Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:27 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times

Advertisements

You're going to get a lot of varying answers but the safest bet is always to cut calories. I'm a huge low carb fan, I just don't do well with carbs, they make me feel sluggish, run down, I have a hard time losing weight while consuming carbs, even when counting calories so the whole low-carb/high-protein diet works well for me but everyone is different, some people absolutely seem to thrive on carbs and can lose plenty of weight even with a relatively high carb diet.

Your first action should be to analyze your current diet and find things that you can eliminate. When people struggle to lose weight, the vast majority of the time they just seem to be consuming far more calories than they actually realize. Our perception of appropriate portion sizes has largely gotten out of wack. I think you'll get your best mileage by keeping good track of your calories, having a stable diet that maximizes the amount of nutrients that you take in.

I'm also a big believer in spiking your diet after a period of time, that is, if you've been sticking to your diet pretty well for a month or so, having a day or two where you bump up the calories considerably can help rev up the metabolism and lead to increased weight loss down the road. Any diet that is too restrictive tends to be one that leads to failure. You need to have a few cheat days here and there to help you get more overall variety into your diet, maybe satisfy a few cravings. People don't put weight on all at once and trying to lose it all at once usually dooms one to failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 10:07 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
The 1500 calorie diet will help you lose weight, but the weight loss will be from fat and muscle mass. So while your weight on the sale might show you've lost 10 lbs, it may really be 5 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscles. You never want to lose muscle mass.

Ideally you should stick to a low calorie diet with high protein. The protein will help minimize muscle loss, while helps you burn more calories in the long run. But don't neglect carbs, they are essential to growing muscle as well. Just keep it to around 25% of your diet.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:00 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I disagree with many of the posts here. Limit your calories to 1300-1500 a day and do enough cardio to burn off 200 or more calories per day. You WILL lose weight. All those people droning on about high protein need to ask themselves, "of all those who lost weight on the Atkins Diet, how many of them have kept it off?" Not many, in my experience.

I eat an extremely high carb diet and always have and I'm as lean as a woman can get, 5'9, 135 pounds. I'd much rather have a box of donuts than a piece of steak.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:23 PM

522 posts, read 721,314 times
there is no ultimate solution;
Everyone's body science works differently.

for me, at 3k CAL intake I went from 230 to 250lbs, but my BF went from 21 to 18%.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,540 times
Hi,
I think that this website may help, it offers several solutions, I personally found there what I need,
http://www.wiki-wellness.com/?cat=8.
If you find answers to your questions, please help the others .
Good luck
Caty

Old 07-31-2014, 12:49 PM

214 posts, read 230,623 times
Normally your body burns carbohydrates for fuel. When you drastically cut carbs, the body goes into a metabolic state called ketosis, and it begins to burn its own fat for fuel.
Continue reading below...

When your fat stores become a primary energy source, you may lose weight.
The Risks of High-Protein, Low-Carb Diets

Some experts have raised concern about high-protein, low-carb diets.
  • High cholesterol.Some protein sources -- like fatty cuts of meat, whole dairy products, and other high-fat foods -- can raise cholesterol, increasing your chance of heart disease. However, studies showed that people on the Atkins diet for up to 2 years actually had decreased “bad” cholesterol levels.
  • Kidney problems. If you have any kidney problems, eating too much protein puts added strain on your kidneys. This could worsen kidney function.
  • Osteoporosis and kidney stones. When you're on a high-protein diet, you may urinate more calcium than normal. There are conflicting reports, but some experts think this could make osteoporosis and kidney stones more likely.
  • Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can dull appetite and cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.
Is a Low-Carb Diet Right for You?

If you're considering a high-protein diet, check with your doctor or a nutritionist to see if it's OK for you. They can help you come up with a plan that will make sure you're getting enough fruits and vegetables, and that you're getting lean protein foods.
Remember, weight loss that lasts is usually based on changes you can live with for a long time, not a temporary diet.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
1,500 calories assuming all else (exercise level) is the same. Doesn't matter. It can be 1,500 calories of bonbons, although energy level on a bonbon diet would probably be too low to do anything.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:23 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,439 times
Personally I think people try to make this too much of a science.
It's pretty simple....eat clean, control your portion size, don't snack on junk food and exercise intense min 30 minutes per day.

I know the title said weight loss, but I actually gain weight due to muscle mass och less body fat.....weight should be irrelevant as long as you cloths fit good and you feel good.

My BMI has me borderline obese and that is just ridiculous.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
low calorie intake with high protein intake.

You can eat more food for the calories contained in protein rich foods, generally.

Also, protein prevents muscle loss, and increases metabolism as it is harder to break down by the body. Ideally you should try lifting whilst on a diet, as this will also prevent muscle loss and also increases metabolism

Old 08-05-2014, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 964 times
Default funding

[url=http://www.gofundme.com/5tca9g]surgery by Danielle Nims - GoFundMe[/url]

any donations help

weight loss aftermath
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness