Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
As a beginner, yes you can add lean mass while on a cut. Its not very efficient but it can be done. It becomes nearly impossible to add lean mass after 6 months to a year of training when your body has adapted to weight training protocols. The only time to really do a "recomp" is at the beginning of your training career. AFter that its most efficient to either cut or bulk.

But then again many have a different idea of what a recomp is
Totally in agreement. Probably not going to have the same gains in pure muscle mass that I would if I devoted myself to a clean bulk diet, but for my goals of looking better naked, I need get my body fat percentage down before anything else. If I can gain a couple pounds of lean muscle in the process, it's a win-win by eating at a deficit.

What I'm most amazed about is the level of satisfaction/lack of hunger I feel since I cleaned up my diet, even at reduced calories. I hope it lasts. I still have my cheat days once every 10 days, but even then, I try to limit calories to no more than maintenance levels.

Last edited by Philosophizer; 06-26-2014 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM

291 posts, read 392,386 times
I'm not a lifter. I'm a woman who trains for general strength and fitness.

But let me tell you how you can EASILY add healthy calories to your diet: whole milk and dairy. No nonfat. That stuff tastes worse anyway.

Organic dairy, particularly grass-fed, has lots of healthy fats in it.

Rather than "cheating" with chocolate covered almonds, just buy high-quality unsalted, unroasted (doesn't have to be "raw" as that only means not pasteurized--unsalted is fine) almonds and eat them throughout the day.

Add on an apple and help yourself to a couple of boiled eggs with salt and pepper and you've just added a good 500 calories or more, clean, healthy and pro-muscle, to your diet.

Eat a big huge salad with a lot of olive oil and walnuts on it.

At 6'1" and 184 lbs, you are eating less than me, a 5'5" woman who is around 116 lbs. True, I work out and I'm not losing weight, but I have got to eat at least 2,000 calories per day when I'm working out. What workout are you using, that you can eat so few calories?

Old 06-26-2014, 06:57 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeZeeZee View Post
I'm not a lifter. I'm a woman who trains for general strength and fitness.

But let me tell you how you can EASILY add healthy calories to your diet: whole milk and dairy. No nonfat. That stuff tastes worse anyway.

Organic dairy, particularly grass-fed, has lots of healthy fats in it.

Rather than "cheating" with chocolate covered almonds, just buy high-quality unsalted, unroasted (doesn't have to be "raw" as that only means not pasteurized--unsalted is fine) almonds and eat them throughout the day.

Add on an apple and help yourself to a couple of boiled eggs with salt and pepper and you've just added a good 500 calories or more, clean, healthy and pro-muscle, to your diet.

Eat a big huge salad with a lot of olive oil and walnuts on it.

At 6'1" and 184 lbs, you are eating less than me, a 5'5" woman who is around 116 lbs. True, I work out and I'm not losing weight, but I have got to eat at least 2,000 calories per day when I'm working out. What workout are you using, that you can eat so few calories?
1510 is too few. I ended up eating a serving of oatmeal and cashews before going to sleep which put me at about 1800 for the day, which from what I've read is a good rule of thumb for cutting (10 calories per pound of body weight). Haven't been counting calories this strict for long at all, so I'll use the scale to make adjustments on a weekly basis. Anywhere from 1-1.5 pounds of fat loss a week is my goal. If you're trying to limit fat and carbs in your macros, I still contend that it's difficult to eat maintenance calories.

Last edited by Philosophizer; 06-26-2014 at 07:52 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,958 times
Try adding avocado to your daily diet. Its a very healthy fat, which you need, and has added calories. You can eat it in salads, add to salad dressing, add to protein shakes, etc.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:35 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Nope.
Great tasting clean food makes me lose portion control...lol!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:12 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,962 times
For me, I did similar things that the OP is doing, and ended up losing WAYYY too much weight. Now, I am putting it back on, but healthy with very high protein content, and only carb load at the beginning of my day (healthy carbs, not the candy crap). I also weight lift, and do cardio. I am taking in now around 2500 calories/day, and maintaining 5'10" @ 170 lbs.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:13 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
What is stored body fat, if not an energy source for your body to tap into? Can it not be used as energy while calories consumed through your diet get devoted to muscle growth (provided you devote yourself to a proper strength training routine)? I've read more about the subject this evening than ever and I'm now 100% convinced happens, particularly with those new to lifting or those just getting back into shape along with us that have the accessible fat to burn. I'll post before and after bod pod results in six weeks to prove it.
No, beginner gains are nervous system related.

The body does not willingly tap into body fat unless it absolutely needs to. Our past is one of food shortage, not surplus. Body fat=survival so far as the body is concerned, more so then a little extra muscle.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:16 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Totally in agreement. Probably not going to have the same gains in pure muscle mass that I would if I devoted myself to a clean bulk diet, but for my goals of looking better naked, I need get my body fat percentage down before anything else. If I can gain a couple pounds of lean muscle in the process, it's a win-win by eating at a deficit.

What I'm most amazed about is the level of satisfaction/lack of hunger I feel since I cleaned up my diet, even at reduced calories. I hope it lasts. I still have my cheat days once every 10 days, but even then, I try to limit calories to no more than maintenance levels.
Protein induces satiety, when your eating a lot of it it is a lot easier to be in a overall caloric deficit.

Looking good naked is as much about muscle mass as it is low bodyfat. Being lean w/ no muscle mass is not a sexy look. Something to keep in mind. People think if they lose their bellyfat they will have a nice 6 pack underneath, reality is you have to build a 6 pack.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:43 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,406 times
No problem. Butter, ribeye, and peanut butter gets me there quick.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:25 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times
Sometimes unhealthy can be the healthiest thing you can do for yourself.

Keep in mind the reason supposed unhealthy foods taste so good is the fact our bodies actually see them as healthy. Why? They are a rich calorie source of fats, vitamins and minerals not found in your common leaf Our bodies evolved for only encountering such sources but once every few weeks…so you better eat up. Of course that is all different today.

But if you eat like our ancestors, you will be fulfilled.

I maintain a six pack year round and am a fairly built guy. I eat a lot of vegetables, fruit, lean meats and fish, healthy oils, etc. My friends don't know how I do it because when I'm out with them I'm the first to order the hot wings, nacho grande, or bacon cheese fries It replenishes me! Strictly healthy days on end and I eventually feel like crap. Throw a needed cheat meal in there, and I'm good to go for another week.

Isn't this how we evolved??? Surviving on berries, plants and roots for days then suddenly gorging ourselves on red meat, a lucky deer kill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness