Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 05:53 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS250 View Post
Bro protein intake (0) influence on muscle growth. Don't waste your $. You can grow muscle living on bread & grits...I damn sure do.

Pretty much my reaction to that nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 01:15 PM

187 posts, read 626,402 times
Basically the acute exercise induced increases in plasma anabolic hormones do not appear to play a primary role in enhancing anabolic signalling, protein synthesis and hypertrophy at least in the short term - i.e. increases in muscle hypertrophy appear near independant and despite these plasma increases or lack thereof. Animal models where they've ripped the testicles and pituitary glands out have still exhibited comparable hypertrophy despite the lack of circulating hormones when subjected to muscle overload. Human studies have also shown that hypertrophy occurs even without the acute increases of plasma anabolic hormones.
Local mechanisms - like intra-muscular signalling and growth factors - in response to resistance training are the dominant factors.

I asked Viator what he ate during the Experiment, expecting something as futuristic to standard eating as Nautilus training was to calisthenics. "We ate at a 'greasy spoon' every day" is what he told me. And Jones made sure he ingested a huge daily caloric intake, including a sort of milkshake. But, according to Viator, there was no special effort to divide up his meals into specific macronutrient portions. His diet was high everything: protein, carbohydrate, fat.

Casey Viator and Arthur Jones, part 2

http://www.arthurjonesexercise.com/U...d/Colorado.pdf

No one, repeat NO ONE, before or since has recorded a 67lb weight gain in (1) month. No drugs, no idiotic protein powder, no 3x a day, 7x a week BS routine. Just intensity.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:43 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Basically the acute exercise induced increases in plasma anabolic hormones do not appear to play a primary role in enhancing anabolic signalling, protein synthesis and hypertrophy at least in the short term - i.e. increases in muscle hypertrophy appear near independant and despite these plasma increases or lack thereof. Animal models where they've ripped the testicles and pituitary glands out have still exhibited comparable hypertrophy despite the lack of circulating hormones when subjected to muscle overload. Human studies have also shown that hypertrophy occurs even without the acute increases of plasma anabolic hormones.
Local mechanisms - like intra-muscular signalling and growth factors - in response to resistance training are the dominant factors.

I asked Viator what he ate during the Experiment, expecting something as futuristic to standard eating as Nautilus training was to calisthenics. "We ate at a 'greasy spoon' every day" is what he told me. And Jones made sure he ingested a huge daily caloric intake, including a sort of milkshake. But, according to Viator, there was no special effort to divide up his meals into specific macronutrient portions. His diet was high everything: protein, carbohydrate, fat.

No one, repeat NO ONE, before or since has recorded a 67lb weight gain in (1) month. No drugs, no idiotic protein powder, no 3x a day, 7x a week BS routine. Just intensity.

That article certainly doesn't prove your point. lol

Old 12-03-2014, 09:02 PM

187 posts, read 626,402 times
Show me where anything I posted remotely alluded to ignorantly wasting your $$ on BS protein powder which does nothing but make a supplement company money.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:06 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
I'm big on taste and I usually can't stomach the less expensive proteins you see sold in places like CVS or Rite Aid.

My favorite protein powder blends are Syntha 6 as well as Labrada brand. They taste the best. Maybe not the best nutritional profile.

By the way, why IS it that someone, that one person, always has to come on these threads to attack the concept of the original post, as well as the posters that simply want to discuss the OP?

If you don't like something, fine, then start your own thread.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:22 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,058 times
when I went and tried a variety of diff & cheaper protein powders, I found much more "intestinal feedback", gurgling, and general fart-y-ness.

ON from bodybuilding.com has been ol' reliable for me. The flavor variety beats most competitors, but YMMV I guess.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:34 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Quote:

It takes 3500 excess calories to gain (1) pound.

That means he ate OVER 7000 calories in EXCESS of his maintenance level (around 2000-3000, likely) to gain 67 lbs.

So he was eating nearly 10,000 calories a day. That is how he gained weight. Your whole post has nothing to do with protein shakes at all (even though he claims he drank a sort of "milkshake" each day, which further backs the shake claim)

The fact you posted this shows how much you're reaching and how little you know. No one claimed protein powder is a full time supplement for real food, but it has it's time and place, and certainly the convenience for people who have lives where they aren't able to eat 300+ grams of protein in meat every day.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:01 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Show me where anything I posted remotely alluded to ignorantly wasting your $$ on BS protein powder which does nothing but make a supplement company money.

All you proved was that a guy consuming thousands of calories on a high protein, high fat, unhealthy diet can gain weight without using protein supplements. I think everyone here already knew that was possible. For someone like me who may only get 80-90 grams per day of protein from food a supplement makes sense. I try to have at least a somewhat healthy and balanced diet.

The fact that you said that protein intake has zero impact on muscle growth shows how much you really know.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Back on topic, I will echo what others have said that I like Optimum Nutrition. I buy mine through Netrition.com.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:15 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
The best whey proteins I have discovered was to add lot's of milk to my morning coffee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness