Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 12:40 PM

212 posts, read 821,795 times

Advertisements

I am having meniscus surgery(arthroscopic) to take a piece of torn meniscus away and remove pieces of floating torn cartage (about 4-5 PIECES) on my right knee. I already had 2 meniscus surgery on my left knee. I waited 3 yrs and now having the surgery because of bad pain. MY doctor was the team doctor for the NY Jets, islanders for 20 years and was doctor for the world cup and chief of surgery.

1 I am 62 and work in a office as accountant-- I am planning to go back to work after11 days. Is this too soon, I take metro north into work . After surgery should I walk around or stay in bed.

2 My doctor wants to give me general anesthea and I had it 3 years ago also for left knee. Anybody get general anestha for this surgery, I am only questioning because I am a little older. I DO NOTnot have any heart condition.

3) I can rent a special machine that applies cold to knee and compresses and uncompresses at regular intervals , but I don't know what it is called. Does anybody know. It is used in physical thearphy to reduce swelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 12:53 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
I am having meniscus surgery(arthroscopic) to take a piece of torn meniscus away and remove pieces of floating torn cartage (about 4-5 PIECES) on my right knee. I already had 2 meniscus surgery on my left knee. I waited 3 yrs and now having the surgery because of bad pain. MY doctor was the team doctor for the NY Jets, islanders for 20 years and was doctor for the world cup and chief of surgery.

1 I am 62 and work in a office as accountant-- I am planning to go back to work after11 days. Is this too soon, I take metro north into work . After surgery should I walk around or stay in bed.

2 My doctor wants to give me general anesthea and I had it 3 years ago also for left knee. Anybody get general anestha for this surgery, I am only questioning because I am a little older. I DO NOTnot have any heart condition.

3) I can rent a special machine that applies cold to knee and compresses and uncompresses at regular intervals , but I don't know what it is called. Does anybody know. It is used in physical thearphy to reduce swelling.
With all due respect, I see no question in that list that should be answered by anyone besides your doctor or a member of his staff. If you don't want to put your trust in him alone, then maybe a 2nd opinion would help. I got general anesthesia when I had similar surgical procedures, but I was 20.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM

Thanks I will ask my doctor.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:38 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
I would agree on asking your doctor, and you'll have a scheduled meeting with the anaesthesiologist pre-op.

In terms of planning for recuperation, 11 calendar days is pretty optimistic. Two weeks is generally advised even at a younger age, and three is better.

Some mobility will be encouraged as part of PT/recup., but sitting still at a desk all day without elevating the knee is not ideal rehab.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:

Since you have had two of these surguries before, you are the best judge of how you will respond to a similar surgery. I had the same surgery with general anesthesia when I was 57. I did not have any floating cartilage.

I was taking a college class at the time and went to class the next day. I had crutches but could not get used to them. Two days after surgery I remember I went to the gym and lifted weights (upper body only). I decided to mow the lawn that day with a push mower and the knee finally started hurting and I had to quit. I think in a week or so my knee was back to feeling the way it did before the surgery.

I was able to resume playing basketball and running races for about 18 months with only minor occasional pain.

I'm not convinced the surgery did any good. I've had a couple of series of Euflexxa shots since then and my knee is now causing me a good bit of pain especially when walking down steps. I don't think I will have arthroscopic surgery again.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:55 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
You have a world class surgeon yet you come to a message board asking advice regarding your surgery and specifics that no one as qualified as you surgeon should know?

I'm having surgery in a month. I did a lot of research beforehand and asked my surgeon questions on our first meeting.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:41 PM

My doctor said that I could go back to work after 2 days after removing the looses pieces and torn cartlage in knee. This is really to soon to me, but that is why I was asking what do you think about going back to work after 11 days (do surgery 5/1 and go back to work 5/12). I have a easy desk job where I come in full time, but actually only do a few hours of accounting work a day, and the rest of the day I can keep my leg raised and look at the internet or take a short walk or even do a few leg exercises and put ice in it. The biggest thing is I have to take train to work(metro north).

Last edited by captnemo; 04-11-2014 at 02:00 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 02:09 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
My doctor said that I could go back to work after 2 days after removing the looses pieces and torn cartlage in knee. This is really to soon to me, but that is why I was asking what do you think about going back to work after 11 days (do surgery 5/1 and go back to work 5/12). I have a easy desk job where I come in full time, but actually only do a few hours of accounting work a day, and the rest of the day I can keep my leg raised and look at the internet or take a short walk or even do a few leg exercises and put ice in it. The biggest thing is I have to take train to work(metro north). On this job 2 yrs and will retire in 2 yrs.
Was talking to my wife about this and she informed me I did not have general anesthesia. She said I had conscious sedation and a local block. She is a nurse and said general anesthesia is more involved. My understanding is this is not the surgeon's call but the anesthesiologist's. My surgery seemed pretty simple and quick, and I seemed to recover quickly.

As I mentioned before, I had no problem going to my class the next day. My wife drove, however, and dropped me off close to the building.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Was talking to my wife about this and she informed me I did not have general anesthesia. She said I had conscious sedation and a local block. She is a nurse and said general anesthesia is more involved. My understanding is this is not the surgeon's call but the anesthesiologist's. My surgery seemed pretty simple and quick, and I seemed to recover quickly.

As I mentioned before, I had no problem going to my class the next day. My wife drove, however, and dropped me off close to the building.

thank for the info. Ii will ask the anesthesiologist at time of surgery. 3 years ago i had it on left knee and i had general anesthia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness