Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:51 PM

120 posts, read 110,388 times

Advertisements

I don't do yoga but I do a daily stretching regimen that lasts from 30 to 39 minutes or so.

First part is laying down, second part is sitting up, third part is standing up. Each part is 10 to 13 minutes depending on how good the stretches are feeling and if I want to hold longer or want to extend a bit to increase my flexibility........and how good the music is on Pandora that morning.

Stretches are accumulated from my time in Navy boot camp, Navy ROTC Unit and Navy Officer Candidate School as an OC, and a variety of stretches from the book, "Stretching" by Bob Anderson that I picked up back in 1980 while overseas in a Navy Exchange bookstore.

As a 57 year old, I attribute a lot of my "very good" health and fitness to my stretching and to a varied regimen of exercises, workouts, and physical activities. Married to a good woman for over 32 years helps a little bit.

As a matter of fact, I just had a routine, 6 month, medical check up yesterday and everything was "in the green".................and my prostate was exactly where my doctor searched for it.

A Google search for "yoga for men" resulted in 117 million hits. I'd say there's some good info out there.

I'd be interested in doing yoga and with my years of stretching, the transition to challenging levels might not be too bad.

Interesting subject and informative responses. Thanks OP and thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
DDP Yoga rocks for guys... taught by a former pro wrestler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWBl2v0S4BQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shPjl0R5kHo
Agreed. YRG (Yoga for Real Guys)/DDP Yoga (the same thing depending on when you first heard of it) is amazing. Yes it is a program in a similar but not as hard extent as P90X, Insanity or others BUT it allows you to go from beginner to expert. Plus you can choose if you want the extreme programs or extra or just get the basics. They also give you MP3s as well. I highly recommend this program. It's not as hoosha, as traditional yoga is (I've done it with Discovery Health and in college) and it's encouraged to be loud.

Oh and ladies, it's not just for men....

Old 09-06-2014, 02:43 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,961 times
I loved doing yoga; and would still be doing it if not for constraints on time and other factors. In the classes I've been to it's usually been a pretty even split between men and women, or if there were more women, it would have been more like a 60-40 distribution. I live in Southern California, though, so it might be different elsewhere in the country, and in other countries.

Yes it's a strenuous workout, even if it's just traditional Hatha yoga rather than some newer varieties which are even more demanding. I say "demanding", but it's not like you have to do it, as if you were in boot camp.

IME the yoga classes offered by traditional health clubs like Bally's or Spectrum are a joke; if you've taken one and came to the same conclusion, you'll find that the classes offered by yoga studios are much better.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:49 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Hell No. I'm a runner, which means I'm extremely inflexible. It took me a year of stretching everyday to be able to touch my toes sitting down.

I physically couldn't do yoga. I have the range of motion of John McCain and no desire to expand it.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:05 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalorian View Post
hell no. I'm a runner, which means i'm extremely inflexible. It took me a year of stretching everyday to be able to touch my toes sitting down.

I physically couldn't do yoga. i have the range of motion of john mccain and no desire to expand it.
lol

Old 09-06-2014, 09:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Hell No. I'm a runner, which means I'm extremely inflexible. It took me a year of stretching everyday to be able to touch my toes sitting down.

I physically couldn't do yoga. I have the range of motion of John McCain and no desire to expand it.
I'd seriously suggest DDP Yoga then. There's a famous case-study who was a part of the DDP Yoga system who was a war vet from Desert Storm that couldn't really touch their toes either. This is his journey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 AM

88 posts, read 192,258 times
Well, yoga is the best thing that one should have to follow for doing daily workout and keeping your body fit and healthy.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:08 AM

17,585 posts, read 15,259,939 times
I'm starting a beginners class this week to try it out. Will let you know how things work out.. I don't much care for running, treadmills and the like.. So, inspired a bit by the Arthur Boorman/DDP Yoga story to give it a shot.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:35 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
I go to about 20 yoga classes a year. Have been doing that for about 2 years.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:51 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
I practice vinyasa yoga everyday. But I must admit, I hardly think showing videos of DDP or that one dude who used to be fat is going to get most guys up and out into yoga class. Its videos like THESE that makes guys (ME) want to do yoga (along with all the awesome benefits of regular practice provides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY3L1e7lP8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Q-2qSFVh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVqymyyZ1jY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness