Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times

Advertisements

Ever since I was little, I wanted to make the Olympic team in a sprinting event. Due to this fact, over the years of training, hardships and competing, I have accumulated a good deal of knowledge in regards to building a really good looking body! I also know a person in the NFL and other athletes to who are training for the Olympics so I can clearly SEE what works and what doesn't.

I will admit, it's really amazing, you are shooting for the stars but in the process you don't see that you are creating a better person in the process; physically and mentally.

Anyway, I can't help but to look at the average citizen and shake or scratch my head when I see people trying to get in shape and so forth. In fact, I get kind of angry. Angry at the person for not doing there homework as to what really works; and angry at most of these "so called" BS personal trainers for taking your money then stuffing there faces with fast food and partying that same night. Yes, I use to see it happen all the time at these fake commercial gyms when I use to work there. Many of the girls don't even work out at all; that are just young, skinny and good looking; but hay, if you want to trick off 600 bucks, go for it..

Well let me tell you what the biggest thing that I see done by the general masses that needs to stop! Please, for the sake of humanity STOP running all these marathons and long, slow distance running!! This hole idea of running 8 miles a day or however long is SO old and outdated!!! It's about circa 1950.

For females, long distance running has scientifically been proven to be bad for your joints and bones. I read a hole article about it. If you look at an X ray, a woman has very narrow hips and becasue of this it causes problems when you run for long distances over a period of time. Ladies, if you MUST exercise for a long period of time; ride a bike, or swim but please stop jogging! Your bones will thank you! And no, you don't need to drink milk to keep your bones strong; it's just another ploy to take your money.

For you men, all this long distance, slow running has been proven to LOWER your testosterone levels! Also, it makes you WEAK like a 10 year old school girl. Your body can't build two things at the same time and this is why. And for the love of God I hope you don't drink soy milk PERIOD becasue it will lower your testosterone levels even more! Drinking soy milk is the equivalent of taking birth control pills as far as what it does chemically to your body.

So, what I have found to be the best way to build a good looking body that when you walk around naked your mate will start drooling is a combo of a good healthy foods (shop at trader Joes!), tempo training and lifting weights in a combo of HEAVY LIFTING/LIGHT (high rep) LIFTING.

Lifting weights alone (which is sometimes all I can do when my life is busy) will give you a FIRM, HARD, SHAPELY, SEXY BODY! But none of this sissy 10 lbs weights fokes, AND NO WEIGHT MACHINES;you need to use free weights; and you really need to push yourself!!!

We are much like animals (tigers, lions) were we eat, sleep, sprint, have sex, sleep, eat, walk; ect, ect. But notice you don't see land animals just running for 10/20 mile stretches...lol People started doing it because somebody got the bright idea that it was healthy and now that we see other people doing it it only reinforces that behavior. But at some point in time we haft to face the music and say; "is this REALLY working?" Because as we go into this 24 hour non stop world if we are going to stay healthy we need to stay on top of our health.

Anyway, I'm going to leave you with 2 websites, they are probably the best websites in the world for the average person to get info on "real" training unlike all these "so called" personal trainers that you find in these fake commercial gyms.

TESTOSTERONE MUSCLE | Unapologetic Muscle-Building Elitists

EliteFTS - Powerlifting and Strength Training Products and Knowledge for Lifters, Athletes, Coaches, and Trainers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 09:34 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
I agree with a lot of this, but I also believe that individual cases vary. I agree with the comparison between the physical activities of humans and the natural activities of animals. In fact, you don't even have to look at animals. The everyday activities of human beings living close to the land provide a good picture of what we are built to do. Our physical evolution has progressed to the time when all people lived off the land. Our bodies are naturally adapted to perform the sorts of activities that pre-historic humans performed for survival. This means a lot of low-intensity exertion, with short bursts of high-intensity activities (sprinting--to get within spear-throwing range of an animal being hunted for food--for example, or lifting heavy objects).

However, I think there's more long-duration activity of meduim to high-medium intensity than you may be thinking. It's true that primitive people living off the land did a lot of walking, as opposed to what we would now call jogging, but they walked over rough ground, often up and down hills. Anyone who has done serious hiking knows that walking across a natural landscape is much more strenuous than a stroll along paved city streets. Think about this, and it seems that the level of exertion involved in much of the physical activity of hunter-gatherers would approximate the energy output of jogging. There appears to be more a problem with impact injuries from pounding the pavement than from the long stretches of medium intensity associated with jogging.

The results of military p.t. provide evidence that jogging and the development of strong, muscular physiques are not mutually exclusive. As long as one consumes enough calories to support many miles of running combined with strength training, it's possible to achieve a high level of aerobic fitness through running, while also building muscle mass. On the other hand, it's also true that the limited time most people have for working out is likely to mean that putting in the hours it takes to run many miles may leave little time for any other exercise. For this reason, it would seem that those interested in overall fitness would do better to strike a balance between strength training and a moderate cardio regimen.

As for the pounding the body takes when running long distances, take a look at the kind of training I assume you do if you are seriously aiming to try for the Olympics as a sprinter. Set after set of sprints adds up to several miles of running, and that's hard running, which may strain the bones and joints more than long-distance work of lower intensity. However, a typical sprint workout still involves running fewer miles than the distance people cover when doing serious endurance work, as in training for marathons. It may be that there is a certain distance, which probably varies from person to person, beyond which you cross a threshold into territory where the cumulative strain of pounding the pavement wears on the body. There still is probably individual variation. Those with lean builds and little in the way of slight skeletal abnormalities that could be exacerbated by repeated stress probably do all right with serious long-distance running, while others might want to avoid this activity.

A certain amount of running may be all right for many people, though. I mentioned military p.t. as an example above. In my early and mid twenties, I myself attained good all-around fitness, including a substantial gain in muscle mass, through a combination of weight-training and medium-intensity runs of about three miles at a time several days a week.

On the other hand, it's possible that I might also be an example of the limits on how much running it's advisable for someone who has packed on some muscle to do regularly, because I eventually developed knee trouble, and had to find other forms of aerobic exercise than running. It's difficult to be sure about that one. At the time I was benefiting from my running/lifting combination, specialized running shoes were still a fairly new development, and not so much was known about how long a good pair of shoes would hold up. I now know that I had been using the same pair of running shoes far too long--over two years--for them to continue providing enough of a cushion. What's more, while using these worn out shoes, I got in shape for a demanding backpacking trip by taking only about a month to work up from those three-mile runs to workouts of five and six miles at a time. It's entirely possible that my knee problems resulted more from a combination of bad shoes and upping my running distances too suddenly than from running at a weight of close to 200 pounds. The only way to be sure would be to know how well a lot of 200-pounders fare over time while including runs of a few miles at a time in their workouts, wearing proper shoes and working up to their running distances gradually.

At any rate, it does appear possible that a moderate amount of running properly done as part of an overall fitness program does not necessarily have to cause injury, or to compromise the development of muscle mass. I do agree, though, that those without the perfect marathoner's build might want to be careful in their selection of activities, and might want to consider getting their cardio in other ways than running. It's really an individual issue, more complicated than saying either that anyone can run long distances safely or that everyone should avoid distance running at all costs.

Last edited by ogre; 11-08-2008 at 09:43 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 09:52 PM

Hmm, okay, so now that I've finished that long-winded post above, I finally go to the links in the original post and see that they are commercial, which might be why no one had responded to this post until now. While I don't want to support the use of this forum for commercial purposes, I'll stand by what I said in the earlier post. Perhaps the OP at least has offered a topic worth discussing.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:55 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
I think one of the appeals of marathons or triathalons, etc. is the sense of accomplishment you get from completing one. Also, they get people moving. And that, in any form, is better than a sedantary (sp?) lifestyle.

Ogre, agreed. This is a decent topic despite the shameless spamming by the OP.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:00 AM

Agreed completely. Any physical activity is better than being a couch potato.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:31 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Ever since I was little, I wanted to make the Olympic team in a sprinting event. Due to this fact, over the years of training, hardships and competing, I have accumulated a good deal of knowledge in regards to building a really good looking body! I also know a person in the NFL and other athletes to who are training for the Olympics so I can clearly SEE what works and what doesn't.

I will admit, it's really amazing, you are shooting for the stars but in the process you don't see that you are creating a better person in the process; physically and mentally.

Anyway, I can't help but to look at the average citizen and shake or scratch my head when I see people trying to get in shape and so forth. In fact, I get kind of angry. Angry at the person for not doing there homework as to what really works; and angry at most of these "so called" BS personal trainers for taking your money then stuffing there faces with fast food and partying that same night. Yes, I use to see it happen all the time at these fake commercial gyms when I use to work there. Many of the girls don't even work out at all; that are just young, skinny and good looking; but hay, if you want to trick off 600 bucks, go for it..

Well let me tell you what the biggest thing that I see done by the general masses that needs to stop! Please, for the sake of humanity STOP running all these marathons and long, slow distance running!! This hole idea of running 8 miles a day or however long is SO old and outdated!!! It's about circa 1950.

For females, long distance running has scientifically been proven to be bad for your joints and bones. I read a hole article about it. If you look at an X ray, a woman has very narrow hips and becasue of this it causes problems when you run for long distances over a period of time. Ladies, if you MUST exercise for a long period of time; ride a bike, or swim but please stop jogging! Your bones will thank you! And no, you don't need to drink milk to keep your bones strong; it's just another ploy to take your money.

For you men, all this long distance, slow running has been proven to LOWER your testosterone levels! Also, it makes you WEAK like a 10 year old school girl. Your body can't build two things at the same time and this is why. And for the love of God I hope you don't drink soy milk PERIOD becasue it will lower your testosterone levels even more! Drinking soy milk is the equivalent of taking birth control pills as far as what it does chemically to your body.

So, what I have found to be the best way to build a good looking body that when you walk around naked your mate will start drooling is a combo of a good healthy foods (shop at trader Joes!), tempo training and lifting weights in a combo of HEAVY LIFTING/LIGHT (high rep) LIFTING.

Lifting weights alone (which is sometimes all I can do when my life is busy) will give you a FIRM, HARD, SHAPELY, SEXY BODY! But none of this sissy 10 lbs weights fokes, AND NO WEIGHT MACHINES;you need to use free weights; and you really need to push yourself!!!

We are much like animals (tigers, lions) were we eat, sleep, sprint, have sex, sleep, eat, walk; ect, ect. But notice you don't see land animals just running for 10/20 mile stretches...lol People started doing it because somebody got the bright idea that it was healthy and now that we see other people doing it it only reinforces that behavior. But at some point in time we haft to face the music and say; "is this REALLY working?" Because as we go into this 24 hour non stop world if we are going to stay healthy we need to stay on top of our health.

Anyway, I'm going to leave you with 2 websites, they are probably the best websites in the world for the average person to get info on "real" training unlike all these "so called" personal trainers that you find in these fake commercial gyms.

TESTOSTERONE MUSCLE | Unapologetic Muscle-Building Elitists

EliteFTS - Powerlifting and Strength Training Products and Knowledge for Lifters, Athletes, Coaches, and Trainers
that was dumb

Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 PM

689 posts, read 2,582,389 times
Thanks for the spam. I run for the enjoyment of being outside and getting my body moving. I run to keep my ticker ticking. I'm not trying to sculpt some sort of perfect body shape, just happy I don't have a gut and that extra 25 or 30 pounds that I used to carry around.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:24 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Different strokes. Some people are born with a body for distance running, some people are born with a body for terrorism. Just depends.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,021 times
I agree and being on this forum is probably what i should not being doing right now, lol

Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
that was dumb

What on EARTH are you talking about?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness