout lasted a quick 15 minutes.

Gym tells woman she's intimidating guests with 'toned body' | www.ktvu.com

Sounds like it had more do with her outfit, since they asked her put a shirt on..... Stupidly the person try make it nice by saying to toned ....

Old 03-20-2014, 11:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
WRONG! You and others are missing the point.

I'm all for fat people working out, but if you're going to do it then DO IT!

Casually going through the motions then eating pizza and tootsie rolls isn't working out.

That's the problem I have with PF...they aren't helping anyone but themselves ...financially.

I realize you have to start slow and all, but you still need to sweat and get your heart rate up!

At PF the only time anyone's heart rate goes up is when they see someone going for the last piece of pizza!
I don't know about the pizza and candy thing.

My friend still goes there and I know she wouldn't be working out and eating pizza at the same time.

Ugh. Wouldn't that make a person sick?

Old 03-20-2014, 11:13 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
^^^ How did you get working out WHILE eating pizza? Maybe youse don't read no good?

Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Nobody holds a gun to patron's heads. They don't HAVE to eat the pizza.

How can the house afford to buy pizzas for customers on $10/mo. memberships, anyway? Must be cheap, discounted pizza.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Ridiculous! Lol she doesn't even look that toned, IMO; she just ostentatiously dressed.
My thoughts Exactly

Old 03-21-2014, 12:11 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The only gyms I've been to where it's ok to wear a sports bra or a short/cropped top are women's gyms. Women in mixed gyms who want to show off usually wear those expensive spandex workout outfits.
Every co-ed gym (country club, local or corporate) I've ever belonged to in California, has allowed sports bra/cropped tops. My current gym does not, but then again, it's not the average gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness