Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 04:06 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,777,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
you just show how clueless you are.
I know him personally, he's losing shows because he's refusing to use.
The TOS is against personal attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 08:27 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,861,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I don't understand this. It's like some feel that achieving this is the pinnacle of health or sexual prowess.
Who is this "some" you speak of? No one I know thinks like that. Women dig it if you have a six pack but just because you don't doesn't mean your fat or even over weight.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:22 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,681,652 times
I have a six pack and I get comments on it, so I would say it stands out as a good thing and I know for a fact women love it.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:39 PM

478 posts, read 805,020 times
For women--no, it's not. Slight ab definition isn't unhealthy, but it's certainly no particular benefit (healthwise) either.

For men--I don't think anybody will seriously contend that a visible six-pack is necessary for health, but if you're lean enough to have abs then you're going to be at very low risk for obesity-related diseases on average. Also, it's much easier for men to be healthy at these low levels of body fat than women. Many athletic men, particularly young ones 18-25, have at least some abdominal definition. These 'normal' sixpack abs are a different beast entirely from the shredded washboard abs on fitness magazine covers (many of which were obtained with the aid of drugs).

Old 11-12-2014, 11:51 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
No, it just means you exercise. It doesn't mean you eat right or take care of yourself.
Eating right and taking care of oneself is the only healthy way to get a six pack. (the unhealthy alternatives are starvation and drugs)

Old 11-12-2014, 02:48 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,987,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Who is this "some" you speak of? No one I know thinks like that. Women dig it if you have a six pack but just because you don't doesn't mean your fat or even over weight.
Read replies.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,380 times
It's mostly media portraying Male-You need to be insanely ripped or have money to be sexy and/or accepted.
Female- Have a big buttock or big breast.
It's things like this is why we have the very sexist peer-pressure bulling society we have today.

Sad really, so many kids today are feel so pressure to fit in because of someone else vision of beauty.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:50 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,529,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I don't understand this. It's like some feel that achieving this is the pinnacle of health or sexual prowess. I don't really see why some think that in order to be "not fat" they have to have visible abs. Like they consider themselves as "having a gut" when they don't have visible abdominal muscles. Where does this stem from?

Healthy body fat levels in many adults don't correspond with even having visible abs. For some people (not everyone), abs are visible only at very low body fat percentages, and in fact these body fat percentages can at times be too low an unhealthy. I'm not saying that people with visible abs are unhealthy at all, I'm just saying that some people (especially men) have this weird idea that if they can't see their abs, they have failed at physical fitness. Why is this?

There may be a little truth to this. A read somewhere that a 4 inch increase in waist size increased a man's odds of having low testosterone by 75%. Also, a man with a 42 inch waist is twice as likely to develop erectile dysfunction than a man with a 32 inch waist.

Having visible abs certainly isn't a bad thing, for aesthetics or general health. It means you have low body fat and do a considerable amount of exercise. Of course, some people take this to the extreme.

Personally, I like having visible abs, a flat stomach and a 33 inch waist. The funny thing is that I do very little direct abdominal work. If I can lose another inch I would be satisfied.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:45 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,905,353 times
When I was in the best shape of my life, where I would run 8 miles everyday after work following a 1 hour weight lifting session where I could lift a solid amount of weight for my size ( to put it in quick perspective I was up to 28 pull ups and benching around 265 as a 155 lbs male) I still didn't have a six pack. People that have six packs probably get paid to work out or look good. Unfortunately most people dont have the time after work to workout for 4 to 6 hours per day. I have no idea how a working person could get six packs without resorting to an extreme diet. I have things to do and life to enjoy rather than worry about every single calorie I put into my mouth. There are things you are missing when you restrict your diet so much so you can obtain a six pack.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:06 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,138,463 times
I can NEVER get a 6 pack .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness