Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Ok, and? How many guys do you see throwing away Sports Illustrated or VS catalogs because according to internet white knights, the models look "anorexic" simply because they're thin (and not fat like the rest of the US population)?

It's called a preference. I am a naturally smaller girl, so it would only make sense that I would want to be petite versus looking like the hulk
Actually, those models might very well be overfat in terms of proportion of body weight. In fact, unless a person is strenuously active, severe dieting is guaranteed to make a person proportionately overfat even if they measure "thin."

If a person engages in highly frequent strenuous activity on a consistent basis, she must either eat enough to maintain that activity. If she diets so severely that she cannot maintain frequent strenuous activity, she's going to be proportionately overfat.

A healthy person will be a strong person. A strong person will either be thin and defined if she has little body fat or be smoother and bulkier if she has more bodyfat.

Skinny and smooth is not a healthy person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 11:17 AM

324 posts, read 877,433 times
Quote:
I am a naturally smaller girl, so it would only make sense that I would want to be petite versus looking like the hulk
what you consider hulk, I would probably consider as healthy and attractive.

aliss2 and Ralph nailed it.
Women who struggle to look petite but find it easy to get impressive muscular physiques really don't know what they are talking about.

it takes a solid understanding of nutrition and exercise to know how to build muscle.

Any woman that had a true understanding of fitness would easily know that scaling down calories, increasing cardio and lifting heavy are the 3 components needed to become small and athletic (petite).

...after you become petite you switch to high intensity training with a strict caloric cap to maintain.

or...you could go into severe caloric deficit (not recommended) and high intensity training with timed carbs.

there is also the amount of sleep and fats a woman takes in for proper metabolic reactions to occur.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:19 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually, those models might very well be overfat in terms of proportion of body weight. In fact, unless a person is strenuously active, severe dieting is guaranteed to make a person proportionately overfat even if they measure "thin."

If a person engages in highly frequent strenuous activity on a consistent basis, she must either eat enough to maintain that activity. If she diets so severely that she cannot maintain frequent strenuous activity, she's going to be proportionately overfat.

A healthy person will be a strong person. A strong person will either be thin and defined if she has little body fat or be smoother and bulkier if she has more bodyfat.

They're perfectly healthy. But some of y'all online can't stand that fact, but you all push for overweight people being healthy online lmao. you should probably go tell all of the women who are 5'4 150 lbs that they're unhealthy considering their high body fat percentage.

Plenty of people are healthy without being "strong."

Old 06-01-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
what you consider hulk, I would probably consider as healthy and attractive.

aliss2 probably nailed it.
Women who struggle to look petite but find it easy to get impressive muscular physiques really don't know what they are talking about.

it takes a solid understanding of nutrition and exercise to know how to build muscle.

Any woman that had a true understanding of fitness would easily know that scaling down calories, increasing cardio and lifting heavy are the 3 components needed to become small and athletic (petite).

...after you become petite you switch to high intensity training with a strict caloric cap to maintain.

or...you could go into severe caloric deficit (not recommended) and high intensity training with timed carbs.

there is also the amount of sleep and fats a woman takes in for proper metabolic reactions to occur.
And what you consider as healthy and attractive is kind of irrelevant to me? My life and my body and I have to live with it.

I eat very healthy and i'm very active. I DO gain muscle easily, regardless of whether or not you believe me. But I now know what works for me and what doesn't.

I do have an understanding of fitness, thank you very much. Just because I don't follow your workout advice doesn't mean I don't have an understanding. I don't need the advice, bye.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:32 AM

324 posts, read 877,433 times
that post was not directed at you coffeendonuts since you have achieved what you are after aesthetically. I am not doubting your knowledge and understanding of what has worked for you and could potentially work for others, I am addressing the general consensus of women in this thread who are struggling to achieve their aesthetic goal.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
They're perfectly healthy. But some of y'all online can't stand that fact, but you all push for overweight people being healthy online lmao. you should probably go tell all of the women who are 5'4 150 lbs that they're unhealthy considering their high body fat percentage.

Plenty of people are healthy without being "strong."
No, women who faint from exertion on a photography set are not healthy.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
No, women who faint from exertion on a photography set are not healthy.
VS models aren't fainting on set high end models =/= VS models. Most VS models aren't even respected in the fashion industry. The only ones who have been are Karolina Kurkova & Gisele. The rest are kind of jokes and are considered difficult to work with.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:36 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:

Oh geez. Who cares, they look damn good.
I'd gladly take being 'overfat' and 'unhealthy' like a VS model if I could look like one

Old 06-01-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Oh geez. Who cares, they look damn good.
I'd gladly take being 'overfat' and 'unhealthy' like a VS model if I could look like one
Yes, a head slap is appropriate for that opinion.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:17 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Quote:
Yes, yoga and pilates would be better for your goals.

I switched from weight lifting to mostly Pilates and I honestly could not be happier. I do Pilates on a reformer and we still do lots of squats & lunges, even with light weights sometimes.

Some of the posters on here are acting like women will fall apart if they don't lift weights. 2/3 of Americans are overweight, so not lifting weights isn't gonna be the thing that kills.

I think Pilates has changed my body more than squatting 150 lbs (which I use to do) ever could have.

But I also run long distance so that may have affected the shape of my legs as well.
150 lbs?! Do you have the much weight on the barbells? I've never known how it's possible for a woman to squat so much weight..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness