Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:23 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,197,331 times

Advertisements

OK, so Now I am slowly losing my motivation for getting thinner . I have stalled at 5'11" and 180 lb, which is still 15 lb below my ideal figure limit. At this point, my thought is "I cant take it anymore. Enough weight loss".

But many of you here are thinner and far fitter than me, and if all of you were able to do it then so should I. Tell me, how did you motivate yourselves to go the extra few miles and attain your ideal figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:31 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,567,233 times
No offense, but you sound like a woman. Also, in other threads you claimed to be 6' tall. Did you somehow lose an inch of height? Men should be concerned with lean muscle mass and strength, not being thin.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:30 AM

877 posts, read 1,315,811 times
Are you a man or woman?

Before I eat something, I generally ask myself how it will benefit me. Will it provide me nutrients to keep me healthy? Will it fuel my workout? Will it keep me energized throughout the day to keep me from crashing midday? Will it give me energy? Will it provide me with magnesium or potassium so that I won't be as sore or so I won't get menstrual cramps (i'm a girl, sorry for tmi!) Will it provide me with B vitamins to help control the symptoms of endometriosis (again, girl, tmi)?

If I've been good all week then I'll treat myself.

I also ask myself if I'm genuinely hungry. If I have a craving then I'll drink a glass of water, wait 15 minutes and then decide whether or not to eat a snack. And i'll generally reach for a piece of fruit or some veggies (like sugar snap peas or edamame).

And no liquid calories for me. This all helps keep my diet in check.

I do have a HUGE sweet tooth so the motivation truly has to come from within. For example I do avoid processed foods, simple carbs and sugars because my dad has type 2 diabetes. I know that by living a healthier lifestyle and by NOT giving into my every craving that I can reduce my risk and it's worth the effort, even if it doesn't turn out how I want later in life.

I will tell you that I've been able to successfully lose weight when I focus on my health versus appearance. I'm also much more motivated to work out and exercise when I focus on the health benefits versus the aesthetic aspect. Of course that doesn't mean that I don't do certain exercises for the aesthetic benefits, but health is first and foremost. It took me years to change the way I think about my diet and exercise (in general).

If I am looking for an extra push, well, that's where pinterest and tumblr come in handy, for what are likely obvious reasons (pics).
And I always keep in mind what Kate Moss said...

Anyway, the point is the motivation has to come from within and you have to truly desire it.

I'm a girl and I'm trying to figure out if you're a guy or girl...I don't understand mens weight and height but I don't think 165 is a goal many men want...

Old 07-13-2014, 11:42 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,197,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
No offense, but you sound like a woman. Also, in other threads you claimed to be 6' tall. Did you somehow lose an inch of height? Men should be concerned with lean muscle mass and strength, not being thin.
Yes, seems like it .

I am a guy in my early 20's. A year ago, I was 209 and 6'. I wanted to get down into the 165-170 range. Right now, I am hovering around 180 lb. I have been finding it very hard to lose weight beyond this point.

See, in 8-9 months I was down to 180 lb from 209. But now, I still stay the same in spite of having the same diet + exercise regime. I don't understand what's happening. This has been a concern for me. I just need to lose 10 more pounds, and things will be perfect. Why is it so hard for me to do this. I appreciate the muscle gain in past 6 weeks, but weight has stayed constant.

I have come this far, and dont want to give up. But getting there seems less realistic every day.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:25 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,326,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Yes, seems like it .

I am a guy in my early 20's. A year ago, I was 209 and 6'. I wanted to get down into the 165-170 range. Right now, I am hovering around 180 lb. I have been finding it very hard to lose weight beyond this point.

See, in 8-9 months I was down to 180 lb from 209. But now, I still stay the same in spite of having the same diet + exercise regime. I don't understand what's happening. This has been a concern for me. I just need to lose 10 more pounds, and things will be perfect. Why is it so hard for me to do this. I appreciate the muscle gain in past 6 weeks, but weight has stayed constant.

I have come this far, and dont want to give up. But getting there seems less realistic every day.
Because you don't want it bad enough.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:44 PM

19,005 posts, read 27,550,234 times
Problem is, things will never be perfect. You'll reach your goal, then your metabolism will figure out your "perfect" diet, and you will start gaining weight again.
Or, you will say - OK, now I want to lose another 10 lbs.
So you are 182 cm tall. Your ideal weight should be 82 kilos, or 182 lbs.
Hence, you are at your healthy weight. Now, is your weight coming from the right places? Do your HTW and HTW ratios and see what the numbers are. Hip to waist and height to waist. If they were OK, than stop eating yourself alive, and be happy. Or, read the very first sentence I wrote. It's matter of point of view and mental set, not weight loss.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:25 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,139 times
Quote:
Yes, seems like it .

Dude you've just stalled out. You have said elsewhere that you don't really focus on diet and lost the weight over the course of 9 months w/ exercise alone. That plan obviously isn't going to cut it from here on out. You need to drop your calorie intake, start focusing on your diet. Getting truly lean is tough for the vast majority of people, if it were easy then way more people would get there.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:35 PM

4,557 posts, read 5,406,580 times
Quote:
OK, so Now I am slowly losing my motivation for getting thinner . I have stalled at 5'11" and 180 lb, which is still 15 lb below my ideal figure limit. At this point, my thought is "I cant take it anymore. Enough weight loss".

But many of you here are thinner and far fitter than me, and if all of you were able to do it then so should I. Tell me, how did you motivate yourselves to go the extra few miles and attain your ideal figures.
Dude, first of all, lose the "figure" talk. That's what chicks do. You are a DUDE!! Dudes don't care about "FIGURES", we care about getting "ripped", "jacked", "yoked" etc. Please please please please lose the "figure" talk.

Now, with that being said, instead of thinking about a goal weight, start setting goals on your workout. THIS will make sure you are on the "getting fitter" path which is much much much better than being on the "losing weight" path. For example, run a mile, make note of your time. Tomorrow, try to beat that time. Track what weights you use for different exercises. Note how many reps you do, then try to increase either the reps or weights next time out.

Focus on getting BETTER not thinner. That is the key.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,018 times
The best motivators are vanity, sports and needing to lose the weight for work, i.e. making weight for the military or you're an actor playing a skinny guy.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 PM

15 posts, read 12,967 times
You need to set a goal and start working towards it. Make it something like you want to run a 5K or a Spartan Race or whatever it may be. And start training for that. Focus on getting better and faster and you will find yourself getting leaner. Focus on being healthy not thin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness