Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 11:32 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,611 times

Advertisements

Newsflash, you aren't a professional runner. Get off the street and run on the sidewalk before you're killed or cause an accident.

When three moms want to slow jog through the neighborhood, you dont have to run three across holding up traffic every morning. If you are so crazy into running that you want to run on the street because you read somewhere that it's better for your knees, you shouldn't need to chat it up the whole time about the local mommy mafia drama of the week, because running is serious business. In the three weeks your trendy running phase lasts, I think you're brand new $200 custom fit neon orange shoes will keep your knees safe on the sidewalk, so get the hell out of the way. Don't worry, we'll all see your stunning new "racing outfit" and matching headband if you run on the sidewalk, and we're all really impressed with your 15 minute mile pace.

That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 12:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Newsflash, you aren't a professional runner. Get off the street and run on the sidewalk before you're killed or cause an accident.

When three moms want to slow jog through the neighborhood, you dont have to run three across holding up traffic every morning. If you are so crazy into running that you want to run on the street because you read somewhere that it's better for your knees, you shouldn't need to chat it up the whole time about the local mommy mafia drama of the week, because running is serious business. In the three weeks your trendy running phase lasts, I think you're brand new $200 custom fit neon orange shoes will keep your knees safe on the sidewalk, so get the hell out of the way. Don't worry, we'll all see your stunning new "racing outfit" and matching headband if you run on the sidewalk, and we're all really impressed with your 15 minute mile pace.

That is all.
The three across applies more to walkers. I've seen people do it on trails and on tracks. I've seen walkers on a track shocked when I yelled "track" when I was running timed intervals and wanted to use the inside lane.

Sidewalks are another story. I live out in the country so I rarely venture into town to run. It is difficult to run on the sidewalks in town because of low hanging tree branches and raised sidewalk slabs that you can trip over.

Running on country roads has its own risks. I've had vehicles speed up and pass me at 70 MPH and come as close as possible. Some roads don't have much room to get off to the side.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:18 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
You want to talk about exercise nuisances? Cyclists going up hill, on a narrow two lane road.

Also LMAO @ "Local mommy mafia"

Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
I run the city streets at 2:30am: no cars, no problem.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I run the city streets at 2:30am: no cars, no problem.
no witnesses....

Old 06-09-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Running on country roads has its own risks. I've had vehicles speed up and pass me at 70 MPH and come as close as possible. Some roads don't have much room to get off to the side.
Why run there at all then, I don't understand that either. Why choose a road that cars can even get to that speed, or where there's no room to get out of the way. Seems like a deathwish, just run somewhere else where your chances of horrific death are far less.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Why run there at all then, I don't understand that either. Why choose a road that cars can even get to that speed, or where there's no room to get out of the way. Seems like a deathwish, just run somewhere else where your chances of horrific death are far less.
These are back country roads where the speed limit is 35 or 40 MPH. There are not that many cars on these roads. I usually move to the other side when a car is coming. It is only a problem when two cars are passing in opposite directions and it is close to me. In most places there is room to get off the road.

Where would you suggest I run? I live in a development in the country outside of town. I sometimes run on a trail but it requires driving to get there. It also gets dark earlier on the trail since it is in a valley and mostly covered with trees.

Where do you run?

Old 06-09-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
These are back country roads where the speed limit is 35 or 40 MPH. There are not that many cars on these roads. I usually move to the other side when a car is coming. It is only a problem when two cars are passing in opposite directions and it is close to me. In most places there is room to get off the road.

Where would you suggest I run? I live in a development in the country outside of town. I sometimes run on a trail but it requires driving to get there. It also gets dark earlier on the trail since it is in a valley and mostly covered with trees.

Where do you run?
Tread mill, a gym, local school track, trails, depends on where you live, doesnt sound like you have much a choice and have a bunch of jerks travelling that road.

I dont run, but if I did, I would do it on a tread mill where I could watch TV and eat hamburgers while I run.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:42 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
In the three weeks your trendy running phase lasts, I think you're brand new $200 custom fit neon orange shoes will keep your knees safe on the sidewalk
This made me smile.

Repped.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:47 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,363 times
You should tell this to people who like to think they're Lance Armstrong. I never see runners doing this, only cyclists holding up traffic

I run on a trail or on the sidewalk. I'm scared of getting ran over. I don't even like to cross the street let alone run on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness