Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 PM

288 posts, read 255,591 times

Advertisements

So I'm contemplating signing up the the east bank club before my next b day ( otherwise the membership fee is 500 instead of 250) monthly would be 130 and goes to 180 next year. I would join in September when the weather gets worse, and it's 5 min from work meaning I could work out at lunch. It's a huge facility with many " extras" which are all extra of course. I do work out daily, and my building has a small gym, but again limited. What would be your top price for a gym/ club membership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,222 times
I am torn because I don't actually need a lot of the "extras". I don't really do the classes and do most of my workouts with some dumbbells, a bosu ball and a treadmill. However, I will pay for the peace of not being in an over-crowded clean place with good equipment. I pay $45 a month but I would probably go up to $100 or so if it were the only good place around. I don't spend a lot on myself but I need my gym. It's my therapy.

(PS-I just joined this site, this is my first post).

Old 07-12-2014, 09:32 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
$10 - seriously, it's a gym. I've paid $130 per month thinking I would use amenities like saunas, pools, the newest equipment and nope, I only need a treadmill and the weight machines.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:37 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Whatever my work will reimburse. I dropped my gym recently, so I'm on the prawl for a new one.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:48 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,577 times
No more than $25-30 per month max. All that extra stuff that drives some of these gyms up to in excess of $100/mo is unnecessary to me.

All I need is free weights, a bench, a squat rack, and some cardio machines for when it's cold or raining outside.

I've never seen anything in those $100+ gyms that justified their obscene prices in my opinion. That's seriously over $1200 a year just for a gym membership. I'd expect all their members to have the bodies of gods spending that kind of money.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:58 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Only gyms I would pay for would be either Equinox or Crossfit. Both will range from $135 to $175 per month. Since I just sold my house in order to prepare to be a bigger and better one, I lost my completely outfitted garage gym.

My previous Equinox membership was $135 per month and I LOVED it. Im a bit of a germaphobe and loved how absolutely spotless and clean their gyms are. Also loved that they had very very good free additional classes and great vinyasa yoga instructors. But for the most part, I really loved their cleanliness and how you never find people (teens) there hanging out.

Crossfit really needs to explanation. It is just flat out the best training you can get. I have no problem paying $200 a month for my daughter to learn rhythmic gymnastics, and I have no problem paying almost that amount for myself for learning what I believe to be the BEST fitness/health related training around. Never skimp or be cheap when it comes to your health.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:38 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Wow, I had no idea that CrossFit was so expensive. But I havent' really shopped gym memberships in awhile, I've bounced back and forth between 24hr and LAFitness because I need a place with childcare. I liked 24hr fitness slightly better but they wouldn't take my daughter til she was a year old and LA fitness will watch them at 6months... She's starting preschool this fall and I'm looking forward to exploring other options including CrossFit

Old 07-13-2014, 01:44 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Wow, I had no idea that CrossFit was so expensive. But I havent' really shopped gym memberships in awhile, I've bounced back and forth between 24hr and LAFitness because I need a place with childcare. I liked 24hr fitness slightly better but they wouldn't take my daughter til she was a year old and LA fitness will watch them at 6months... She's starting preschool this fall and I'm looking forward to exploring other options including CrossFit
Crossfit has it's purpose, however, it has a lot of negatives behind the scenes. The cost is pretty high, 135$ a month around my parts will only get you a few workouts a week. 300$ for most fulltime memberships. I did crossfit for a few months, I got smaller, and I thought some of the movements were unhealthy. So I gave it up and went back to lifting heavy weights with more controlled movement and safety.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:12 AM

732 posts, read 968,578 times
I never saw the need to join a gym when I could easily do some exercises at home and go jogging or cycling outside for cardiovascular exercise free of charge... but I suppose if it's bulging muscles you want then a gym is the place to go to use their machines.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 AM

288 posts, read 255,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Only gyms I would pay for would be either Equinox or Crossfit. Both will range from $135 to $175 per month. Since I just sold my house in order to prepare to be a bigger and better one, I lost my completely outfitted garage gym.

My previous Equinox membership was $135 per month and I LOVED it. Im a bit of a germaphobe and loved how absolutely spotless and clean their gyms are. Also loved that they had very very good free additional classes and great vinyasa yoga instructors. But for the most part, I really loved their cleanliness and how you never find people (teens) there hanging out.

Crossfit really needs to explanation. It is just flat out the best training you can get. I have no problem paying $200 a month for my daughter to learn rhythmic gymnastics, and I have no problem paying almost that amount for myself for learning what I believe to be the BEST fitness/health related training around. Never skimp or be cheap when it comes to your health.
Equinox here is I think 100 or below, it's nice but it's way too far. The other that's closer is David Barton gym, which is only a bit cheaper but further
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness