Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:07 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times

Advertisements

You should try to eat more, smaller meals. Running 14 hours a week , if you are really doing that, is something for experienced runners and you probably could injure yourself if you are doing this without a little bit of planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 06:57 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I only eat once a day in the evening and yeah it's a large meal. Maybe 2000-3000 calories.

I have no structure when eating which is why I am thinking of joining Nutrisystem.

That is part of your problem. You should not be eating much in the evening.

Breakfast like a king
Lunch like a prince
Dinner like a pauper

Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
I would consider Weight Watchers before Nutrisystem. I have tried meal delivery services before and the food was not good, even with the expensive services.

I think you should cut down in running to no more than an hour a day. That much cardio is probably causing you to feel more hunger and as a result causing you to eat too much. Use the extra time to cook healthy foods. Add strength training, as well.

Personally, I like a primal/paleo approach to food. I don't find it hard to stick to and the food I cook now tastes better than when I was following a higher carb and lower fat plan. It does take dedication though and isn't for everyone. If you are interested in it I think Mark's Daily Apple (Mark's Daily Apple) is a good place to start learning more about the lifestyle.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
I normally trail run 2 hours every day but I am not losing any weight. I'm actually gaining weight which is discouraging.

The only thing I seem to be getting from running lately are sore knees and sprained ankles/foot.

So should I just go on Nutrisystem and forget the time consuming/exhausting exercise?
Go to the doctor and get your thyroid checked. Until I was on meds I could not lose weight. I even did an experiment when I was on a trip for work. Just salads and hit the gym every night. Didn't lose a lb. once I was evaluated, the pounds came off. I also worked out a lot because I wanted all the weight off quickly. I was military and you have to maintain a certain weight.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:13 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
I only eat once a day in the evening and yeah it's a large meal. Maybe 2000-3000 calories.

I have no structure when eating which is why I am thinking of joining Nutrisystem.
I don't have a structure either. I drink coffee for breakfast, might have cereal for lunch and my main meal is late at night. But it isn't 3000 calories. Usually just white rice and some pieces of meat. Now that we are getting out of the cold weather, might eat more veggies.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Something is wrong with this picture. No one who is running 2 hours a day can possibly be overweight. Even being able to run that long would preclude it. Eating only one meal a day is incredibly unhealthy and strange, but even with that eating habit you still can't run 2 hours a day and be overweight. How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

If you run 2 hours a day and don't have any serious medical issues then eating as much as you want of any relatively healthy foods - and even some unhealthy ones - should leave you with a good body weight. If running 2 hours a day isn't working, then nothing is going to work. Unless there is something you aren't telling us or the 2 hours was a typo.

Generally, diet programs and counting calories don't work or aren't sustainable. Changing what you eat - eliminating salt, fat and sugar from your diet, balancing out carbs and protein, and eating smaller meals throughout the day instead of 2 or 3 really big ones - is the best, although not fastest, way to achieve a healthy weight.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,906 times
90% of the battle is diet.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
There's an old saying: "You can't outrun your fork."

However, running for a solid 2 hours a day and gaining weight? I find that extremely hard to believe.

That's a half marathon on a regular basis, over 2000 calories per run.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 AM

72 posts, read 113,521 times
Definitely focus on your diet. Not meaning to go on a diet, but change the way you eat to a more clean diet. If you are gaining weight it could be from increased muscle since you are trail running. I would add some different kind of exercise into your routine as well so your muscles and body can get some muscle confusion (your body gets used to the same exercises everyday and will plateau). Make sure your are eating more protein, veggies, and healthy fats, than fatty foods, empty carbs, non nutritional foods, and etc. It takes more than just exercise to lose weight and it takes more than just a diet to see results! Keep at it!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:

It's not good for your body to absorb all its calories and nutrition from one large meal. Especially at night when most people are sedentary. Break up those meals into 3 or 6 smaller ones. But Nurtisystem is not the answer. Learn to shop and cook, even if you are busy you can fit it in if you schedule for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness