Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthygina View Post
And the obesity epidemic is not related to less people smoking. Obesity is related to all of the processed food Americans eat. Just look in everyone's shopping carts in the supermarket, you will see boxes and bags, not fruits, vegetables, beans etc. The hormones added to milk and meat are outrageous. Switching to milk without hormones (preferably organic, but Staten Island supermarkets rape us for organic food, better to go to Wegmans right over the bridge), and eating meat that wasn't raised with hormones and antibiotics will allow you to lose weight, while also cutting out the boxed foods and cooking real food from scratch.
When smoking was virtually universal in America, there was very little obesity.

Smoking has many bad effects, but one can't deny that there are a few positive things about it, as unpopular as that may be to admit.

http://www.livescience.com/23556-5-h...f-smoking.html

Doctors used to recommend that their overweight patients start smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
For me, I smoke 4-5 ciggie's daily and and at 42 yr's of age can still run a 5 miler in 33mins.
What you said came to mind when I read this:

"Knee-replacement surgery was more common among joggers and the obese; smokers rarely jog, and they are less likely to be morbidly obese. The study, from the University of Adelaide in Australia, appears in the July issue of the journal Arthritis & Rheumatism."

Welp, every body's different! Good for you scirocco for keeping a balance & running, and keeping your cigs down to 5/day, if you must smoke I suppose you're doing it right.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:08 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waren zee View Post
Are you for real? Obviously, no.
Not totally unreal Warren. Some times when I step out of the shower and see that fat old man in the mirror the idea does occur to me. However I can do without the cough and stinking from the smoke.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
Hey, I had this problem and tried so many things. Different things work for different people and I was lucky enough to find one that worked for me. I lost 18 pounds in one month without much exercise and it's been a life changer. I'm a little embarrased to post my before and after photos here but if anyone actually cares to hear what I've been doing then I'd be happy to help in any way. Just shoot me an email at [email]adri124911@gmail.com[/email] and I'll show you my before and after photos, and tell you about how things are going for me with the stuff I've tried. I wish someone would have helped me out when I was struggling to find a solution so if I can help you then it would make my day

Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
If you put on a lot weight after you quit smoking would you be willing to start smoking again to lose weight??
this was the debate years ago, the either, or

too bad with all the billions of dollars, death and misery in the cigarrette world, not one person has invented a healthy cigarrette- or maybe they have and bought out-

what about pot??

if you listen to all the hype in legalizing it- the stuff is suppose to be the second coming- of miracles

seriously,,, if you are a non-smoker now,,, dont start,,, and if you are seriously considering it,,,just talk to someone outside smoking,,,you will notice how much it stinks,,, on/in their clothes, hair, car, it stinks,,,, smokers cant smell how much it stinks.... on themselves..
just for this alone, dont even start

if you truly believe smoking might help you lose weight, then try this simple thing first,,
drink water all day- be super hydrated,,, you wont be as hungry, you will eat less...
sounds simple,,,but when i want to drop some lbs,,,i tank the water all day ,
and cut your sugar intake in half...thats it,,try that for a month before lighting up

Old 04-23-2014, 12:58 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,031 times
Quote:
Start smoking to lose weight??
Horrible idea, yet still better, healthier, smarter, and more likely to succeed than the HCG diet.

It has to be about being healthy, not poundage. Focus on improving physically and no on losing weight.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:44 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
If you put on a lot weight after you quit smoking would you be willing to start smoking again to lose weight??
Because dead people lose weight faster than living people?

Old 04-23-2014, 03:27 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
seriously,,, if you are a non-smoker now,,, dont start,,, and if you are seriously considering it,,,just talk to someone outside smoking,,,you will notice how much it stinks,,, on/in their clothes, hair, car, it stinks,,,, smokers cant smell how much it stinks.... on themselves..
just for this alone, dont even start if you truly believe smoking might help you lose weight, then try this simple thing first,,
drink water all day- be super hydrated,,, you wont be as hungry, you will eat less...
sounds simple,,,but when i want to drop some lbs,,,i tank the water all day ,
and cut your sugar intake in half...thats it,,try that for a month before lighting up
Also, typing lots of commas and periods really helps burn the cals too!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:58 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Start smoking to lose weight?

Great idea.

I hear cancer is The Miracle Weight Loss Secret.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Start smoking to lose weight?

Great idea.

I hear cancer is The Miracle Weight Loss Secret.
Close.

Ayds Diet Candy - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness