Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 02:07 AM

498 posts, read 977,880 times

Advertisements

I noticed there was already a barefoot running thread but it was four years old so I thought a new one was in order.

I'm a recreational runner. I do a lot of 8k and 10k runs, I average about a 7:30-7:45 10k pace on a good day. Not terrible, but not great. Fairly average I suppose.

I've read a few times about barefoot running over the last year or two. I enjoy going barefoot on occasion but I've never done a run without shoes before (mostly because I've always been afraid of running over a broken bottle).

Well tonight I was in the mood for a good run and went out for my first barefoot run. Ended at 5.50 miles and a time of 53:33, mostly through park paths and around the neighborhood sidewalks (I live in Chicago, there's plenty of pavement to run on). Taking into account a few stops for lights I think I made a pretty good time. I have a few spots on my feet that I'm sure will be horrible blisters when I wake up tomorrow and I can barely stand for the soreness of those spots, but that'll go away within a couple days and otherwise I feel great.

Anyway, I enjoyed myself. Regardless of the benefits the run itself was just a lot of fun. I definitely think this will be something I do a few times a week.

I wondered, how many of you run barefoot? Do you prefer it to running with shoes? Is it more about the physical benefit or the fun to you? Any thoughts on the practice in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 05:54 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
I use to years ago but due to injuries to my feet and back I can do any running any more .
Long as thou keep you weight to a minimum you should be good .
I am heavy boned and was quite muscular but the impact on my bones running took it's tole .
Look toward the future and long term effects of running on concrete much less bare foot.
I love being bare foot and the only practical place is on the sand , less impact on the skeleton frame. more work as well on dry sand , a lot nicer on the beach next to the water.
I miss it so.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I run on the cross-country team at my school and my coach makes the team run bare-foot at the end of practice to "develop the foot muscles"... Of course we run on the grass around our football field and it's professionally manicured daily, so we dont have to worry about what we're gonna step on.... I wouldn't run bare-foot outside of school because I dont know what I'll potentially step on, however....it's supposed to be good for the development of foot muscles and balancing.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:24 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
There is no way in Gods green earth I would run barefoot anywhere can you imagine the germs you would pick up ? not only that but you could pick up a nail , glass what have you and then an er trip is necessary . I think I will stick to my shoes thanks ...I would never suggest someone do barefoot running , but hey it is your choice just weigh the risks .

Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I used to run on grass in the early morning hours until I hit a sprinkler head in the pre-dawn darkness. Never again. Took three years for the big toenail to properly grow.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:29 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
I do it but only at the beach, and only on wet sand near the water. Would never do it at any of the areas where I normally run because of thorns from trees and possible animal (duck, dog, et.) droppings.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:35 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I will do it occasionally on my treadmill at home to help develop the muscles in my foot and work on my gait. Read the book "Born To Run" like everyone else did a few years ago and tried to do some minimalist hiking & running. Got the worst case of plantar fasciitis I've ever had, was in misery for a solid 6 months.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:39 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I run barefoot 1-3 miles at a slow pace at the end of every treadmill session. I feel like it improved the injury resistance of my feet immeasurably. I have considered doing it outside, but never have. But if I did, wow, OP, I would not start with a 5 mile run. I bet your calves are very sore. Mine were when I started running barefoot. I think my first effort was 400 meters, and I slowly added distance from there. I think the furthest I've ever done is 3-4 miles.

I find running barefoot to be fun. You end up with a different gait than shod running..kind of bouncy..hard to describe.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:51 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Ouch. Only on the beach.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:39 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Barefoot on city streets? That's not really the brightest idea. Get a pair of minimalist running footwear - Vibram five finger shoes or whatever. But hey, I ain't yo mama.

And if you think a 7:30 minute pace for 10k is average you must be living on a different planet...nutcake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness