Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:03 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
+1. For running, I prefer the cold.

I know plenty of athletes. High level amateurs and some pros. For running, the vast majority prefer the cold.

When the weather is really bad, I slow it down. OP, I suspect your body will adjust. Until then, I would go easy - long slow runs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:21 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I live and train in Phoenix and am training for marathon distance trail running races, so have to put in a lot of time in heat and for a month during our monsoons a lot of humidity. Last week the dew points were in the 60's and one day of 70's along with 80-90 degree temperatures. Just as a point of comparison I do have one really hilly 5 mile trail loop that when I run it in the winter with temps in the 50's or 60's my best time is about 42 minutes and change. Two weeks ago I timed myself on the run trying to do my best effort in 90 degree temps and I was a little over 46 minutes.

Even on my long easy runs I have noticed that in the winter I'm at 9-10 minute pace in the winter and 11-12 minute pace during the summer. So hot weather adds about 1-2 minutes per mile to my pace. For my longer runs I train with a Nathan hydration pack and fill it with ice and it stays cold for up to three hours in Phoenix weather.

I'm lucky in that I can drive 90 minutes to cooler places to train. When I need to run longer than two hours I drive up to the mountains and train there for the day. Yesterday did a 5 hour hike and the temperature never got over 70 degrees, drove 2 hours back to Phoenix and it was 110.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
^^ Refreshing to see someone from LA give advice on bad weather runs

LOL. Hey, Im in the valley so I am super qualified to give advice on running in the heat.

I laughed at the OP where it was posted that running in plus 85 degree temp was not recommended. Its not like anyone here (on CD) is running for any serious distances. Even I, who considers himself a non-runner who only does 3-7 miles per day prefers the mid to upper 90s temp. I don't really consider myself a "runner" because I have friends who are "runners" and they do 10k and half marathons like its nothing. Me, I am just a guy who likes to run to keep the body fat way down.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:03 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
My thresholds are 25 degrees and 80 degrees. Otherwise, I stay indoors. Humidity only bugs me if it's about 65 degrees or hotter.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 AM

4,618 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Training in the Heat | Running Times

Every 10 degrees F above 55F decreases your speed by 3-6%, on average.

Maximum Performance Running: Temperature + Dew Point For Pace Adjustments

This one has a big chart based on dew point and air temperature.
It's saying if you run, usually, at 75F and 40% RH (50F dew point), your running 1% slower than optimal.
If now your running at 80F & 75% (72F dew point) OR 95F & 30% (60F dew point), your running 4-5% slower than optimal.

Impact of weather on marathon-running p... [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

And here's an actual study that more or less confirms it.
Also adds that the slower you are, the more you are effected by heat & humidity.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:51 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Also adds that the slower you are, the more you are effected by heat & humidity.
That's interesting! I sort of thought that, too. I feel better when I bike vs. when I walk in the humidity and it's not just the breeze on my face because often there isn't but I'm sweating more so I'm cooled down better.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:15 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
My experience is acclimatization is the biggest issue. Running in high heat and humidity when you are not acclimated will beat you down quickly. I have found that you get acclimated after 4-5 runs in that particular weather. I recently spent time in central Florida and got in six runs. Temperatures were rarely below 90 degrees and very humid. It was difficult at first but I got used to it by the end.

I have also found that you are more affected by heat and humidity the longer you run. Many of the websites that were sited here were giving stats on marathon running. I have found that I can run 5K races in 90+ degree temperatures once I'm acclimated with little effect. 10Ks are doable but you start to notice the effect. I think the longer distances combined with higher temperature result in dehydration issues.

I ran with a heart rate monitor for around 15 years and noticed humidity had more of an effect on my heart rate than heat. Sometimes I was surprised at high heart rates and then realized it was because of the humidity even though it wasn't that hot.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Training in the Heat | Running Times

Every 10 degrees F above 55F decreases your speed by 3-6%, on average.

Maximum Performance Running: Temperature + Dew Point For Pace Adjustments

This one has a big chart based on dew point and air temperature.
It's saying if you run, usually, at 75F and 40% RH (50F dew point), your running 1% slower than optimal.
If now your running at 80F & 75% (72F dew point) OR 95F & 30% (60F dew point), your running 4-5% slower than optimal.

Impact of weather on marathon-running p... [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Interesting. I go by my own personal performance stats though. I track every single run and even the temp, I can say that the hotter it is, the better my performance. This is true for 5k, 5 miles, and 7 mile runs. Havent gone farther than that so I cant say whether or not my performance is effected on longer runs. But definitely on the three distances I listed, I do much much better in 90+ degree temp.

I will also be investing in one of those training masks that simulate higher altitude training as well. www.trainingmask.com Would be interesting to see/track my results in running in high heat thin air.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 PM

166 posts, read 243,452 times
Tennessee in the Summer is my favorite time to run. High heat and humidity be damned.
I do see a huge improvement when temps drop into the 60s with lower humidity. Anything over 4 or 5 miles in the middle of summer and it really hits me but I love it. I really feel like I did something. That and I have a perfect place to run next to a river that I can jump into to cool off afterwards. Its 50 degree water temp year round makes for an excellent cool down.

OP, I typically run as much as 1-2 minutes per mile faster in cooler temps.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I prefer cool weather for running, not too cold though.

Humidity is what kills me though. I remember doing a 4 mile run in Bangkok years ago, this was at like 5 in the morning. The temperature wasn't too bad, maybe mid 70's or so, but the humidity was very bad. After the run, I felt horrible, and suffered a bit of heat stress. I was nauseous and light headed for a few days afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness