Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 08:46 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
True. Its always between "My thyroid issue is why Im fat" or "My depression is why Im fat".
Great thing about exercise, losing weight, healthy eating is that its a PROVEN method of curing depression and when people do this, they realize they don't need meds, they realize that the "thyroid" issue is just in their minds.
If they have been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder it's not "all in their heads". For some folks it's not just a "fluff" diagnosis...there are serious medical issues that can arise from some thyroid disorders/diseases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I was diagnosed when I went to my doctor and said I had all the symptoms of depression. Except depression.

He said -- Oh, that's a blood test.

A week later I was on meds. Took almost two years to normal out -- the dosage I needed to take was too much of a hit for my body and gave me heart palpitations... I had to ease up to it, and then I needed a higher dosage and went through it all again.

It does make it harder to lose weight, because of the lack of energy, and your body is resistant to losing weight. Doesn't make it IMPOSSIBLE, but it does make it harder.
I've been dealing with this BS for 3 years, just changed docs. I have Hashimoto's, I'm still not "normal" and it's quite frustrating. I'll level out for a bit and then my symptoms come back. I just had all of my labs run again...I'm tired of blood tests every 8 weeks or so but I'm more frustrated with the symptoms.

I didn't go to my doc because of weight (I wasn't overweight)...I went because it felt like I constantly had someone's hands around my neck (like I was being choked). That got emotionally exhausting to deal with...I remember crying at the dinner table quite frequently because I couldn't eat. I felt like my throat was always swollen and it was hard to swallow. I started losing my voice as well; it was really raspy and I would go through bouts of laryngitis. My periods were HEAVY and very frequent (about 20 days apart), my eyebrows were half missing, I had bald patches in my eyelashes, my skin was dry, my heart rate was so low I'd feel like I was going to pass out and I had no short term memory. I went through all kinds of testing....labs, all kinds of imaging, several biopsies...etc over a few years time. I was put on reflux meds, anti-anxiety meds and was told to go gluten free (even though my biopsy came back normal).

My doc finally did a blood test for TSH and it came back abnormal, but not that much out of normal range. I went to an endocrinologist and they ran all the labs and did an ultrasound and it resulted in my diagnosis. Not long after I started on meds the choking feeling was gone. My thyroid was so enlarged and inflamed that it was literally choking me and pressing on my vocal chords. My T4 and T3 are still not in agreement...so I believe I'm starting on a T3 supplement once my labs come back.

I would like to lose about 10-15 lbs to put me more to the lower-mid weight range for my height/frame but that's been extremely difficult when hormone levels are out of wack.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 09-05-2014 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
I think the OP is awfully dismissive of the real problem thyroid issues can cause a person who is suffering from it to the point of it being almost offensive. Just the thought of making such a thread shows a lack of knowledge or research into the subject of thyroid disorders or their affects on hormones and metabolism.

Likely they are blaming thyroids because they have a medical diagnosis of low thyroid activity (hypothyroid), causing not only a slowing of metabolism, but also negative affects on how the body processes sugars and carbs, greatly increasing the threat of weight gain even on what might be a "normal" diet for someone without a thyroid issue.

Yes, I understand the common belief that people who are overweight do not take responsibility for it. I am sure people fall into that category. However, that doesn't mean everyone does. Dismissing any other possibility is doing a disservice to the diverse and potentially adverse affects of so many things on our human chemistry which we are now routinely subjected to.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:54 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,707 times
Let's say that thyroid issues are more frequent than they used to be as they were not recognized...

So what?

It might be a reason that some people are 20 or 30 pounds overweight. Not a 100.

When you're 100 pounds overweight? it's simply because of your lifestyle.

Easy to change it ? no. True? yes.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So you want to tax someone based on genetics? Something that one has no control over. One can choose what they eat and how much (to an extent) but one can't choose who are their genetic parents. There's several different studies and reports that tie obesity and genetics. The CDC even lists it as a factor. Does it mean you can't get it, yes. HOWEVER, it is one more risk factor you have to overcome. Here are some sources of it being at least one single factor.
CDC Features - Obesity & Genetics
New Genes IDd in Obesity: How Much of Weight is Genetic? | TIME.com
Is Obesity Hereditary? Yes, With Exception: Researchers | Medindia
Genes identified in common childhood obesity -- ScienceDaily
Where did you get that from? I stated I was against taxing someone based on obesity.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Read the thread. Some people have posted valuable information about the effect of water fluoridation and chlorination on thyroid. Also, hormonal changes in women can affect thyroid. At some point between 40 and 60, many, possibly most, women will develop a thyroid imbalance. Why out-and-out thyroid disease is fairly prevalent is a still being researched.
The US is not the only place to fluoridate its water, not everywhere in the US has it, and in places that have it also have stark difference in their obesity rates, so sorry, there is absolutely no correlation between fluoride in the water and obesity.

Obesity rates are high for those under 40, and the US is not the only country with women over 40. Obesity is high for both men and women over and under 40.

While you are stating your items in your post, you seem to think no other country in the world is subject to the same conditions, like hormonal changes, and even in the US, it is clear to see the obesity rate differences throughout the country. If it was something as simple as hormones and thyroid, the rates would be more consistent.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Where did you get that from? I stated I was against taxing someone based on obesity.
Did you read the rest of the quoted post? I posted numerous links that obesity is get this at least partially genetic.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Did you read the rest of the quoted post? I posted numerous links that obesity is get this at least partially genetic.
I am not sure I am understanding; I do not disagree with you, not sure where the mis-communication is.

While I did not explicitly state so, and my reasons were different, the end result is the same; I do not think there should be a tax on obesity.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:38 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Do people in Knoxville have the same salaries as those in DC? I doubt it.

"Education" has little to do with it; it is the media/food network that is promoting food in a massive way and the wrong way in most cases, plus people unwillingness to work out, and their inability to buy better foods! I can assure if give the financial opportunity most people will shot at Whole Foods, but the prices there are just not affordable for many. That's it. It boils down to money in the end.
Yep to you. Honestly, go to a thrift store and look at a cereal bowl from 30 years ago and a cereal bowl today. The bowls from my wedding set hold 9 ounces. The bowls from my new set? 22. That's a whole box of cereal.

Go to a restaurant. The other say I got a SIDE SALAD instead of fries. The bowl it came in was a square 9 inches. Thankfully I asked for dressing on the side -- I saw a salad brought out -- looked like they used the whole bottle on it.

And it hasn't gotten better -- it's gotten WORSE portion wise -- I used to bring home half... Now it's 2/3 of the order -- it's all too much food, and people are shoveling it in, and if portions are cut people will feel like they are gypped....

Old 09-05-2014, 10:41 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I agree, I believe diets carry a temporary mentality. People need to view food in a whole different way to be successful in the long run. But losing weight is really tough no matter how it's done. It's like telling an alcoholic or drug addict "it's easy to quit, just stop doing it" lol yeah, the concept is easy but the execution is hard.

As it is right now, I'm consuming 4-5000 calories training for my triathlon. My body is constantly craving food, especially carbs. I could easily over eat and surpass 10,000 calories of I don't force myself to stop....and that's really hard for me, Lol
Yep. I guess I was thinking of some males who eat anything, then decide to watch what they eat and the weight just goes.

Triathlon,

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
If they have been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder it's not "all in their heads". For some folks it's not just a "fluff" diagnosis...there are serious medical issues that can arise from some thyroid disorders/diseases.

I've been dealing with this BS for 3 years, just changed docs. I have Hashimoto's, I'm still not "normal" and it's quite frustrating. I'll level out for a bit and then my symptoms come back. I just had all of my labs run again...I'm tired of blood tests every 8 weeks or so but I'm more frustrated with the symptoms.

I didn't go to my doc because of weight (I wasn't overweight)...I went because it felt like I constantly had someone's hands around my neck (like I was being choked). That got emotionally exhausting to deal with...I remember crying at the dinner table quite frequently because I couldn't eat. I felt like my throat was always swollen and it was hard to swallow. I started losing my voice as well; it was really raspy and I would go through bouts of laryngitis. My periods were HEAVY and very frequent (about 20 days apart), my eyebrows were half missing, I had bald patches in my eyelashes, my skin was dry, my heart rate was so low I'd feel like I was going to pass out and I had no short term memory. I went through all kinds of testing....labs, all kinds of imaging, several biopsies...etc over a few years time. I was put on reflux meds, anti-anxiety meds and was told to go gluten free (even though my biopsy came back normal).

My doc finally did a blood test for TSH and it came back abnormal, but not that much out of normal range. I went to an endocrinologist and they ran all the labs and did an ultrasound and it resulted in my diagnosis. Not long after I started on meds the choking feeling was gone. My thyroid was so enlarged and inflamed that it was literally choking me and pressing on my vocal chords. My T4 and T3 are still not in agreement...so I believe I'm starting on a T3 supplement once my labs come back.

I would like to lose about 10-15 lbs to put me more to the lower-mid weight range for my height/frame but that's been extremely difficult when hormone levels are out of wack.
This is a good post. I was diagnosed after losing my half my hair in 3 weeks after a stressful event.... I also had the choking feeling, & developed a raspy cough. In hindsight I had suffered my entire 20s.
My first TSH result came back as 0.001.. I can't recall T4/T3. I also had brain fog, memory loss, chronic muscle cramp.

What some posters might note is, those who have posted their experiences list a whole host of other issues outside of weight.

I'm not sure if you have looked into foods that should be avoided? There are some that wreak havoc.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I am not sure I am understanding; I do not disagree with you, not sure where the mis-communication is.

While I did not explicitly state so, and my reasons were different, the end result is the same; I do not think there should be a tax on obesity.
The "tax" is higher premiums. Think about it for a second, smoking for instance is "taxed" due to Obamacare (basically removing the tax credit if you smoke) does not have any real hereditary link, it is entirely chosen if you start or not. Obesity, however is, not as clear as there is health issues including thyroid problems as well as hereditary rather than just reckless behavior like say smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness