Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:38 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,391,418 times

Advertisements

The law considers there to be special places for being naked, outside of these places its considered "lewd" to be naked. Changing rooms are one of the places that are considered normal to be naked, as are public showers and nudist resorts.

It really is sad that we Americans consider the human body to be shameful and offensive. Its just our damn body. If anything our kids should see MORE nude adults (in a normal setting of course) so that when they DO encounter the human body they aren't confused and conflicted. We should train them just to think nothing of it. I seriously believe that sheltering does more harm on a child than simply teaching them about a subject in a controlled environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 02:26 PM

13,534 posts, read 9,940,045 times
Hello again everyone, and thank you all so much for posting your replies.

It seems that a far larger number than I'd expected, are quite happy to exhibit, and see others exhibit their parts in the changing room. Quite an eye opener, this has been.

Just for the record, England, that's where I'm at. Not sure if that makes much of a difference to my prudish outlook on things, but in the region I'm in, the nakedness was somewhat unexpected.

Thanks again.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post

It seems that a far larger number than I'd expected, are quite happy to exhibit, and see others exhibit their parts in the changing room. Quite an eye opener, this has been.

Just for the record, England, that's where I'm at. Not sure if that makes much of a difference to my prudish outlook on things, but in the region I'm in, the nakedness was somewhat unexpected.

Thanks again.
People in changing rooms aren't trying to "exhibit" anything. Theyre just changing and expect to be able to be nude around other adults without being judged. We were all raised to believe the human body is shameful and offensive, therefore this is how we react. Just think, by raising your children this way they will just continue on the process of viewing the body as shameful and offensive.

Now if you did want to exhibit parts there are also special places for that.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:00 PM

13,608 posts, read 20,659,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's a changing room. People get naked. Next time take your kid home instead of changing her there, if you're so uncomfortable about it.
^This.

What's next? There is too much sun at the beach? Too many bad stories on the news? The rain is wet?

Good grief...

Old 09-22-2014, 03:30 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,570,749 times
Quote:

Thanks again.
Actually I bet most people (even in England) are not at all surprised to see naked people in a changing room. It isn't an exhibition hall and people don't go there to show off their bodies. Nobody is on exhibit and nobody is there to check out other people's bodies. They are there to shower and change their clothes. You have to be naked to do those things. How is this a surprise?

Old 09-22-2014, 05:29 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,977,956 times
This is a bizarre complaint - about a girl seeing naked women in a women's changing room, which is there for the purpose of showering and changing one's clothes. I admit I find it a bit odd that some women actually walk around naked - like, walk from the lockers to the shower or the sink and back stark naked - but there are always some women who do that. It's a little unusual, but acceptable in a changing room. One just looks the other way - the really rude thing to do is stare. Same with someone bending over to dry their feet or something - one simply doesn't look. Being naked and not covering up while drying off and changing is not unusual - it's unusual to think people should cover up while trying to do those things. Again, one doesn't look around in a women's changing room, but one also isn't obliged to worry about who they are flashing while trying to get a wet bathing suit off. That's what the room is for, and that's why we don't look around. Finally, I spend a lot of time in pool locker rooms, and have noticed that many women are naked because they are very old, and it is quite difficult for them to get dressed and undressed. Modesty is simply something they cannot worry about anymore - they do what is easiest, and that should be OK in a dressing room. Your wife should have instructed your daughter that in the changing room it is not polite to stare. Her bad.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:13 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,147,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post

And I agree with you back at ya. Since the OP’s post was about being in the changing room with the same gender, that’s what I was talking about that. If a father brings his daughter into the male changing room it can get a bit awkward, if she is an older kid. There’s a rule at the place I go that the boy/girl must be under x years to go into the opposite gender’s area. I can’t recall what the age is, but it seemed appropriate to me.
]
Like I said it has been years ago. I believe we are talking 2nd graders. I had arguments with the Y's management and chose not to continue our family membership. Think about this.. It is ok to bring the girl into the locker room where I am showering and changing BUT if she saw me naked in the hallway outside the locker roomI could be locked up for exposing myself to her.
'

Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Like I said it has been years ago. I believe we are talking 2nd graders. I had arguments with the Y's management and chose not to continue our family membership. Think about this.. It is ok to bring the girl into the locker room where I am showering and changing BUT if she saw me naked in the hallway outside the locker roomI could be locked up for exposing myself to her.
'
That comes down to the law's view on intent. If youre naked where you "should" be then its assumed your not up to any shenanigans. If youre naked where you "shouldn't" be then in the eyes of the law youre up to something and have acted in a lewd conduct.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:17 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,332,231 times
Quote:

Thanks again.
People in all countries get naked in the changing rooms. Why not take her to a bathroom stall instead? That's ann easy fix and the stalls are usually separate from the changing area.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,502,350 times
When did locker rooms start to be called changing rooms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness