Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:51 PM

218 posts, read 394,334 times

Advertisements

I usually go on the elliptical or do a walking video with weights between 5 and 7 days a week. And I work out hard adding in 30 to 60 second intervals. The days I skip I get really crabby and down and feel like if I don't get in a good 30 minutes a day I'll have a heart attack or stroke. Especially now that I'm 40. The days I get up and do 30 minutes in the morning I'm in a better mood all day (also because I'm glad I got it done) but the days I don't, I think about it all day. How I can't do anything until I exercise, how I don't want to do it but I have to or I'll feel worse Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 01:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
For a while, I was working out hard 2+ hours a day 6 days a week.

Yeah, I felt TERRIBLE on any extra off days.

I don't think the just physical withdrawal is that but I do think you may be having a problem psychologically.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:00 PM

218 posts, read 394,334 times
I used to do an hour or more a day when I had a fitness center at work and I felt guilty don't any less but I feel like if I work out really hard for 30 minutes I feel like it's a good workout.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:45 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Not normal. I can't go a single day myself without running at least 7 miles every morning to start my day. It's definitely a psychological issue.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:02 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Not normal. I can't go a single day myself without running at least 7 miles every morning to start my day. It's definitely a psychological issue.
I have heard from multiple trainers that it's not good for your body to exercise every single day. You really need that rest day at least one day a week for your body to repair itself and prevent any injury in the future. It's especially important for a high impact exercise like running. However, I understand the guilt associated with not exercising. I do it 5 days a week, sometimes 6. I don't do it nearly as intensely as hawaiian does, but the days I miss, I feel guilty, like I'm lazy or something.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:15 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,228,257 times
I have been pretty much side lined for the last month due to foot and shoulder problems. I don't know about being depressed but I did feel like I was cheating myself.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:20 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,512 times
Feel the same. Depressed today, havent exercised since Friday. Gotta get something in today and its a big struggle to get off the couch, get dressed and go to gym. Or go get groceries- we are out of everything incuding bread and milk. Know once I exercise I will feel well enough to at least feed my family.

Mines also weather related.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:35 AM

451 posts, read 563,078 times
It's definitely all mental but not necessarily to the point of a psychological problem, as some may have suggested, unless it gets real bad.

For instance, I hate rest days. They are my slowest most depressing days of my week (not literal depression, but I just don't like it). I feel tired and sluggish and constantly think about hitting the gym. A little bit of anxiety perhaps. The only thing keeping me away from the gym is knowing that my muscles need the recovery (I'm into building mass etc). I think this is normal for a person that works out avidly. You just have to learn that it is for the best and your body isn't going to break down (and you're not going to lose out on any gains) by resting.

I would think that this would be a psychological problem if it is interfering with your life in an abnormal way that goes beyond some general crabbiness, etc and gets into real anxiety or something similar. But what do I know, I'm no psychologist.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:50 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
I feel like a blob but not depressed unless I look in the mirror and see something scary looking back at me

Old 01-20-2015, 02:22 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,410 times
I don't know -- I don't work out every day, but I do 5-6 days a week. I don't mind my off days, because they are important to my recovery. But if I drop below, say, 4 workouts in a week, I frankly start to feel like sh**. Especially if I miss too much weight lifting. It's pretty integral to my well being at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness