Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 01:39 AM

119 posts, read 172,961 times

Advertisements

I heard that doing sit ups and similar exercises for the abs will make my stomach to look big? Am I supposed to 1st lose all of the weight? Or should I wait until I am a few pounds close to the weight I am aiming for? I will start from 140 and go down to 117lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 05:05 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,008,516 times
Doing ab work will not make your stomach look big. Just like leg work won't make your thighs look fat. Those are just dumb things people say in the gym. Heard them all, it's all BS.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:11 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,373,799 times
If you're going on a 20lb weight loss diet, nothing will get big; no matter what exercise you do. For anything to grow, enough food must be consumed.

BTW: You heard wrong about ab exercises. Its pretty funny that one one believe that.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:32 PM

so why is it that I have been doing it for 3 weeks and my stomach looks bigger than it should considering I lose a lot of weight? I've lost weight before only doing cardio, it's the first time I'm doing situps and abdominal workout on the machine and my stomach looks bigger, meaning wider and it sticks out more than it did in the past? because it is true, sit ups and ab exercise do this, you must first lose all the weight or most of it before doing it

Old 05-11-2014, 09:40 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,373,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRobert View Post
so why is it that I have been doing it for 3 weeks and my stomach looks bigger than it should considering I lose a lot of weight? I've lost weight before only doing cardio, it's the first time I'm doing situps and abdominal workout on the machine and my stomach looks bigger, meaning wider and it sticks out more than it did in the past? because it is true, sit ups and ab exercise do this, you must first lose all the weight or most of it before doing it
3weeks of ab exercises on a machine and you think you gain all that muscle on your abs? on a calorie deficient diet no less

Abdominal muscles are one (if not the hardest) group of muscles to train and get big. I can guarantee, your stomach isn't getting bigger because of muscle (not in 3weeks) its either water retention or fat.

Looks can be deceiving.

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 05-11-2014 at 09:59 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 09:49 PM

21,909 posts, read 25,231,561 times
Pretty much impossible for abs to ever look big, unless you go the Darryn Lyons route and get plastic surgery done anyway. Thighs are a different matter.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:40 AM

515 posts, read 1,005,607 times
OP comes in and asks a question then answers his own questions and says it must be true after three weeks

Do some cardio, do some weight training, keep a food log. Standard answer and no you haven't gotten a bigger stomach from abs.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:45 AM

I know it's bigger since when I always get up to 130lbs I know what my stomach should look like, this time it looked much bigger than what it usually did and the only change I made this time was doing sit ups and the abdominal machine, I asked to see how exactly doing these exercises make my stomach bigger

Old 05-12-2014, 08:29 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,834,493 times
Quote:
I know it's bigger since when I always get up to 130lbs I know what my stomach should look like, this time it looked much bigger than what it usually did and the only change I made this time was doing sit ups and the abdominal machine, I asked to see how exactly doing these exercises make my stomach bigger
They don't. The only way your stomach gets bigger is by eating or drinking too much. And get off that abdominal machine. There are much better ways to work your abs.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:59 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,588,017 times
Quote:
I heard that doing sit ups and similar exercises for the abs will make my stomach to look big? Am I supposed to 1st lose all of the weight? Or should I wait until I am a few pounds close to the weight I am aiming for? I will start from 140 and go down to 117lbs.
Well judging by your name you are a male, and at 117 lbs you would be a VERY light man. If you are approaching starvation the body will react in unusual ways, and also the bodys shape will change in a different way compared to otherwise.

If you are young it's a different story, but a full grown male below 130~ lbs sounds unhealthy... or mayhabs even dangerous unless you are very short...

I'm used to the metric system though, but I have a hard time picturing healthy at 50 kg~ish for anyone around normal height
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness