Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:31 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,521 times

Advertisements

I also typically return to work after lifting -- I actually keep my protein powder at the office, along with a small tupperware shaker thing. I realized I usually forget to take it to the gym, and I prefer my shake with whole milk to water anyway, so I put the powder at the office.

I don't buy that you need "instant" protein after lifting. That said, it is good to eat something and/or have a shake within an hour or two of working out, because your muscles will be wanting some fuel.

So on a typical day I might hit the gym around 10am after I take my morning calls, finish lifting by 10:40 or so, get a shower, head to the office, then have my shake around 11:15. Then go ahead and eat lunch around 12:30 or 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 12:43 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
If you're a typical American, you're not deficient in anything. Need to get a life, dude!

Old 10-11-2014, 01:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Best source for complete protein is meat. Carbs are important post workout too, in the immediate aftermath one could argue that they are more important then protein.
Actually, mother's milk is the best complete protein, followed by eggs, then liver meats, at least that is what I've gleamed from my own research.

And the human body can only digest so much protein from each meal, with many estimates putting that amount at around 30-40 grams per meal. I see guys drinking shakes with 60-70 grams of protein at a pop -- and I wonder why?

Old 10-11-2014, 01:51 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
The protein powders are ideal. I have recently started making a shake and taking it to the gym to have either right before or right after my workout. If I make it at home, I combine the whey powder and also hemp powder plus a frozen banana (good fiber, carbs and potassium). Tastes delicious and keeps me humming along!

Old 10-11-2014, 02:05 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
I find having a constant pool of protien at all times is sufficient. When I'm gaining muscle, I'm eating 25-50 grams of protein in every meal 5-6 times a day.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:33 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
But what stuff has that? Explain a meal to me? What do y'all eat? Two chicken breasts?

Also, I just recently restarted my workout after about a year long hiatus. I used to be really toned and built it through a push-up and non machine or weights training. Now I gained about 30 pounds and lots of fat. Just fat everywhere I mean its bad.

I started again and had done surprising results the first week. After three workouts I can see the reemergence of some of it peeking through. Now I'm not expecting amazing results after a month but do I have to start ALL over as though I've never worked out before or will my body sort of pick up where it left off and continue?? I've noticed that no matter how much weight I did gain that it was never enough to ever have me lose my v shape or grow an immense belly. I looked like a guy who used to work out but quit.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:44 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Best source for complete protein is meat. Carbs are important post workout too, in the immediate aftermath one could argue that they are more important then protein.
I think this is the right answer. If you are preferentially consuming protein before, during and after a workout (depending on how sophisticated your training is, what you are trying to accomplish and exactly what you are eating) then you may be reducing your endurance and recovery time by decreasing your glycolysis capacity.

For optimal performance you need to have some carbs on tap before and after. Protein isn't as important until you shut your eyes for the night and your body starts doing its anabolic things. Proteins that absorb more slowly (like eggs, dairy, fish, poultry and red meat) may be better for overnight growth. Beans and rice with cheese would be a pretty good lunch for an afternoon workout, for example.

Don't get me wrong, protein powders have their place, but for the casual trainer or fitness enthusiast it's probably not a benefit commensurate with the expense.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:24 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Actually, mother's milk is the best complete protein, followed by eggs, then liver meats, at least that is what I've gleamed from my own research.

And the human body can only digest so much protein from each meal, with many estimates putting that amount at around 30-40 grams per meal. I see guys drinking shakes with 60-70 grams of protein at a pop -- and I wonder why?
Complete protein is just that, complete protein. All the amino acids we need are included. You'll have to clarify what you mean by "best", you must mean the other qualities of the sources, or absorption or something?

It's not so simple as slapping a number on it. 70 grams of protein from a shake is not the same thing as 70 grams of protein from meat that was eaten along with a bunch of fibrous veggies and supplemented with fish oil. It takes a pretty long time to fully digest and absorb that meal, which means amino acids are trickling into your system consistently over the course of hours post meal. I think our body can make use of more then 30-40 grams. I build muscle eating only a couple meals a day, usually only one of which has the bulk of my protein for the day.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:53 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post

Maybe because they realize that different people are different sizes, have different amounts of muscle mass, and burn calories at a different rate?

Are you saying a 150lb man and 220lb man should eat the same amount of protein? In addition, people who take digestive enzymes and a lot of amino acids are better able to digest their food.

My protein sources are this each day:

6 a.m. 1.5 cups egg whites 1.5 scoops protein powder
9 a.m. 6 eggs
12 p.m. 8 oz of chicken or ground turkey
3 p.m. (same as noon)
6 p.m. 50g protein shake
9 p.m. same as noon

Old 10-12-2014, 06:57 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post

For optimal performance you need to have some carbs on tap before and after. Protein isn't as important until you shut your eyes for the night and your body starts doing its anabolic things. Proteins that absorb more slowly (like eggs, dairy, fish, poultry and red meat) may be better for overnight growth. Beans and rice with cheese would be a pretty good lunch for an afternoon workout, for example.

Don't get me wrong, protein powders have their place, but for the casual trainer or fitness enthusiast it's probably not a benefit commensurate with the expense.
This is debatable based on goals. Other than while asleep, during a workout your natural growth hormone levels are at their peak. If you eat immediately before or during the blood sugar/insulin release will disrupt it. If you're training for like an event its one thing, bit for building muscle and losing fat I'd avoid eating carbs about an hr or so before if possible.

Protein powders are worth it for the convenience alone. If you are going to be out a while and not habe good access to other healthy protein sources. When I'm on vacation I rely on them heavily knowing I can't go out to eat 6 meals a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness