Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 05:28 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I'd like to try running again. I tried it in the past and think I started out to strong and then burned out. Any suggestions to get me started? I've heard so many differing opinions about warmups, stretching before versus during versus after, alternating times between walking and running, etc. It's all so confusing and I want to start out right this time so I can stick with it without burning out right away.
What's so hard about running?? Get good shoes and go out and do it. I don't bother stretching and never have, and my warmup is just a short walk. I try to never walk - that demotivates me. I just jog very slowly instead. I like to time myself some days and see how fast I can run, and other days just go as slow as I want for a longer time. I kind of make up rules for what kind of day it is. I don't do races - I hate them and don't think they are fun- but I do look for interesting places to run. I'll drive a bit to get someplace if I have time. Some favorites of the past have been up and down the steps of a state capitol (running steps is a great exercise - I just throw it in whenever I find some good steps), across bridges, through historic towns, along a beach road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 04:38 PM

335 posts, read 1,311,147 times
I started running about a year ago. Lots of excellent advice was posted. Just do not make the newbie mistake of pushing too hard. Learn how to pace yourself. A treadmill is a supplement, not a substitute for hitting the road. Cross training is very beneficial.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM

850 posts, read 3,716,428 times
Thanks everybody for your advice. I'm definitely going to find some scenic routes to run on. I live in Albuquerque and weather is rarely a problem, and we have some pretty good trails up in the hills as well as paved paths to go on. What are you preferences as far as running surfaces? I have heard that paved roads are worse because they are harder on landings. Can that be corrected with proper shoes?

I was thinking of getting some minimalist shoes (not barefoot though). I saw that 4mm between toe and heel is pretty natural while also providing some padding to absorb the shock.

When I say "burned out," I guess I pushed too hard from the start. It was so exhausting (and I was in pretty good shape when I tried it) that I didn't enjoy it at all. I know it's not a leisurely activity, but if I can't at least enjoy it a little bit then I'd rather try something else.

A lot of people say to carry water, but I rarely see people running and carrying water with them. Doesn't it throw off your balance carrying a big water jug with you?

Old 03-31-2014, 11:27 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,958 times
Go to a really good running store that has a machine to look at your foot movement and get shoes that are best for how you move your feet.
Then start out slow .. boringly slow. Yeah it will be boring for a couple of weeks, but the slower you increase speed and distance the less likely you will injure yourself. If you run on a treadmill, you need an incline of .5 to even match an average "flat" street. Try to avoid running the edges of paved roads -- you will notice that most roads slope away from the center of the road and your legs may really notice that unnatural slope. You will need to experiment with what you should eat prior to your run. Make sure you stay hydrated.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
A lot of people say to carry water, but I rarely see people running and carrying water with them. Doesn't it throw off your balance carrying a big water jug with you?
I don't carry water on short runs. I just make sure I'm hydrated before the run. You can buy these belts that hold several very small containers of water -- I think that is better than carring a larger bottle. I also can't run with a camel pack -- too much bouncing around,

Old 03-31-2014, 11:35 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
What are you preferences as far as running surfaces?
Packed dirt/sand… anything but concrete. But as for any real danger to running that way or if it can be corrected with shoes, opinions vary.
Quote:
You don't need a big jug of water, just a reasonably sized bottle which shouldn't throw you off. Some people use camel packs for daily runs but I prefer the simplicity of just carrying a pint-sized bottle in my hand. Of course, if it's hot or you're going very far you'll need more. I do have a camel pack that I carry when bagging peaks or otherwise getting out on the trail for hours.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I do have a camel pack that I carry when bagging peaks or otherwise getting out on the trail for hours.
Serious question here ... I've tried a few different styles of camel packs (those that you carry on your shoulders and those that you carry around your waist/hips) and the bouncing action of them when I run really drives me crazy! I carry camel packs when I'm hiking, but running (even on trails) it just annoys me. Are you able to ignore the bouncing of the camel pack or is there a style that doesn't move much? If I tighten the straps too tight, then that bothers me! I might be overly sensitive cause if my shoe laces aren't JUST RIGHT - meaning if I can feel them at all I have to stop and adjust until they are right.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Serious question here ... I've tried a few different styles of camel packs (those that you carry on your shoulders and those that you carry around your waist/hips) and the bouncing action of them when I run really drives me crazy! I carry camel packs when I'm hiking, but running (even on trails) it just annoys me. Are you able to ignore the bouncing of the camel pack or is there a style that doesn't move much? If I tighten the straps too tight, then that bothers me! I might be overly sensitive cause if my shoe laces aren't JUST RIGHT - meaning if I can feel them at all I have to stop and adjust until they are right.
Good question. I have the kind with a waist strap as well as a cross-strap between the two shoulder straps and that keeps it from flopping around unecessarily. I also pack it with food and emergency gear which helps everything stay put even more. But I only use that if I'm hiking peaks or on a very long distance run/ride in which case my speed is so slow that it's not flopping around. Besides, when I do those things, the trail is so narrow, steep and windy that I usually have other things only my mind besides my camel pack moving around. For day to day trail running I just carry a water bottle in my hand, or nothing if it's a short easy run nearby, for that reason.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:48 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
I'd like to try running again. I tried it in the past and think I started out to strong and then burned out. Any suggestions to get me started? I've heard so many differing opinions about warmups, stretching before versus during versus after, alternating times between walking and running, etc. It's all so confusing and I want to start out right this time so I can stick with it without burning out right away.
People have suggested buying good shoes but that doesn't really mean anything. It doesn't mean buying the most expensive shoe. You need to buy a pair of running shoes based on your foot characteristics. The best way to do that is to go to a real running shoe store, not Dick's, Foot Locker, Finish Line, etc. They should have you run either on a treadmill or outside, and look at whether you pronate or supinate. For an explanation of this see one of these sites.

Running Shoes & Gear | Runner's World

Shoe Dog: Running Shoes Guide, Shoes Finder, Picking Running Shoes at Road Runner Sports

Regarding stretching, it is probably a good idea but some runners never stretch. I think it prevents injuries especially as you get older. Always stretch when you muscles are warmed up.

Regarding carrying water, I have never carried water unless I was training for a marathon and doing long runs. For long those long runs, I have a belt with an insulated holder that holds a 20 oz. Gatorade bottle. For 20 mile runs I would drive along my course and stash 4-5 bottles of Gatorade.

Even on an 85 degree day, you should be able to run for an hour without water. Just take a small drink before you start.

The advice about not overdoing it is correct. The goal is not to get sore. Start off slow and with low mileage. Gradually increase your speed and distance. Don't run hard on consecutive days.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Even on an 85 degree day, you should be able to run for an hour without water. Just take a small drink before you start.
Not in my town… ever run in < 30% humidity in the heat at altitude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness