Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 04:11 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
a 2 way multi use path pedestrians should walk to the left and cyclists should ride to the right. This wya there's no 'sneaking up'

Pedestrians tend to walk across the entire path too and not pay attention. That's why I have an air horn on my bike.
Cyclists can be pretty oblivious as well, like when they ride in traffic lanes designed for cars. Nobody has a monopoly on courtesy or being rude/oblivious and I think it is important to remember that in these types of discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 05:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Sounds like you have the right of way. Those bell ringing cyclists are one of my biggest pet peeves. Yell at them next time settle down and deal.
Where I moved from those bells are required by law.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:07 PM

793 posts, read 1,418,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Cyclists can be pretty oblivious as well, like when they ride in traffic lanes designed for cars. Nobody has a monopoly on courtesy or being rude/oblivious and I think it is important to remember that in these types of discussions.

I don't know of any roads that are exclusive to cars, but I'm on the west coast so maybe it's different here.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:39 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I'm sorry if this is the wrong subforum, I just didn't know where else to ask this question!

On a path with no signage indicating right of way for bicycles or pedestrians... who should have right of way?

I ask because today my babies and I went to a popular park to walk on the path around the lake. There is always a mix of parents with strollers, joggers, walkers and a LOT of cyclists. The path is wide with a line down the middle so people can keep to the correct side, dependant on direction.

Today, after a while in the stroller, my 1 year old started fussing to get out and wanted to help me push the stroller (double stroller with his 1 month old brother in it). So, we were walking along, albeit a bit slower now as I was going at my 1 year old's pace.

Most cyclists and joggers past around us no issue.

Then, I heard a bell ringing behind me and even though I ensured the cyclist had ample room to pass she started yelling and cursing at me to "get off the path!" And get out of her &#$% way. Even though she had at least 2 clear yards to the side of us to pass, she came so close that her bicycle clipped a toy that was hanging from the side of the stroller. Even as she passed, she was still yelling and swearing, saying we were "too slow" for the path.

I'm so confused. I've seen 80+ year olds taking lazy walks down the path.

That aside though, should pedestrians step off the path onto the grass for cyclists coming up behind them to pass? Or should cyclists just cycle around pedestians?
Pedestrians have right of way in all circumstances. Someone on skates or skateboard has to yield to you. Two way bike path? Walk on the right, as you would drive, so the faster traffic can pass on left. As far as your speed, is there a posted high/low limit posted? I doubt it though some places do post a high limit in crowded areas in an attempt to slow down those on wheels. There are some pretty heavily trafficed bike paths here in the DC area and I have been victim of those who don't pay atention and, IMO, can't ride. I know they terrorize pedestrians.
I always call out "Left!", as do most cyslists when passing, and most pedestrians know the drill.

You can congregate on the path. I doubt you are impeding bike traffic to the point of any real concern; just leave a lane open.
I love the atitudes of people who are so much more important than others, especially when doing something as mundane as riding a bike. I go out of my way at times and pass people off the trail so I don't need to bother with them. It's faster and no fuss; no muss. Mine is a mountain bike so offroad is nothing.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
I don't know of any roads that are exclusive to cars, but I'm on the west coast so maybe it's different here.
Exclusive, no. Not said, nor implied. But plenty of cyclists seem to think it's okay to ride in the middle of the lane when there is plenty of room to stay to the right and allow cars to pass. This is a profound lack of courtesy to drivers. There also seems to be a strong correlation between those who are content to slow traffic and those who seem to believe red lights, stops signs, and other basic rules of the road don't apply to cyclists. I've witnessed this while living on the West Coast, Colorado, and the East Coast. That's just roads. I can go on all night about the a$$holery encountered by cyclists on trails and paths in all locations I've lived. But rather than focus on that I think it's fair to acknowledge there are bad apples in every group, as well as those who are perfectly courteous.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:20 PM

498 posts, read 977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Exclusive, no. Not said, nor implied. But plenty of cyclists seem to think it's okay to ride in the middle of the lane when there is plenty of room to stay to the right and allow cars to pass. I've witnessed this while living on the West Coast, Colorado, and the East Coast. That's just roads. I can go on all night about the a$$holery encountered by cyclists on trails and paths in all locations I've lived.
Actually, it is okay. With a very few exceptions such as highways, a bicycle is entitled to the use of a full lane on the road. Most cyclists prefer to keep to the side because it's courteous and often safer, but should a cyclist decide to ride right down the center of the lane, it is his legal right to do so anywhere in the US.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
Actually, it is okay. With a very few exceptions such as highways, a bicycle is entitled to the use of a full lane on the road. Most cyclists prefer to keep to the side because it's courteous and often safer, but should a cyclist decide to ride right down the center of the lane, it is his legal right to do so anywhere in the US.
Understood. I am aware that cyclists have the same rights as cars when using a traffic lane. However, it is the safe and courteous thing to do to move aside and allow faster moving traffic to pass. The exact same courtesy cyclists expect from runners or walkers when riding on a trail.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:49 PM

284 posts, read 378,845 times
As a cyclist, I apologize for their behavior. If I come up behind someone moving slower than me - no matter WHAT their speed, I wait until I have a clear path to pass them -- EVEN IF IT MEANS STOPPING COMPLETELY until I can safely pass.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:12 PM

793 posts, read 1,418,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Pedestrians have right of way in all circumstances. Someone on skates or skateboard has to yield to you. Two way bike path? Walk on the right, as you would drive, so the faster traffic can pass on left. As far as your speed, is there a posted high/low limit posted? I doubt it though some places do post a high limit in crowded areas in an attempt to slow down those on wheels. There are some pretty heavily trafficed bike paths here in the DC area and I have been victim of those who don't pay atention and, IMO, can't ride. I know they terrorize pedestrians.
I always call out "Left!", as do most cyslists when passing, and most pedestrians know the drill.

You can congregate on the path. I doubt you are impeding bike traffic to the point of any real concern; just leave a lane open.
I love the atitudes of people who are so much more important than others, especially when doing something as mundane as riding a bike. I go out of my way at times and pass people off the trail so I don't need to bother with them. It's faster and no fuss; no muss. Mine is a mountain bike so offroad is nothing.
It's much safer for pedestrians to walk against faster traffic, because then both parties can see the other. (Bicycles should ride with traffic)

That said, I gave up riding my bike on MUPs. I'll take my chances on the road. (And I do keep right, and I do follow traffic controls.)

Plus riding your bike at any decent speed on a MUP is just dangerous.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Sounds like you have the right of way. Those bell ringing cyclists are one of my biggest pet peeves. Yell at them next time settle down and deal.
I got the cutest bell ever for my bike but I have hardly used it. Feels so abrasive! When I am on a path or sidewalk with pedestrians I slow way down, so I am basically a little faster than the pedestrians. At 5 or so mph, and pass when safe. I think that is the most polite thing. So you don't scare people.

If the path is packed, I walk my bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness