Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 01:36 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,706 times

Advertisements

I was really making progress losing weight and getting back into shape, when I came down with achilles tendinitis/ plantar fasciitis. I have a lot of pain in my heel, got a cortisone shot and the Dr. said to let it rest. This has been discouraging but I am trying to think of ways to get aerobic exercise that aren't going to bother my heel. All I can come up with are bicycling and swimming. I tried to still do the elliptical but that only made it worse. Does anyone have any other ideas? Also any ideas on how to get rid of this problem would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 02:53 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean View Post
I was really making progress losing weight and getting back into shape, when I came down with achilles tendinitis/ plantar fasciitis. I have a lot of pain in my heel, got a cortisone shot and the Dr. said to let it rest. This has been discouraging but I am trying to think of ways to get aerobic exercise that aren't going to bother my heel. All I can come up with are bicycling and swimming. I tried to still do the elliptical but that only made it worse. Does anyone have any other ideas? Also any ideas on how to get rid of this problem would be welcome.
I got rid of plantar fasciitis by stretching more. Here is a video that shows a stretch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q0MUfIL_cA
I do the one where you pull the toes back.

I also did a lot of calf stretches. I did them not just once a day, but three or four times a day, including when I first got out of bed. Also, look up stretches for the achilles tendon. I do those too.

I also took some time off running and biked and swam instead. I still only run three times a week and bike or swim the other days.

Some people recommend foam rolling or wearing sneakers all the time, but neither of those worked for me.

Finally, when I went back to running I reduced my miles way down until I was able to do it without pain. Then I gradually increased them again by no more than 10 percent per week, and went back down if I had any pain. I also avoid a lot of hill work. And of course, you have to make sure you are wearing good running shoes (like from a running store where they fit you) and that they are not worn out.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:33 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,128 times
There is a boot you can wear when you sleep to minimize AT. Also rolling your foot on a frozen water bottle. You need to consult with a sports physician. This is not difficult to get rid of, I'd had it several times over the years.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
I never had Achilles problems but did have PF problems. The fix to this for me was to do a few miles of barefoot running every week. Obviously with any problem of this kind you have to start with rest to give yourself a chance to heal. Once you heal, you can create stronger feet by running barefoot. I started w/ a 400 meter barefoot run and slowly worked my way up to the point where I was running 2-3 miles. Now I feel like my feet are bulletproof.

I am not a barefoot nut--never read Born to Run, but I like things that work, and this has worked for me. I still run 90%+ of my miles in shoes. Don't get me started on the elliptical. That is the absolute worst thing for your feet IMO. Your foot stays flat & stiff, not flexing at all, and that translates to weak & susceptible to injury. How do your feet feel after a 90 min drive in your car? That is the same effect created on the elliptical.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:27 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,506 times
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ype=blogs&_r=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness