Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
heck yeah it's empowering for women Not all of us bought in the running gig. I took weight lifting in college. I'm 53 now. I'm not a crossfitter, but I lift weights. And I have to disagree with you. A 200 lb deadlift for a woman is a big deal. Especially for someone such as myself, who has had 2 back surgeries and multiple other injuries. I never thought I would be able to lift weights again. I freaking LOVE it. And yea, I talk about it constantly. And I post pictures and videos of my victories. My friends & family think I'm nuts, but it makes me feel awesome. And my trainers & fellow gym rats think it's great, so I really don't care what my lazy friends (or strangers) who'd rather sit on the couch and complain about being fat have to say.
A lot of people are perfectly fine with being fat and don't complain about it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
A lot of people are perfectly fine with being fat and don't complain about it at all.
Nahhhh, they just complain about things that are linked to being fat... ankle pain, knee pain, tiredness, always hungry, clothes don't fit, etc.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:40 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,933 times
I've had an extremely positive experience so far with crossfit. I love the community and the people I've met, it's so much more positive and exciting than anything else, aside from of course my team sports in high school. For what it's worth, I know proper lifting form. Also, our coaches are very dedicated to proper form and giving newbies a LOT of attention, and they stress light weight/no weight if you are unfamiliar with a move. They will walk over to people and tell them to remove the weight until they get the technique right.

I never talk about crossfit, unless someone asks me about it. The crossfitters at my gym are dedicated, but I feel it's pretty normal once we all leave.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Joke:

Q: How do you know if someone is doing Crossfit?

A: Wait ten minutes and they'll tell you.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:23 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I don't really believe that, but I think you are joking. Most people who are fat have issues, but they will most likely not be aware of them, or deny that they exist. Denial is not a river in Egypt! but it gets people off your back...too bad it eats people from the inside out.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:03 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Seriously.

I don't feel the need to invade every conversation with my biking or lifting acumen, but people I know who are into Crossfit don't just talk about it, they talk about it every time they see me as if I am dying to hear how they destroyed their joints today.

It must be really tough on Vegan Crossfitters, because I think their brains would explode as they agonize over which one to talk loudly about first.
Ive brushed shoulders with a few crossfitters, and they were never annoying or abrasive or overly talkative about it.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:14 PM

522 posts, read 721,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Nahhhh, they just complain about things that are linked to being fat... ankle pain, knee pain, tiredness, always hungry, clothes don't fit, etc.
Quote:
I don't really believe that, but I think you are joking. Most people who are fat have issues, but they will most likely not be aware of them, or deny that they exist. Denial is not a river in Egypt! but it gets people off your back...too bad it eats people from the inside out.
so much this!!

And to question of why lifters dislike Cf'ers.. CF'ers are -typically - the sort of people who do curls in a squat rack

Old 07-24-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
A lot of skinny people with those problems as well (except the clothes don't fit part). Physical pain, various disorders and conditions, psychological issues, etc., inflict people of all shapes and sizes.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
LOL…And non-overweight people are all perfect people with no issues? Come on. People are people -- I think we all have crosses to bear, regardless of body weight. And when you say most people? You mean most, as in over 50% of overweight people have issues? How do you know that? As for me, I am 5'10", 175lbs, and one of my biggest issues is the fact that I can't enjoy eating as much as many overweight people I know.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
My Crossfit buddy complains of these afflictions on a regular basis (except for the clothes not fitting), and he's not overweight. Oh, you can add wrist pain and sciatic-like pain to the mix as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness