Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:13 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I tried yoga but preferred tai chi (sometimes spelled tai ji).

Just to add another option........
You have piqued my interest - why do you prefer tai chi? I might look into that. For some reason, I can't seem to get into going to the yoga class, even though I have thought about trying it for some time. I guess I don't really see myself as the yoga type, the constant tai chi movement might be more to my liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 08:52 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,202,768 times
Tai chi makes me feel more graceful. (yea, may be dumb but this is ME I'm talking about. )

It's not just a physical exercise-the brain gets involved too. Sort of like patting your head and rubbing your stomach.

The movements are done standing, improving balance and posture. There's also a focus on breathing correctly, as in yoga.

Dare I post this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5QhaNR8IKM

This is not a beginner's form-this woman must have taken classes for years.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:19 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times
I haven't tried yoga but any exercise that increases flexibility and range of motion is a good for you.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:31 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I tried yoga but preferred tai chi (sometimes spelled tai ji).

Just to add another option........

This is another good option. There are many similiarities between taiji and vinyasa yoga. Vinyasa is more flowing like taiji.

Yoga is usually more physically demanding than taiji, but if you can find a taiji instructor who teaches the form and external and internal chi gong (qigong) movements it can be just as physically challenging.

Good suggestion PAhippo. Hope the OP still comes here to check in on her thread to see this.

EDIT: I should add that I have more than 20 years experience teaching taiji/qigong. I do both yoga (vinyasa) and taiji (yang) and am a huge fan of both.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 08-07-2014 at 10:24 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 PM

202 posts, read 265,063 times
I love yoga and I used to belong to a great studio in my area for $100/month. Yoga is great for you mentally and does wonders for toning arms (no other strength training exercise has given me as toned arms as yoga). However, I had to stop doing yoga on a regular basis because I have sciatica from a herniated disc. The forward back bends and deep twists can aggravate sciatica. I do pilates and I believe it is much safer than yoga for those have a pre-exisiting injury, especially relating to the spine. Some pilates postures are even used in physical therapy.

I also really enjoy barre and would recommend checking it out if you like yoga and pilates. It's a great workout for the core and legs.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:05 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Which is better for beginners, hatha or vinyasa?
How suited to beginners any class is probably has much more to do with the individual teacher and sequence than whether or not it's Hatha or Vinyasa.

That said I think it's a really good idea to do some of both and I suggest trying a studio where you can switch between the two.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:14 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,159 times
I am trying Yoga for the first time ever tomorrow. A relatively less intense Vinyasa class (per the instructor). I am currently working out (lifting or biking) 5 days a week. I figured doing some yoga on one of my rest days would be good for both recovery and flexibility -- so I'll be testing out that theory tomorrow!

I used to be a "yoga's not for me" kind of dude, but the more I've thought about it, the more I think it might have a great place in my training regime, especially now that the intensity of my other workouts has picked up. I really need something for flexibility/recovery!

Old 08-11-2014, 07:18 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
I am trying Yoga for the first time ever tomorrow. A relatively less intense Vinyasa class (per the instructor). I am currently working out (lifting or biking) 5 days a week. I figured doing some yoga on one of my rest days would be good for both recovery and flexibility -- so I'll be testing out that theory tomorrow!

I used to be a "yoga's not for me" kind of dude, but the more I've thought about it, the more I think it might have a great place in my training regime, especially now that the intensity of my other workouts has picked up. I really need something for flexibility/recovery!
Hey, me too! Only my class is on Wednesday. I have gone back and forth whether I want to do yoga or not, but figure I might as well give it a chance. I am planning on trying the tai chi also on Friday. I definitely need some flexibility with my strength training!

Old 08-17-2014, 06:17 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
I feel at my best when doing yoga regularly.

Mostly I've done Iyengar Yoga which has a precise focus on body alignment and uses props like blocks and straps to assist those who are less flexible or injured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness