Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:41 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times

Advertisements

Couldnt*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 12:30 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
According to this caculator at Bodybuilding.com:

Bodybuilding.com Presents: Diet Calculation Results

a male, 210lbs,
10 - 14% BF,
Activity Level: Very Heavy
Adult Building Muscle Mass

Needs 4572 calories.

Here is their breakdown:

Protein Grams: 189 Grams Per Day.
Protein Calories: 756 Protein Calories Per Day.

Fat Grams: 76 Grams Per Day.
Fat Calories: 686 Protein Calories Per Day.

Carbohydrate Grams: 783 Grams Per Day.
Carbohydrate Calories: 3130 Carb Calories Per Day.
Using that calculator, I should consume 1900 calories per day. I Assumed moderate levels of exercise.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:41 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfitRon View Post
Utter BS, eahh, right from the nutrition source, for 1 medium apple, skin on:

Nutrition Facts
Calories 93 (389 kJ)
Calories from fat 3
Total Fat 0.3g
Sat. Fat < 0.1g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 2mg
Total Carbs. 24.7g
Dietary Fiber 4.3g
Sugars 18.6g
Protein 0.5g
Calcium 10.7mg
Potassium 191.5mg

So - What do we see, an apple is very high carb load, almost all of that sugar with very other items of value.

Ankhharu - you get your facts right

Ron
The idea of telling someone not to eat fruit is beyond absurd. Please stay away from telling others what to eat. What next? "Don't eat your vegetables!"? Again, many of us eat hundreds and hundreds of carbs, and get plenty of sugar, yet we are lean and in great shape. Exercise. Calories in vs Calories out. To tell someone to avoid fruit because it has sugar in it shows ignorance in nutrition, plain and simple. To even attempt to delve further in it would be pointless. Please get an education. lol, wow.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:44 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
The idea of telling someone not to eat fruit is beyond absurd. Please stay away from telling others what to eat. What next? "Don't eat your vegetables!"? Again, many of us eat hundreds and hundreds of carbs, and get plenty of sugar, yet we are lean and in great shape. Exercise. Calories in vs Calories out. To tell someone to avoid fruit because it has sugar in it shows ignorance in nutrition, plain and simple. To even attempt to delve further in it would be pointless. Please get an education. lol, wow.
So are you saying that the carbs from fruit are identical to the carbs in say, oatmeal, brown rice, potatoes?

Your right, calories in and calories out determine weight loss. Where those calories come from determine muscle or fat.

That's like saying 1500 calories of ice cream is identical to 1500 calories of chicken and brown rice...

I'm not saying fruit is terrible. I typically eat a piece of fruit a day. But to not understand the difference between simple and complex carbs, as you apparently don't, is quit laughable you seem to talk down to another poster for what he said is actually very true to an extent.

Last edited by houstan-dan; 04-24-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
I love fruit and eat it all day long (especially apples). I eat roughly 4-6 apples a day along with a chit load of fruits and other carbs (raw oats, yams, etc) I'm maintaining an 8-9% body fat, probably less. A lot of fruits (especially an apple) have a lower GI than brown rice, sweet potato, or whole wheat bread (as one poster suggested to substitute over fruit) So to suggest fruit is not good is absolutely.....well, misinformed.

I've never seen a person get fat eating fruits. I do however, see people get fat eating potatoes and rice.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:03 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I love fruit and eat it all day long (especially apples). I eat roughly 4-6 apples a day along with a chit load of fruits and other carbs (raw oats, yams, etc) I'm maintaining an 8-9% body fat, probably less. A lot of fruits (especially an apple) have a lower GI than brown rice, sweet potato, or whole wheat bread (as one poster suggested to substitute over fruit) So to suggest fruit is not good is absolutely.....well, misinformed.

I've never seen a person get fat eating fruits. I do however, see people get fat eating potatoes and rice.
The main problem here was with the title "Diet advice…" which is always sure to attract tons of people with no shortage of dogmatic if not completely false advice.

OP: Just be sensible. Identify your very worst food habits (hint: "living off pizza and beer") and cut them down to the bare minimum you need to not feel deprived long term. I prefer the once-per-week 'splurge'; Others set a certain time period each day to indulge in moderation. Then increase your intake of healthy foods like fruits, veggies, whole grain, lean meat, etc… and of course your exercise. You should see some dramatic weight loss pretty quickly if you do that because you'll be shifting the caloric intake/usage balance back in your favor. But that method will not get you down to the very low boidyfat % that people with 6-pack abs and very toned musculature have. If that's your goal, then only after you've lost the most of your excess body fat will you need to log all your meals, cut down on fruit and whole grain bread, etc. But cut the pizza and beer way way down first, and don't worry about all the overwhelming advice on what to eat, how and when.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,235 times
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with both of you. And your digestive system will love you when you consume an all fruit meal. I have days where all I eat is fruit and tons of it.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Default Why Fruit Is Better Than White Sugar (ie. Cake, etc.)

Is Sugar From Fruit Better For You Than White Sugar?

Quote:
On average, Americans don't eat enough fruit, so don't cut it out of your diet in an attempt to limit your sugar intake! Sugar itself isn't toxic. But getting too much of it from cookies and cake is.
Quote:
Don't get the idea that because the sugar composition is the same in fruit and cake, they're interchangeable. (Seriously, they're not.) For one thing, fruit offers good stuff like vitamins, antioxidants and water, while candy and desserts are nutritionally void. Fruit also tends to have less sugar by volume. Half a cup of strawberries: 3.5 grams of sugar. Half a cup of strawberry ice cream: 15 grams.
Plus, whole fruit has a lot of fiber, which actually slows down your body's digestion of glucose, so you don't get the crazy insulin spike (and subsequent crash) that candy causes. That also means your body has more time to use up glucose as fuel before storing it -- as fat.
Also, it is best to eat the whole fruit:

Does the Body Process Fruit Sugars the Same Way That It Does Refined Sugar?

Quote:
Although fruit is extremely beneficial to your health, it is even more so when all of its constituents are still present. Once fruit has been stewed, cooked or juiced, the benefits decline, as the cell wall has been destroyed and the fiber of the fruit is less constructed. Thus, drinking a glass of orange juice, although still rich in nutrients, is much more concentrated in sugar and is not going to give you the fiber benefits of an orange. The same is true when you cook or stew apples for applesauce and raspberries for jam. Keep the fruit fiber, and your body will thank you.

Last edited by RD5050; 04-24-2014 at 01:14 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 01:32 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Good post. The body can't recognize fruit sugar from white sugar; sugar is sugar as far as the body is concerned. Now, if a person juiced whole fruit, taking out all the fiber (which absorbs sugar) then it's no better than putting a teaspoon of white sugar in your mouth.

The body instinctively knows how to process natural foods high in sugar, but when it comes to processed foods (ice cream, bread-of any type, etc) it begins to struggle, storing it as fat.

I would never advise not eating fruit if someone was dieting down, but if muscle mass and surplus calories is what you want, then I advise eating your rice, potatoes and bread.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:30 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Now, if a person juiced whole fruit, taking out all the fiber (which absorbs sugar) then it's no better than putting a teaspoon of white sugar in your mouth.
No disrespect intended but I'd like to clarify one thing: the pulpy part of fruits and veggies which almost everyone refers to as "fiber" is actually mostly cellulose. It's a component of fiber, and it does have absorbent properties like you said, but it's not 'fiber' in the sense that most people are thinking when they call it that. That is, it doesn't act like a sponge as effectively as the insoluble fiber you'd get from beans and some types of grains and nuts. So I'd recommend eating whole produce whenever possible, but if you prefer it in juice form its still really beneficial because you're getting all the micronutrients and there are plenty of even better ways to get "fiber".

This whole thread is proof-positive of how much people often over-complicate things when it comes to dieting advice. Worry about eating pizza three times a day or a basket of chili fries every night at 10 pm? YES! Worry about some sugar you got from fruit, juiced or not. Don't bother, IMO. (I know you weren't saying to worry about and still agree wight he essence of what you've said)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness