Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 10:37 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,515,789 times

Advertisements

I think the hardest message to convey is that women need strength training as well. They don't realize that strength training will fix a lot of the ailments as they age. Women get fractures and backpains easily even those that exercise get hurt easily because they have weak core that can't get stronger via a normal cardio and aerobics exercise.

Unless you do aerobics for a living, you can't strengthen your core without putting some intensive work to your system.

Those women I see running treadmill and doing the Wednesday aerobics class. They still look the same and not seeing any results unless they triple their exercise regime or simply add 30mins of strength training each time. I think even one 30 min resistance training a week is sufficient if it is intense enough.

Nobody is asking women to lift 120lbs+ just doing some simple 15lb dumbells and 25lbs or machine based resistance training is better than nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 10:54 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,532,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I believe, everybody should try to live an active lifestyle. I don't believe, strength training/working out is imperative to live a long healthy life. What I do believe, and advocate, is that people should eat healthy.

My great great grandma can still walk as far as mile and never once she did squats, or had an exercise regiment.
The only way I will ever stop weight training is if I sustain some sort of injury that prevents it. I like being a strong, physically capable and muscular man. Plus, there are so many health benefits that go along with weight training and working out. Having a healthy diet simply goes hand-in-hand with the training. I'm not sure why you're in this forum trying to convince people that working out isn't necessary. You should go to a forum for people who are not into physical fitness.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:54 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,239,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The only way I will ever stop weight training is if I sustain some sort of injury that prevents it. I like being a strong, physically capable and muscular man. Plus, there are so many health benefits that go along with weight training and working out. Having a healthy diet simply goes hand-in-hand with the training. I'm not sure why you're in this forum trying to convince people that working out isn't necessary. You should go to a forum for people who are not into physical fitness.
Never have I discourage or try to convince anyone from strength training or exercising, I'm merely saying it's not ""IMPERATIVE"" to ones over all health.

And dude....I post 'my opinions' wherever I want and don't need your stamp of approval, or anybody else's.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:27 PM

4,105 posts, read 5,525,517 times
Quote:
I believe, everybody should try to live an active lifestyle. I don't believe, strength training/working out is imperative to live a long healthy life. What I do believe, and advocate, is that people should eat healthy.

My great great grandma can still walk as far as mile and never once she did squats, or had an exercise regiment.
And how is gggranny's osteoporosis? How many inches in height has she lost? Hunched over?

Walking does not help bone density.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:39 PM

896 posts, read 1,392,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think the hardest message to convey is that women need strength training as well. They don't realize that strength training will fix a lot of the ailments as they age. Women get fractures and backpains easily even those that exercise get hurt easily because they have weak core that can't get stronger via a normal cardio and aerobics exercise.

Unless you do aerobics for a living, you can't strengthen your core without putting some intensive work to your system.

Those women I see running treadmill and doing the Wednesday aerobics class. They still look the same and not seeing any results unless they triple their exercise regime or simply add 30mins of strength training each time. I think even one 30 min resistance training a week is sufficient if it is intense enough.

Nobody is asking women to lift 120lbs+ just doing some simple 15lb dumbells and 25lbs or machine based resistance training is better than nothing.

Understandable, but everyone does not get the same results. When I isolate strength training it gives me a bulky build that I do not like. I do not look lean, I look overly muscley and swollen, and I am not talking about body builder type.

I see traditional strength training working on wiry thin types. These people look amazing after traditional strength training.

I have the build of a basketball player. So most strength training adds unwanted bulk to my frame. When I eat right and do moderate cardio my body slims and still tones fast without lifting weights. If I do any strength training it is more of functional type like lifting or pushing things as needed with use of my entire body or just walking and really paying attention to my core using my own body weight and chest.

If you are really flabby and want to change you shape I guess traditional lifting works, but I like my body shape and do not want to change.

In addition, my body shape changes easily with just cardio. Like now I have a more a butt which I hate because I live in a building where I walk up instead of an elevator. I am not excited about this change as I am already top heavy.

The point is everyone has a different build and my shape changes fast from just cardio activities alone.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:

I've changed my routines over the last couple of years and I think I work just about every muscle. Added several core routines, also use ankle weights mainly for thighs and glutes. I use dumbbells (9 routines), resistance machines, pushups, triceps dips, lunges, squats, etc etc. I only get a backache if I overdo it or increase weights before I'm ready. My main reason for intense workouts is health and fitness but I do enjoy seeing the changes in my shape and the increased muscles including my middle.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:48 PM

10,274 posts, read 10,512,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I can put my pants on, walk to the mailbox, mow the yard, and walk through the store with a bag of dog food over my shoulder. No strength training ever needed for any of that. Drinking water..now THAT is something thats imperative for me.
Quote:

My father-in-law cut his grass, planted a garden and played golf for much of his life. He thought that was enough exercise and couldn't understand why I ran and lifted weights. He is now 85 and while relatively healthy, is becoming increasingly frail and thin. You can either look at his life as someone who lived to be almost 86 without every lifting weights, or someone who would currently have a much higher quality of life if he would've started lifting weights at some earlier point in his life.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:49 PM

896 posts, read 1,392,481 times
Quote:

I am assuming they are eating too many calories ,not using different muscles, or maybe their is where is needs to be. In addition, you can use different muscles without traditional strength training

Old 05-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
My father-in-law cut his grass, planted a garden and played golf for much of his life. He thought that was enough exercise and couldn't understand why I ran and lifted weights. He is now 85 and while relatively healthy, is becoming increasingly frail and thin. You can either look at his life as someone who lived to be almost 86 without every lifting weights, or someone who would currently have a much higher quality of life if he would've started lifting weights at some earlier point in his life.
The elderly can increase their bone density among other benefits by doing strength training.

Resistance Training and Bone Mass

Old 05-27-2014, 02:14 PM

28,573 posts, read 18,582,473 times
Quote:

I strongly suspect your great-great-grandma had an early lifestyle like my grandfather (who died at 102) that included a large amount of physical activity in childhood and earlier adulthood that the average American does not normally get in our modern daily life.

In addition, I've lived in Hawaii myself, and I know that even today Hawaii residents enjoy a cleaner, healthier environment than most other Americans. Things such as first-use water (direct from the rain to the aquifer to the spigot), clean air, much more sunshine, healthier diets, et cetera, that don't have to be compensated for by more deliberate effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness