Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:06 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Human feet aren't meant to run on concrete or asphalt period back atcha. I get the natural thing but shoes serve a good purpose for many people. We've been wearing some sort of foot cover for many many years. But bottom line is that running on asphalt or concrete is not natural. But hey, go nuts.
Asphalt itself isn't natural. If you have to run on it, you're better off in barefoot shoes vs. running shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:13 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
use the barefoot shoes. Yes, they work.

Humans are meant to run barefoot. Nike is a freaking scam.

Unfortunately, my barefoot shoes only get worn in the gym now. The foot flexure from a barefoot is inefficient for pedaling (I switched from running to cycling this year).

You could also say that Humans are meant to die at age 45 and better nutrition is a scam.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 PM

13 posts, read 12,907 times
Many people believe that we were meant to run barefoot, but not on man-made surfaces. What they don't get is that man-made surfaces are far less challenging to bare feet than most natural surfaces are. The Barefoot Runners Society Barefoot Runners Society boasts over 6,000 active members, and for the most part all of their mileage is done barefoot on paved surfaces.
It works. As some of them are quick to point out.....40,000 years ago people who didn't believe in barefoot running got EATEN!
Attached Thumbnails
Barefoot running for fun and fitness-10462999_290953031077286_9169353017981730935_n.jpg  

Old 09-05-2014, 07:57 PM

13 posts, read 12,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
use the barefoot shoes. Yes, they work.

Humans are meant to run barefoot. Nike is a freaking scam.

Unfortunately, my barefoot shoes only get worn in the gym now. The foot flexure from a barefoot is inefficient for pedaling (I switched from running to cycling this year).
Foot flexure is more of a problem with flexible shoes than it is with bare feet for cyclists.
Many triathletes and cyclists are riding barefoot on barefoot specific pedals and doing fine. The foot is strengthened and functioning using the muscles correctly for the activity, and the toes are actually grabing the pedal on the up-stroke.
Plenty of discussion on barefoot cycling over at The Barefoot Runners Society Barefoot Runners Society.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:26 PM

371 posts, read 337,821 times
I think the main problem again is people who have never run barefoot in their lives go out and run several miles barefoot.

I waddle around in flipflops all the time(have done several backpacking trips in flip flops and several hikes where shod people questioned the sanity of flip flops-they figured for sure I was going to have blisters by the end!), played basketball in vans, and the like. I did track in HS but was a sprinter-suffered from maddening shin splints. I would occasional run distance with a roommate but it was simply too boring.

I got into running barefoot fairly recently. But I spent the first few days walking barefoot-maybe a mile or two on various terrain(asphalt, concrete, gravel paths and hiking trails). My feet were a bit tired from doing that. Only recently have I begun running-and never at a fast pace, and not for very long.

I think the key to running barefoot is a change in cadence and running style...and a realization that time should not be a focus but simply enjoying the sensation of plodding along and feeling the dirt on your toes. Your cadence should speed up and this will help you land softer. Also, running slower will mean that you will be able to scan to avoid stepping in stuff. Asphalt and concrete are really not that big of a deal-you just won't be galloping on it like you might with normal running shoes...which will save your joints the stress as well. Of course-slightly soft dirt is definitely the funnest...I am not too big a fan of grass as it is visually complex and makes it harder to pick out things that you might not want to step on.

Longbas: Thanks for the link! I have cycled barefoot a few times-though I would worry about your feet getting slice by the chain potentially. I love cycling in flipflops(irrational I know!). For those who run barefoot but cycle an easy solution is to leave your shoes with your bicycle when you run. I just leave my flip flops next to the bicycle but if I was truly worried I could always put them through the U-lock.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:32 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Hey, if it works for you and you enjoy it, I can't think of a reason not to. Some people don't run on trails through woods because they trip on roots, rocks, uneven ground - even with shoes on. At least you're running!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness