Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:17 AM

304 posts, read 1,019,577 times

Advertisements

So it's my very first marathon, only a few days away and I am super pumped after training all summer!

Anyone here run it before or running it this weekend? Any general advice or experiences you'd like to share for either the MCM or other big races?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 12:26 PM

903 posts, read 584,082 times
I have done one Marathon and one 1/2. About to complete my first Spartan.

My advice is stick to your training. During my first full, when it came to the race I ran it different than what I trained for. Hoped for a better time and all of that. Ended up suffering at the end. Still finished, but boy was I wiped out.

Try to enjoy it. Don't just run to run. Smell some roses, you know.

Listen to your body. It knows the difference between able to push a bit more or wait, I'd better take a break.

Good luck. :O)

Old 10-21-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
I have done one Marathon and one 1/2. About to complete my first Spartan.

My advice is stick to your training. During my first full, when it came to the race I ran it different than what I trained for. Hoped for a better time and all of that. Ended up suffering at the end. Still finished, but boy was I wiped out.

Try to enjoy it. Don't just run to run. Smell some roses, you know.

Listen to your body. It knows the difference between able to push a bit more or wait, I'd better take a break.

Good luck. :O)
Thanks for the advice and good luck on the Spartan! I'd like to try one of those next year.

I definitely hear you on keeping to training, I ran too fast early on in my first half-marathon last year (unsustainable 5K sprinting pace) and really struggled at the end. I forced myself to be much more consistent in pacing this year and shaved off over a minute per mile pace on a half marathon a few weeks ago, actually feel like I may have left some on the table at the end!

Old 10-21-2014, 02:24 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Don't shoot out of the gate running fast trying for a PR. Pace yourself and have fun!!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Damn I wanted to run this one--I am jealous. I even set aside vacation time, but did not make it happen. My main advice like veuvegirl is to go out slow and wait until at least mile 20 to hit the gas. If you are not bored in the first 15 or so miles, you are running too fast and will pay dearly after mile 20.

Best wishes...maybe next year I can join you. I demand updates on how it turns out for you this year. Marathon is a beast....

Old 10-21-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Don't shoot out of the gate running fast trying for a PR. Pace yourself and have fun!!
Will do, thanks!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Damn I wanted to run this one--I am jealous. I even set aside vacation time, but did not make it happen. My main advice like veuvegirl is to go out slow and wait until at least mile 20 to hit the gas. If you are not bored in the first 15 or so miles, you are running too fast and will pay dearly after mile 20.

Best wishes...maybe next year I can join you. I demand updates on how it turns out for you this year. Marathon is a beast....
Sorry you couldn't make it, hopefully it will work out next year!

I ran their 17.75K automatic qualifier back in April to be assured a guaranteed spot since the lottery can be a bit tricky.

As you said, I've heard the last few miles can be excruciating if you burn out too quickly...updates on the finish later this Sunday!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
I didn't know about the qualifier, so thank you for that info. I will check into it for 2015. 17.75K is an unusual distance.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I didn't know about the qualifier, so thank you for that info. I will check into it for 2015. 17.75K is an unusual distance.
Yeah, they've been doing it a few years now, it's was in mid-April this year but I believe they bumped it up to late March in 2015:

It's 17.75k to commemorate the founding of the Marine Corps in 1775, and I believe that is the max number of entries for the race, I think it sold out in about 7 minutes this year so sign up as soon as possible on March 11!

Oh and you don't need a blazing-fast Boston Marathon equivalent time to get the guaranteed access, just gotta finish the race.

Good luck!

Old 10-26-2014, 04:56 PM

Finished the Marine Corps Marathon this morning!

Except for some wind towards the end, conditions were pretty great and no injuries or excessive exhaustion throughout the race...I admit I was hoping for a slightly faster time (was with the 3:25 pace until about mile 20) but am all around pretty happy with 3:36 for a first marathon, all things considered. Lots of time to train and improve for next year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness