Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 02:31 PM

390 posts, read 824,490 times

Advertisements

I have noticed this about my eating habits as I am losing weight: When I do sustained low intensity cardio, I tend to have a voracious appetite afterwards, and if I am not controlling my portions and what I was eating, I will easily eat more calories than I what burned from the exercise. Conversely, when I do interval training or high intensity interval training, my appetite seems to be significantly suppressed - I can eat a chicken salad and a banana for lunch and feel more than satisfied.

This seems to be true for a lot of people, but doesn't yet seem to be a well researched phenomenon. I did find this article on it, which involved a small study of overweight men. The higher intensity of the exercise they did, the less calories they ate afterwards.

High intensity workouts curb appetites: International Journal of Obesity - NY Daily News

So if this is true, then it means that not only is high intensity cardio superior due to its metabolic effects, but it is also superior for weight loss in that it causes us to eat less!

Has anyone else noticed this when doing high intensity cardio vs low intensity cardio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 01:08 PM

2,139 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
I have noticed this about my eating habits as I am losing weight: When I do sustained low intensity cardio, I tend to have a voracious appetite afterwards, and if I am not controlling my portions and what I was eating, I will easily eat more calories than I what burned from the exercise. Conversely, when I do interval training or high intensity interval training, my appetite seems to be significantly suppressed - I can eat a chicken salad and a banana for lunch and feel more than satisfied.

This seems to be true for a lot of people, but doesn't yet seem to be a well researched phenomenon. I did find this article on it, which involved a small study of overweight men. The higher intensity of the exercise they did, the less calories they ate afterwards.

High intensity workouts curb appetites: International Journal of Obesity - NY Daily News

So if this is true, then it means that not only is high intensity cardio superior due to its metabolic effects, but it is also superior for weight loss in that it causes us to eat less!

Has anyone else noticed this when doing high intensity cardio vs low intensity cardio?
I eat more hanging around the house inactive than I do on a day when I spend an hour at the gym and do some challenging bike riding.

Don in Austin

Old 06-06-2014, 01:38 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
All that I have noticed is if I work out long enough through the hunger pains my appetite with shrink down, intensity has no effect.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I have no hunger after any type of cardio but do want something cold to drink afterwards. I do drink iced coffee with milk so getting a bit of sugar intake via the milk. (12 grams per cup of milk.) I will have a bowl of plain oatmeal about 60 to 90 minutes later but do not crave it.

Conversely, I am starved for steak,eggs and similar after lifting weights.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:01 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
For me it depends on the number of miles I'm putting in. Whenever I've been running 45 or more miles a week, I'm always hungry, except right after I run. High intensity and low intensity are relative. My high mileage weeks always included an interval workout, which was very high intensity. Many weeks. I was also running a race as fast as possible, which was a 5K, 10K or longer.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:50 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
I find that I have no appetite at all soon after intense exercise. Then several hours later I'm ravenous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness