Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,997,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Because your form sucks or they clearly aren't focusing just on lifting the weight. Or you focus on strength training and they could care less.

Whatever the "reason" is, someone on steroids 20 - 30lbs heavier than you, who is not, is going to be stronger 9 times outta 10, all given things equal.

Steroids don't just add muscle, they also add strength..

Every other "sign" you mention I'd agree with. However some guys do have "bacne" regardless. Heck, many guys have gynomastia before ever touching a steroid.
I don't use steroids so I don't have firsthand experience, but from what I understand they don't lead to massive increases in strength relative to the muscle they put on. HOWEVER, I do know that PLers use them so they must add strength.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,175,753 times
I'm sure someone brought this up already, but they have personal chefs and personal trainers, which is what I think makes he real difference.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:20 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,164,021 times
I was born in LA and go back quite often. To the actors that live in LA, LA is the type of place that has equal "pressure" and opportunity to do things the natural way and to cheat with illicit drugs. There is no doubt that some actors use illicit drugs, but which ones and for what reasons is only open to speculation.

You also got to keep in mind that it is easier to lose recent weight than to lose long-term weight. An actor who puts on 20 lbs quickly for a role can lose it just as quickly, naturally. Same with muscles: look at body builders when they are between competitions, in the off season, or just taking a few months off from competing--they look more bulky than buff. Yet they can quickly buff up through training.

Another thing to consider is that just because an actor is chubby in one movie and then six months later is buff for another role does not mean that the films were filmed shortly after one another; they could have very well been filmed 1-3 years apart, if not more. Something filmed in 2014 might not get released until 2017 or later even if the entire project was completed in 2014.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:30 AM

10,097 posts, read 9,945,534 times
No one is speculating! That's the point. We are going by the actors own admissions when people ask them how they changed. When they asked Edward Norton how he went from skinny to buff guy, he himself said it took three months and tons of steak. That just put so many people in doubt including Arnold Schwarzenegger who called him and asked him if he was juicing. Same with Christian Bale when asked how he went from a frail guy to a buff guy in batman begins. He said it took six months and a lot of junk food. I mean c'mon!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
No one is speculating! That's the point. We are going by the actors own admissions when people ask them how they changed. When they asked Edward Norton how he went from skinny to buff guy, he himself said it took three months and tons of steak. That just put so many people in doubt including Arnold Schwarzenegger who called him and asked him if he was juicing. Same with Christian Bale when asked how he went from a frail guy to a buff guy in batman begins. He said it took six months and a lot of junk food. I mean c'mon!
Right, because 6 months with a lot of junk food leads to having LESS body fat.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I'm sure someone brought this up already, but they have personal chefs and personal trainers, which is what I think makes he real difference.
So do bodybuilders and fitness models. Bodybuilders especially. They have personal chefs, trainers, and all the time in the world to workout. They don't even have to rehearse lines like actors do or practice their roles. They have the whole year to workout however they want. Yet, they can't accomplish the feats actors do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv
You also got to keep in mind that it is easier to lose recent weight than to lose long-term weight. An actor who puts on 20 lbs quickly for a role can lose it just as quickly, naturally. Same with muscles: look at body builders when they are between competitions, in the off season, or just taking a few months off from competing--they look more bulky than buff. Yet they can quickly buff up through training.
Using bodybuilders (a population known for steroid use) only proves the point further.

Also, the difference is that bodybuilders in the off-season look pretty fat and undefined. Actors put on 20 lb. of muscle quickly and have less fat than their starting point. This is even less credulous.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:51 PM

522 posts, read 717,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So do bodybuilders and fitness models. Bodybuilders especially. They have personal chefs, trainers, and all the time in the world to workout. They don't even have to rehearse lines like actors do or practice their roles. They have the whole year to workout however they want. Yet, they can't accomplish the feats actors do???

i'd like to meet those bodybuilders.
while, yes, Every high end BB i've met (including Kai Greene) have their own PT, none of them had "personal chefs" or "all the time in the world to workout".
As a matter of fact, most of them (sans the VERY big names) have full time jobs they have to have.
And yes, while they don't have to rehearse the lines, they sure as heck need to practice posing, and that is a difficult and painstaking process.

Funny enough, I had this discussion with several IFBB Pros and masters yesterday; we all were in agreemend; in order for one to be a body builder, you have to have a passion and be prepared to spend exorbitant amount of $$ on a chance to make a little bit of cash you spent back. Unless, you're an ultimate machine and/or lucky enough to have a fantastic agent who will get you deals, most of the stuff you said is way way out of the realm.

and what do you mean by a year? Do you honestly think that there is only one show?

Now, I don't know, mayhaps it was the case in the past. All I know is what I see now.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post

i'd like to meet those bodybuilders.
while, yes, Every high end BB i've met (including Kai Greene) have their own PT, none of them had "personal chefs" or "all the time in the world to workout".
As a matter of fact, most of them (sans the VERY big names) have full time jobs they have to have.
And yes, while they don't have to rehearse the lines, they sure as heck need to practice posing, and that is a difficult and painstaking process.
Sir, the mere fact that you think actors have more time to workout than people who BODYBUILD for a living means you need to leave this convo now.

So you think practicing lines and posing go hand in hand? You think the acting life requires minimal effort?

Quote:
Funny enough, I had this discussion with several IFBB Pros and masters yesterday; we all were in agreemend; in order for one to be a body builder, you have to have a passion and be prepared to spend exorbitant amount of $$ on a chance to make a little bit of cash you spent back. Unless, you're an ultimate machine and/or lucky enough to have a fantastic agent who will get you deals, most of the stuff you said is way way out of the realm.

and what do you mean by a year? Do you honestly think that there is only one show?

Now, I don't know, mayhaps it was the case in the past. All I know is what I see now.
I don't disagree with any of this. But if you think that an actor devotes as much time to working out as someone who is a top level BBer, I'd really like to know how you came to this conclusion.

I also don't see how someone who has personal experience with bodybuilders can believe that an actor can accomplish what they can, and without drugs.

Now get back to the actual conversation. Do you believe that actors can accomplish what bodybuilders can WITHOUT drugs?? I'm not talking becoming an Olympia, I'm talking putting on 20 lb. of muscle in a year and being past prime t-levels. I can see a teenager doing this naturally, MAYBE. A grown man, PFFFT.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:59 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,945,534 times
All reports I've been reading have said that Ben Affleck only had five months to prepare for Superman. Now we've all seen the pics of him looking stacked. Could you really go from looking the way he did to that in five months without assistance?

Henry Cavill I might be willing to believe that he did his growth naturally. He was already pretty toned and supposedly accomplished his feat in seven months. Is that possible, Eddie?

Old 11-19-2014, 03:47 PM

522 posts, read 717,131 times
Quote:
Sir, the mere fact that you think actors have more time to workout than people who BODYBUILD for a living means you need to leave this convo now.

So you think practicing lines and posing go hand in hand? You think the acting life requires minimal effort?
Where did I say that?
I have pointed out that your POV of body builders is wrong. that is all.
Posing is also an art, and is taught. It is, if you will, also "reading lines" but with your body.
It is a completely different level of body language.

Quote:
I don't disagree with any of this. But if you think that an actor devotes as much time to working out as someone who is a top level BBer, I'd really like to know how you came to this conclusion.

I also don't see how someone who has personal experience with bodybuilders can believe that an actor can accomplish what they can, and without drugs.

Now get back to the actual conversation. Do you believe that actors can accomplish what bodybuilders can WITHOUT drugs?? I'm not talking becoming an Olympia, I'm talking putting on 20 lb. of muscle in a year and being past prime t-levels. I can see a teenager doing this naturally, MAYBE. A grown man, PFFFT.
what?
where did say that I believed that? If you're referring to my post about the Rock, then you need to learn sarcasm

20lbs of muscle a year with no chemical help is an unrealistic goal. Not impossible - there are some lucky bastards with a great genetics or a genetic defects who can pull it off -but those are exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness